Thread: and they all shout "why buy a gun from europe"

evenbad Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    Psst.

Hoover is American.
    Philips is Dutch.
    Nah hoover was made in Wales at Merthyr Tydfil

Quote Originally Posted by larrylamppost View Post
    i'm struggling too even though i live in 'affluent' surrey,i have no mortgage because i worked my arse off and got that noose from around my neck.i drive a tatty little car but i absolutely WILL NOT buy from abroad,i support my local rfd and always will.end of.
    Good for you Larry, but some of us simply can't afford to do that, and have to make savings where we can.I buy used myself, and have not had a new rifle in a very long time. I'm sure everyone on here would rather buy from their local shop, but for some of us it's just not possible, end of.
    GOOD DEALS...Here,post 6404

Hi just to add a little to my previous post if I may. Up until now I have bought from dealers here, 1 local RFD wasn't interested in 'air',just too interested in the 'shotgun community'. Tried to get some spares and he said he would try, went back twice and the assistant confessed that the owner hadn't bothered because it was only spares for airguns.
    Bought 2 pcp's but couldn't get any spare mags!!
    Bought an English pcp and it had to be returned 4 times**, the first time a failure after just 3 pellets from new. Despite assurances that it had been repaired and given a full service then found that it had been sorted and fixed by filing and bending part of the indexing mechanism.It failed yet again. Bought the part ( pence) and fixed it myself. Fed up with the non existent service and non existent reliability and got shot of it.
    Bad service and bad attitude, if it was different and had been better then I may not have looked elsewhere.
    By saving on the price by going the EU route then I could not afford to miss the opportunity.
    They were interested, they provided information and tracking etc. simply a pleasure to deal with.
    Cheers.
    Geoff.
    Twice returned because of being hot, fixed and returned but still the same!!**
    Last edited by Geoff555; 26-06-2015 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Made clearer

shauny is offline Has a taste for the French fancys
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff555 View Post
    Hi just to add a little to my previous post if I may. Up until now I have bought from dealers here, 1 local RFD wasn't interested in 'air',just too interested in the 'shotgun community'. Tried to get some spares and he said he would try, went back twice and the assistant confessed that the owner hadn't bothered because it was only spares for airguns.
    Bought 2 pcp's but couldn't get any spare mags!!
    Bought an English pcp and it had to be returned 4 times**, the first time a failure after just 3 pellets from new. Despite assurances that it had been repaired and given a full service then found that it had been sorted and fixed by filing and bending part of the indexing mechanism.It failed yet again. Bought the part ( pence) and fixed it myself. Fed up with the non existent service and non existent reliability and got shot of it.
    Bad service and bad attitude, if it was different and had been better then I may not have looked elsewhere.
    By saving on the price by going the EU route then I could not afford to miss the opportunity.
    They were interested, they provided information and tracking etc. simply a pleasure to deal with.
    Cheers.
    Geoff.
    Twice returned because of being hot, fixed and returned but still the same!!**
    Exactly!, as ive said in one of my earlier posts,the fellas that work in the german and dutch shops
    actually want to be there, unlike the soul- less no nowts that seen to work in a lot of uk shops, and despite
    certain members harking "its not about the money",it is,.why pay twice as much for something?they say
    fools and their money are soon parted

With regard to service in UK gun shops, yesterday I went to Mcavoys near Wigan looking for a cheap project air rifle and they spent 20 minutes rummaging through the basement for proffitless stock.

NOW THAT IS SERVICE, Not saying all dealers are that good but some try hard!

Quote Originally Posted by mikewareing View Post
    With regard to service in UK gun shops, yesterday I went to Mcavoys near Wigan looking for a cheap project air rifle and they spent 20 minutes rummaging through the basement for proffitless stock.

NOW THAT IS SERVICE, Not saying all dealers are that good but some try hard!
    Its a shame that the few good ones get tarnished.....
    But they are the ones that will survive this storm, and in actual fact so will probably the bad ones as 'air' is just a corner that they arnt interested in anyway!
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I'm sure the UK trade is already very aware of the loophole in the VCR bill and are actively seeking more controls on airguns to close it.
    I don't think they are all aware of it , was talking to one last month in a small gun shop over the border from Wales and he told me it was not legal so I shouldn't be doing it (buying from Europe ) also been told in the past by another rfd that it was not legal to buy airguns s/h by post from private seller .
    a gun is just a tool how its used is dependant on the person behind the trigger .
    This is why constant restrictions on legal users will have no effect on the unlawfull use of guns or knives !

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye View Post
    I don't think they are all aware of it , was talking to one last month in a small gun shop over the border from Wales and he told me it was not legal so I shouldn't be doing it (buying from Europe ) also been told in the past by another rfd that it was not legal to buy airguns s/h by post from private seller .
    Mmmmmmmmm....., ignorance or selfish miss information? Either is really really lame! If you cant get truth from somone in a proffesional position especialy with guns being such a sensitive leagal subject, they really dont deserve to be in the position that they are.
    Last edited by rhyslightnin; 27-06-2015 at 08:35 AM.
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

If you have a decent RFD locally or within a reasonable distance who offers a good standard of service you should support them.All these people who buy their airguns from europe will, I take it, when they want a tin of pellets or some other small less expensive item be buying them from europe too where they bought their gun or will they use their local RFD.I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions.
    Last edited by Patrick 2; 27-06-2015 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick 2 View Post
    If you have a decent RFD locally or within a reasonable distance who offers a good standard of service you should support them.All these people who buy their airguns from europe will, I take it,when they want a tin of pellets or some other small less expensive item be buying them from europe too where they bought their gun or will they use their local RFD.I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions.
    well said that man

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    If I had a decent RFD near me then I would support him, I do buy my pellets from him as they are not overly expensive and if I compare the prices to ones off of the internet then by the time you've paid postage then they work out about the same price, if I ever go to Chichester then I always make a special trip to Protek in Bognor to see what they have and I've been using him more recently as although I had a bit of a fruitless start with them (not their fault in theory, although it did say on their website they had the items) they have seemed to have got stock of what I've wanted recently, if I lived closer too them I would be in there every week, my local RFD wanted to charge me £10 for recieving a non VCR restricted Mercury part that John Knibbs ballsed up on and sent to them by mistake and that should have been sent straight to me, I told them the problem and they still insisted, so I told them to send it back, in the end a call to Knibbsy sorted the problem out.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

My local chap is a gunsmith, not a retailer. I and about 50 club members fully support him, with modifications and repairs and servicing. He will act as the receiving RFD for new airgun purchases and he doesn't make any charge. If it's on ticket, then the paperwork is greater and he does make a charge.

The nearest retailer tells me that he can't buy pellets any cheaper wholesale than the prices charged retail in Germany, and he is considering bringing in JSBs from Germany, where he can order say ten tins at a time and doesn't have to commit to 30 tins or so of each size. He said to me the other day, if I stock JSB Exact in 177 in three head sizes, Exact Express and Exact Jumbo, plus JSB Exact in 22 in two head sizes, that's seven different lines and I have to order about 25 or 30 tins of each as a minimum. 200 tins of pellets sitting on the shelf is well over £1000 tied up in lead. I'd rather buy from Germany in smaller consignments, and use the spare cash to stock another rifle etc.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

shauny is offline Has a taste for the French fancys
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick 2 View Post
    If you have a decent RFD locally or within a reasonable distance who offers a good standard of service you should support them.All these people who buy their airguns from europe will, I take it,when they want a tin of pellets or some other small less expensive item be buying them from europe too where they bought their gun or will they use their local RFD.I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions.
    no, mate , fleabay

There are two shops within twenty miles from me.
    One fills my gun up for free and the other is suppose to charge £2 according to a friend but charged me 3.

The former helped my missus when she was looking to surprise me, and got me exactly what I wanted. The latter was more interested in talking to some local arranging a clay shooting comp, than giving me time if day.

I always travel to the gunshop further away, and I will always try to put any business I can their way. I'm quite happy to spend a few quid extra here and there to help keep that shop open.

However if I could source a gun 100's of pounds cheaper elsewhere then I will do because I just can't justify not saving myself that kind of money, when I have a young family to support.

I have principles and morals and I appreciate companies who value the customer, but 100 quid is amost my council tax paid for the month, or my at taxed for the year, and you are a either a fool or too wealthy to care if you can turn that down.

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    Mmmmmmmmm....., ignorance or selfish miss information? Either is really really lame! If you cant get truth from somone in a proffesional position especialy with guns being such a sensitive leagal subject, they really dont deserve to be in the position that they are.
    Well the RFD that said that only traded for a few years because as well as being ignorant of the laws regarding airguns at least his prices were ridiculously ott , basic things like pellets and spare parts ,scopes etc were cheaper online and posted to me than his on the shelf , I argued the facts with him regarding selling airguns but his know it all but wrong attitude gained him very little trade from the gun buying public , I had gone in there with thoughts of buying a shotgun but his second hand guns were priced as much as new !
    a gun is just a tool how its used is dependant on the person behind the trigger .
    This is why constant restrictions on legal users will have no effect on the unlawfull use of guns or knives !