Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: and they all shout "why buy a gun from europe"

Quote Originally Posted by nimrod177 View Post
    Analysis of European Union data reveals that the UK pays the highest business rates of any country in Europe – and more than France and Germany combined.
    Try running a business when you are up against some of the highest rates in europe.
    Buy your rifles from abroad put your tax into their economy whilst their people are working here and sending money back there. We also have one of the highest fuel prices in europe to boot. On average some rfd's make 10-20% on a gun sale after the tax man has had his cut. I wonder how many complaining about our prices would like to earn just 20% to take home of their wages. By the way sir you earned £1000 this month but we will only give you 20% of what you have earned. If we leave the eu your rifles from abroad may cost you a bit more and then the free trade deal will be gone. If as already said you don't support your own rfd's and they go to the wall then fine but it will be a great loss to many. I quite often have to sort a problem with a broken gun or some other problem a customer has. It is a long way to germany for some of the smaller issues that some rfds provide free of charge or the advice some give to some one who just walks in off the street for some help.
    this chestnut again, if this is the case then explain to me how a product can be made in this country, in a factory that pays such high charges, get exported to another country with all the transport costs involved, and then be sent back here with such a large saving on the list price here, that argument to justify why we get ripped off carries as much weight as the claptrap about why bankers and council leaders get paid so much, all B/S, if RFD`s are on such a low margin then they want to stop buying in the UK and do what every one else is doing and source their stock elsewhere, somebody is coining it somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by neil82 View Post
    this chestnut again, if this is the case then explain to me how a product can be made in this country, in a factory that pays such high charges, get exported to another country with all the transport costs involved, and then be sent back here with such a large saving on the list price here, that argument to justify why we get ripped off carries as much weight as the claptrap about why bankers and council leaders get paid so much, all B/S, if RFD`s are on such a low margin then they want to stop buying in the UK and do what every one else is doing and source their stock elsewhere, somebody is coining it somewhere
    Have to agree
    And does every part of a UK gun get made here ?
    Or just assembled, with even the manufacturer taking advantage of cheaper parts abroad, that would be ironic wouldnt it

Im just about to bite the bullet so to speak on a pcp from euroland, best price I can get here is £745, one email to a euroshop and its delivered for £465

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

shauny is offline Has a taste for the French fancys
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff0100 View Post
    LOL, It's true though, isn't it ?
    certainly is.

By the nature reserve, in the Great Outwood, Wakef
    Analysis of European Union data reveals that the UK pays the highest business rates of any country in Europe – and more than France and Germany combined.
    Try running a business when you are up against some of the highest rates in europe.
    Buy your rifles from abroad put your tax into their economy whilst their people are working here and sending money back there. We also have one of the highest fuel prices in europe to boot. On average some rfd's make 10-20% on a gun sale after the tax man has had his cut. I wonder how many complaining about our prices would like to earn just 20% to take home of their wages. By the way sir you earned £1000 this month but we will only give you 20% of what you have earned. If we leave the eu your rifles from abroad may cost you a bit more and then the free trade deal will be gone. If as already said you don't support your own rfd's and they go to the wall then fine but it will be a great loss to many. I quite often have to sort a problem with a broken gun or some other problem a customer has. It is a long way to germany for some of the smaller issues that some rfds provide free of charge or the advice some give to some one who just walks in off the street for some help.
    20% profit from a sales orintated company is quite a good margin. Comparing it to someone working for a company taking home only 20% of what they earn is just silly

Low power

Just a word of caution if you are buying from a German dealer. The power limit for air rifles in the Fatherland is 6.6 ft lbs, and unless you are buying from a licensed exporter that's what you will get. Not much good for hunting, then...! In Germany hunting with air rifles is forbidden for that very reason.
    Good luck with your imports.
    Dave

£2750 rifle, delivered here in the uk, all within a week, £1600 all in.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    £2750 rifle, delivered here in the uk, all within a week, £1600 all in.
    I think this post says it all. UK RFDs are taking the p***.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Ask yourself this question. An Air Arms S410 sells brand new here for about £595 and you have to buy it face to face. It's made in the UK with parts that cost sterling money to produce.

A dealer in Holland has to import that rifle, paying for it with his weak euros, so for him we are expensive. Far more expensive than manufacturers in the Eurozone such as Gamo, Steyr, Weihrauch, etc.

But the Dutch dealer will sell you that rifle (in euros) for the equivalent of not much more than £500, plus about another tenner to courier it to your front door.

That can't be blamed on the exchange rate.

By the way, VAT in Holland is 21%.
    Could you PM me that source please?

After appalling service from my local RFD who promises 'free servicing and repairs for life'; then, actually provides 'refit the broken spring and fill it with grease, the customer will never notice'.

I have bought my last 2 new rifles from abroad A CZ from Euroshooting in the Czech republic and an HW from DB Scheitsport in Holland.

I take no joy in taking my business away from a UK dealer, but when the local UK dealer is overpriced and provides such poor service I'll vote with my feet.

Why do some UK dealers, have to rip off their customers and provide such awful customer service?

The EU free economy is there for us all to use. The VCR act actually flies in the face of this free trade.

UK dealers can expect loyalty from the customer when they earn it!

I hope a few UK dealers will take a leaf out of the European's book and start providing value & service.

Ouch!
    Last edited by Ouch!; 26-06-2015 at 08:58 AM.
    Ouch!
    Barn Door Scarer
    HW95k .22, HW50s .22, BSA Goldstar SE .177, AA 510 Ult Sporter .177

Quote Originally Posted by Exfelix View Post
    Just a word of caution if you are buying from a German dealer. The power limit for air rifles in the Fatherland is 6.6 ft lbs, and unless you are buying from a licensed exporter that's what you will get. Not much good for hunting, then...! In Germany hunting with air rifles is forbidden for that very reason.
    Good luck with your imports.
    Dave

When i emailed them I was informed you could have the power set to UK limit 12 ft lbs.
    Just be yourself because the people that mind don't matter and the people that matter don't mind!

In better days I bought rifles mail order at good prices, with fantastic service from JSR. Then JSR foresaw the future, and stopped selling rifles . I then bought rifles and had to travel to Michael Tawn, again , great prices and service, now even Michael has concentrated on selling accessories... same great service and prices, (thank you !). As for repairs.. paying for a shop front is expensive, I have been fortunate to find a couple of great guys who can fix/make anything , w/o the added cost of high street shop fronts, so any import can looked after. I don't know how much I saved on my European import... it wasn't available in UK ... Things are changing, I have adapted for my own circumstances, no one else is looking after me, not enough is being done to support our English commercial interests, it is not a "common market", No doubt the predictable result will be to restrict the European connection, as opposed to freeing my English shackles, while everyone stands by.. and does nothing.
    Pick up your gun, shove a bullet up the spout
    It's the Major Dennis Bloodnok Rock'n' Roll Call Tango

Focusing only on business rates is skewing the picture.

Looking at a comparison of corporate taxation, we see that Germany is 29.8%, vs the UK 20%

Quote Originally Posted by Milkybarkid View Post
    When i emailed them I was informed you could have the power set to UK limit 12 ft lbs.
    Unfortunately, not all European sellers provide the required end result. Asking for, being promised 12ft lbs, and actually getting 12ft lbs on your doorstep is totally different. Ending up with 6ft lbs is merely a fixable nuisance.
    Pick up your gun, shove a bullet up the spout
    It's the Major Dennis Bloodnok Rock'n' Roll Call Tango

Quote Originally Posted by jeff0100 View Post
    It is to those of us who haven't got much of it.
    i'm struggling too even though i live in 'affluent' surrey,i have no mortgage because i worked my arse off and got that noose from around my neck.i drive a tatty little car but i absolutely WILL NOT buy from abroad,i support my local rfd and always will.end of.

Quote Originally Posted by CORKY. View Post
    Unfortunately, not all European sellers provide the required end result. Asking for, being promised 12ft lbs, and actually getting 12ft lbs on your doorstep is totally different. Ending up with 6ft lbs is merely a fixable nuisance.
    I would be interested to hear from anyone who has ordered a 12ft lb rifle from Europe and been disappointed with the power.