Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there any decent Blow Back Pellet (Not BB) pistols?

Are there any decent Blow Back Pellet (Not BB) pistols?

I have just started to get back into shooting again and still have something missing from my growing collection of pistols. A Blow Back Pellet (Not BB) gun.

Are there any worth considering?

I had a look at the Gamo PT-85 and it was a bit cheap.. Ideally i want something well built (Preferably all metal) which feels authentic, which has a nice mechanism but is still reasonably powerful/accurate.

Are there any guns I should consider?

My collection consists of:

Vintage Crossman from when I was a kid which is currently in bits as I need some parts.
    Even older 'russian' break barrel gun of unknown origin which wouldn't take the skin off a rice pudding, which I have kept because I have fond memories of it from my childhood
    Walther (Umarex) CP88 - My first CO2 pistol which I am quit fond off, but always hated the fact that it had no moving parts and just found it boring to shoot.
    Weihrauch HW42 (.177 and .22 barrels) - My favorite pistol for power/accuracy
    Remington/KWC 1911 (BB) - My favorite pistol for realism (Currently waiting on a replacement as the first one was faulty)
    Umarex 357 Python (BB) - On order.. Not fond of revolvers, but feel I need one in my collection.
    Various Airsoft guns (Specifically bought for Airsofting)

So I just need/want another Pellet gun, which is more like the 1911 in terms of realism, but with build quality of the CP88...

Jon
    Last edited by Jweaver; 24-06-2015 at 11:02 PM.

Check out the Umarex Beretta PX4 Storm, it's a great pistol that fires either pellet or bb.
    Sometimes I sits and thinks, but mostly I just sits.

Quote Originally Posted by hedgemumper View Post
    Check out the Umarex Beretta PX4 Storm, it's a great pistol that fires either pellet or bb.
    Cheers. Looks just the job.. Will check it out.

When it comes to blowback there is simply no question, bb currently wins every time over pellet. There is no need for the complexities and workarounds used in a pellet firing blowback where as the system can be simple and works well for bbs.

The PX4 is probably the best of a bad bunch, but I feel that we are missing out on what could be awesome pellet firing pistols. It is something I want but I think that until they employ proper, non rotary magazines containing the CO2 they are always going to be a gimmick.

There are engineering and design challenges, they are fairly simple to overcome but will cost slightly more to produce (until they become established). They may not even cost much more considering the lengths they go to with current feed systems.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

I agree with blooregard, in fact the Only thing missing in my collection is a blowback pellet pistol, because there is not really anything that take my fancy just yet..

Don't be put off buy guns that are not all metal though, you most likely know this already but there are many real steel pistols Tha have a polymer frame.

Yeah have a look at the umarex px4 storm also the ASG P09, but are quite good, but as blooregard mentioned as yet you cant get a blowback pistol that will lock back on the last shot because of the design of the mag feed..
    If you do go for a px4 storm though go for a brand new one if you can about a year ago they improved the design giving then better accuracy competed to the older versions..

Or wait a little longer, SIG Sauer are bringing out some pellet blowback pistols, youtube it your see some.
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

Quote Originally Posted by Marc.RG1 View Post
    I agree with blooregard, in fact the Only thing missing in my collection is a blowback pellet pistol, because there is not really anything that take my fancy just yet..

Don't be put off buy guns that are not all metal though, you most likely know this already but there are many real steel pistols Tha have a polymer frame.

Yeah have a look at the umarex px4 storm also the ASG P09, but are quite good, but as blooregard mentioned as yet you cant get a blowback pistol that will lock back on the last shot because of the design of the mag feed..
    If you do go for a px4 storm though go for a brand new one if you can about a year ago they improved the design giving then better accuracy competed to the older versions..

Or wait a little longer, SIG Sauer are bringing out some pellet blowback pistols, youtube it your see some.

Had a look.. Found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py3SI9KLsp0

Not interested in the pistol any more... I want an MPX/MCX.. Semi-Auto Belt Fed 30 round magazine (With option for 50 and 70)... And its Pellet.. Not BB.. I WANT!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jweaver View Post
    Had a look.. Found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py3SI9KLsp0

Not interested in the pistol any more... I want an MPX/MCX.. Semi-Auto Belt Fed 30 round magazine (With option for 50 and 70)... And its Pellet.. Not BB.. I WANT!!!!
    I doubt the SIG stuff will come to the UK in rifled form, certainly not the carbines.

It's fine to want Pellets, just know that if you also want blowback as well you are basically asking yourself "Which awful pistol should I buy?".

Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    I doubt the SIG stuff will come to the UK in rifled form, certainly not the carbines.

It's fine to want Pellets, just know that if you also want blowback as well you are basically asking yourself "Which awful pistol should I buy?".
    I thought as much on the Carbine front.. Its fine to dream...

I think you are right on the Pellet/Blowback front.. None of the GBB Pellet pistols seem very good.. I just miss having a true semi-auto pellet gun.. I like my HW45, but its just too big/slow.. And I am not a fan of my CP88, as it just bores me.

I might still have a look at the PX4.. Its only £100 so not the end of the world, but I am not expecting too much....

I am the same with the Umarex Pellet shooters, boring to shoot. Would much prefer to shoot my HW45 or 2240 or any of my bb guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc.RG1 View Post
    Is there a way to identify the "older" version?

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    As usual, you're all wrong!

Aeron BRNO B-96. The end!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

I know it's not Metal, but it feels great in the hand, is probably the most powerful Co2 Pistol out there, was the very first blowback pistol introduced,
    very well made in Germany, top of the list for many, it's the Magnum Research Desert Eagle
    Baikal MP654 MP53M IZH-46M LP53 CP88comp Alecto .177 LB, .22 Tempest .177, .22 Cr 2240 Weih HW45 HW45BS HW70 HW75 XSP180 Cometa Indian Hatsan25 Scorp MKII Benj Trail NP AVOKE Diana P5 Avanti747 * PLUS Over 70, Co2 BB/Pellet Pistols*

Hi chaps, just my opinion you understand but you are all wrong.

CROSMAN 600

every time.
    Cheers.
    Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff555 View Post
    Hi chaps, just my opinion you understand but you are all wrong.

CROSMAN 600

every time.
    Cheers.
    Geoff.
    It's good, no doubting that. Not easy to get hold of though!

I know it's not Metal, but it feels great in the hand, is probably the most powerful Co2 Pistol out there, was the very first blowback pistol introduced,
    very well made in Germany, top of the list for many, it's the Magnum Research Desert Eagle
    NO NO NO NO NO, how dare you, how very dare you. Actually, how very dare you. Awful plastic crap thing with completely needless blowback and one of the worst triggers on any gun. Fancy getting the license to make DE replicas and then wasting it on that thing.

Because of the slide design it is one of the few automatics that Umarex could have made a decent go off as one of their conventional CO2 pistols. I think they wanted to use it as an example of why buying things made in Germany doesn't mean you are going to get something decent.

Also, not the first blowback, you might get the impression I'm not a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by ejackyou View Post
    no it wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    It's good, no doubting that. Not easy to get hold of though!

NO NO NO NO NO, how dare you, how very dare you. Actually, how very dare you. Awful plastic crap thing with completely needless blowback and one of the worst triggers on any gun. Fancy getting the license to make DE replicas and then wasting it on that thing.

Because of the slide design it is one of the few automatics that Umarex could have made a decent go off as one of their conventional CO2 pistols. I think they wanted to use it as an example of why buying things made in Germany doesn't mean you are going to get something decent.

Also, not the first blowback, you might get the impression I'm not a fan.
    right on all accounts. it's a bad gun- they could & should've made it in metal. even if as umarex claim, the slide would be too heavy for the blowback to work, they could've made it metal with an aluminium or plastic slide. & the walther ppk was the first blowback replica.