Thread: fwb 300s valuation

fwb 300s valuation

Please delete post.thanks
    Last edited by WILBA; 02-07-2015 at 01:48 PM.

Bumpy

A couple of pictures might assist in getting an informed assessment.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

As Dale says, pics would help.

They don't come up in a fairly rough external condition very often, so it may be hard to value. The problem is that a rear diopter sight could easily cost £60 or £70 and you'd still end up with a complete, but rough-looking gun, albeit one built to a very high spec originally. But I'm sure there are people who would like to own a 300S in working order and not have to pay the £200 plus that they usually cost.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    They don't come up in a fairly rough external condition very often, so it may be hard to value.
    Generally true, but I did have one pass through my hands that was rough as hell. How someone had neglected it so badly I don't know.

I will see and find out how much I sold it on for as a restoration project.

Sales thread for rough FWB - http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread.php?495624-Fwb300

Got to admit, wish I'd kept it now and done some work on it. I sold it for £70 but when I say rough I am not joking it was in a dire external condition.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Before the advent of pcp 10m target air rifles the FWB 300s would be the weapon of choice for match air-rifle shooters and this is its only real application due to its power limitation. Normally these rifles will have been well looked after by their owners and stored carefully so it is difficult to imagine anyone keen enough to take a chance on this one due to its condition and missing the all important aperture rear sight.
    However it clearly does have a value to someone with the time and expertise to restore it to a shooting condition. Such a shame it has been so badly neglected but pics would help a lot

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Luckily there's a lot of us on here who like a challenge for the right price
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Fwb diopters have come up on herebefore and sold fir 35-40 quid. A good rub down and reblue will sort outthe metalwork. The stock would benifit from a rub down and restain. Last yr i had guys saying on here itwould sell as it is at 140 . Good oneshave sold for 280-300. And a few on here did say this model was better than the model that replaced it. Chris

Space bar on mob knacked soz guys

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    Fwb diopters have come up on herebefore and sold fir 35-40 quid. A good rub down and reblue will sort outthe metalwork. The stock would benifit from a rub down and restain. Last yr i had guys saying on here itwould sell as it is at 140 . Good oneshave sold for 280-300. And a few on here did say this model was better than the model that replaced it. Chris
    Chris, re. the rear sight, in this case you might be better off getting a Gamo-type cheapie diopter, which is modelled on the genuine FWB unit. I think they sell for £20 or so. If you can get an FWB sight for under £40 then great, but it might be a big ask. Egun is probably your best bet for a cheap original FWB diopter. Is the stock walnut or beech?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Dont know m8.original brown stained stock.cant tell. Chris

Condition of the internals is also another factor, the new owner would most likely have to budget for the piston rings, spring etc if no evidence of recent replacement. I have seen plenty of excellent condition examples with no work needing doing sell for £300. Once you price up the cost of a refurb, more often than not, it works out that you end up spending a lot more than the gun is realistically worth. I would want to pay £100 for one in poor condition with a view to refurb, but more than likely just pay the £300 & get an excellent example in the first place.

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.