Thread: Valuation help please

Valuation help please

Pictures

These rifles belonged to a friend who died recently and I've been asked to find new homes for them.
    I don't think any of these are of great value, some may be worthless, but there are some nice old rifles here.
    Any advice on the age, model and value of these would be very helpfull.
    I'll start a new sales thread when I have an idea of their asking price.

Pictures from left to right;
    1. Precision? This is just a relic. The barrel opens but the piston is rusted solid!
    2. Diana 27? .177 this has been painted, it shoots well.
    3. Bsa CS47005 .177, no butt, tap, rear sight blade and screw etc.
    4. Bsa L23023 .177, the part dovetailed to the barrel for the lever catch is missing.
    5. Bsa CS40579 (the 7 may be a 1?) .177, I think the trigger guard on this could be from the one without a butt. This shoots well.
    6. Lincoln 14226 .177, tap missing.
    7. Meteor NH91888 .177, Milbro g27 .22, El Gamo .22.
    8. Haenel XX no piston, spring, trigger parts etc, Daisy with no barrel.
    9. 2 x Original 25 .177, one has parts of rearsight missing, the others barrel is pitted 4" from the muzzle. Both work and could be sold together to make a good one.
    10. Airsporter mk2, stock and trigger parts etc missing.
    11. 2 Gems, the one that looks complete has no piston or spring, the other has a piston but no other internals.
    I thought these should sell as a pair aswell.

Thanks for any help, Daz

The Gems aren't worth much as incomplete guns I'm afraid...may be £20-30? may be not ...that's if they are _not_ totally knackered, pitted, rusty relics with sloppy breeches.

The piston and cylinder of a typical Gem pattern is usually machined to fit (piston and cylinder are matched together) so swapping pistons around isn't usually possible without a lot of work, mucking about to make it fit and/or making a new piston head (I know, I've done it a few times). A lot of the other spares are quite specific to each model of Gem too, again requiring work to modify for use in another Gem (even the same model! )...It's not impossible, but to a lot of folk it's just not worth all the hassle to end up with a non-original 'bitsa' gun that is still only worth £30-50 max!

Having said that, if they are T-bar Gems with fully octagonal barrels and swiss target sights fitted? ...then they are possibly Jean Marck guns and are then possibly worth a bit more to nuts like me!...and that is not an offer to buy, just an observation!

Edit: ...I've just noticed the link to pics!...both Gems appear to be the pretty common Langenham/Diana 3L type Gems made just before WW1 (the flat section trigger guard is a dead give away)...Although one is a dollshead and one is a T-bar, they were both sold as the 'Diana 3L' ... lending weight to the theory that these are re-badged Langenhan Gem patterns (these are usually given a number designation in other retailers catalogues of the time). The good news is that you may get lucky and be able to swap the trigger guard straight over from the dollshead to use on the T-bar Gem...although chances are that the sear and maybe even the trigger will require some fettling to make it work...you may even get lucky and be able to swap the piston from the T-bar into the dollshead...as these types sometimes do have a piston washer fitted so it is easier to make one fit the other...

They look savable, so I'll stick by my original estimate of £20-30 for the pair, they are not for me though.

Goodluck with the sale
    Last edited by DCL_dave; 29-06-2015 at 04:36 AM.
    blah blah

Any ideas of an asking price for the BSAs and Lincoln?
    Thanks, Daz

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    Any ideas of an asking price for the BSAs and Lincoln?
    Thanks, Daz

Hi Daz,

I had hoped someone else may have pitched in with advice re the beezers...

If I were you I think I would give them all a quick wipe over with the oily rag, probably take the stocks off and take plenty of pics of each gun, then chuck all bits to each gun in a separate bag and mark it as such (so they don't all get mixed up) and then I would list them all as individual lots with a 99p start on thE BAY (or even do them as a joblot...) make sure that you state that they all have some kind of defect and are for spares or repair!...I think they would sell quite well as projects, for spares and repairs, etc,...you may even be pleasantly surprised by what they fetch going by recent events on that site.

HTH,
    Dave
    blah blah

valuation help

hi daz,it looks like quite a bit of work to value,advertise and sell yourself,holts the auctioneers have a few valuation/consignment days around the country and they would give you good fair advice,i checked their website and they are having a valuation day in hereford soon which i think may be in your part of the world,i hope this was of some help,good luck with it all

DJS
    Like with all deceased properties it depends how much time you want to put into getting ever last bean out of the sale. You can spend days.
    Auction houses have high fees and often can only give stuff away but if there is something important then they usually find the right price (less their fees).

In this case for an efficient sale I would put the whole lot up for £200. I'm pretty sure there isn't a high price item within the collection so it really the case to find someone who enjoys these challenges and happy to pay a bit. At £200 someone will either snap them up or the price is still too high.

BTW this kind of thing isn't my kind of thing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by martin bingham View Post
    hi daz,it looks like quite a bit of work to value,advertise and sell yourself,holts the auctioneers have a few valuation/consignment days around the country and they would give you good fair advice,i checked their website and they are having a valuation day in hereford soon which i think may be in your part of the world,i hope this was of some help,good luck with it all
    i forgot to say that the holts valuation day service is free,also they are a very well regarded firm,their website has a very good archive of prices realised for all lots bad and good,all the best

Quote Originally Posted by martin bingham View Post
    i forgot to say that the holts valuation day service is free,also they are a very well regarded firm,their website has a very good archive of prices realised for all lots bad and good,all the best

Not by everyone....