Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sharp Innova

I bought an Innova in .22 when the design first appeared. I used to shoot starlings around the farmyard using an early form of Barracuda ammo. No scope, just a BSA Reflex. Lots of plastic but the trigger was very positive. At the time, Galway made an excellent replacement silencer unit with a Hammerite finish. Eventually, the stock cracked but it was a handy little rifle.
    Essex Air Ambulance saved my life on 20/08/2010 www.essexairambulance.uk.com

Opposite the cow-field, just outside Dover, Kent

Update

Leapers 2 - 7 x 32 scope arrived today. What excellent value. Clear mil dot reticle, flip up covers and green and red illumination. They even supply a spare battery and it was less than £30.

Suits the Innova well and it doesn't seem too pellet fussy. Was soon printing 5 pence size groups at twenty five yards. More practice tomorrow then off to see the rabbits.

Lovely little rifle and performs brilliantly considering it's age.
    Good deals with Mark3HuntsmanSam, Cannon Fodder, Guy, Jon, Peddy, Negotiator, Devon Shooter, Ninapuppy, Custard 1, Bob Brown, TopDog, Dave The Frame, / Sam99, Ballie, Nautilus21, edbear2, eredel, among others

Quote Originally Posted by Gugglebox View Post
    What were the issues with the Rebel?
    Where to begin?
    The pump pivot wears very quickly and seems to be made of hard chewing gum.
    The blow off valve kicks in at around 8ftlbs and can't be adjusted easily, you can either have 8 or 16 ftlbs.
    It's not accurate, there are reports of the barrel not being butted up to the loading port and pellets clipping the barrel on loading. On the two I tried I couldn't get a group at 25yds and I mean less than 6".
    The plastic breech is made of much softer plastic than the original Innova and the scope moves in relation to the barrel.

Save your money and go for an original Innova.

Quote Originally Posted by Biker_Bob View Post
    Don't go near a Rebel. I tried that and it's a waste of time money and heartache.
    Rebels don't seem to have a very good reputation, which is how a .22 Rebel languished in my local gun shop for ages, unloved and unwanted!
    I offered £90 for it (over the phone) and the dealer shouted 'It's yours! Sold!' I'm glad I wasn't in the shop or he might have man-hugged me!

At four pumps it can flatten a .22 Exact Jumbo pellet (against steel) @15 yards to 15mm diameter. Sorry, I haven't got a Chrono...... I reckon it puts out about 7-8ft/lbs. The valve kicks in on the fifth pump.

I like it. It is very lightweight, fits into a zipped 36" hockey bag for walking down the road to my pal's place and didn't bust the bank.

If it's what you want and you're happy then fair do's. An original Innova will drop pellets into a 1" hole at 40yds all day long. I was just making the point that you shouldn't buy a Rebel expecting to get an Innova.

ive had most of the pumpers in the past. innova ,rebel, blue streak,but the crosman 140 i have now puts em all to shame.

If it's what you want and you're happy then fair do's. An original Innova will drop pellets into a 1" hole at 40yds all day long. I was just making the point that you shouldn't buy a Rebel expecting to get an Innova.
    Sure....
    Cool.....
    This Rebel, with open sights, shot in lazy mode from a plastic chair, can manage a 1/2" group (your 1" hole) at 10 yards and a 3/4" (radius) group at 20 yards. Those are the two range distances that my garden can offer.

Most reports that I have seen about Rebels have been very poor, from faulty valves which 'blow' during the first pump, horrible open sight performance ....... to rubbish scope rail etc etc. In fact, as mentioned, nobody wanted this .22. I must have got hold of a good-un.

The reason why I bought it was that back in the early 90's I picked up a cheap (Far-Eastern?) .177 pump rifle for a few quid and loved it. I had a 'shoot' in a small wood and used to sit-in for pigeons at dusk, using open sights with a special fore-sight with an optic-fibre light which made. At close ranges of about 20 yards it was very good. I gave up such shooting about 15 years ago, but since I am still in to ballistics I decided to have an air-rifle again, just for fun. I would swap it for your Sharp () but it's ok for garden plinkin'.

My main interest now is flight-shooting with arrow-catapults.

Quote Originally Posted by bcham View Post
    ive had most of the pumpers in the past. innova ,rebel, blue streak,but the crosman 140 i have now puts em all to shame.
    The 140 is very nice indeed, but do you own a chrono?

Quote Originally Posted by oldbadger View Post
    Sure....
    Cool.....
    This Rebel, with open sights, shot in lazy mode from a plastic chair, can manage a 1/2" group (your 1" hole) at 10 yards and a 3/4" (radius) group at 20 yards. Those are the two range distances that my garden can offer.

Most reports that I have seen about Rebels have been very poor, from faulty valves which 'blow' during the first pump, horrible open sight performance ....... to rubbish scope rail etc etc. In fact, as mentioned, nobody wanted this .22. I must have got hold of a good-un.

The reason why I bought it was that back in the early 90's I picked up a cheap (Far-Eastern?) .177 pump rifle for a few quid and loved it. I had a 'shoot' in a small wood and used to sit-in for pigeons at dusk, using open sights with a special fore-sight with an optic-fibre light which made. At close ranges of about 20 yards it was very good. I gave up such shooting about 15 years ago, but since I am still in to ballistics I decided to have an air-rifle again, just for fun. I would swap it for your Sharp () but it's ok for garden plinkin'.

My main interest now is flight-shooting with arrow-catapults.
    There's just something about pumper air rifles isn't there? I was in a shop yesterday eyeing up the Crosman 760 pumpmaster!
    Was that far eastern pump up a multishot? I had one, I think it was a B45-3 or something like that, with a manually indexed magazine at the rear.
    I've not got into arrow shooting with my catapult, I've toyed with the idea but I like the pocketability of a 9mm steel ball.

There's just something about pumper air rifles isn't there? I was in a shop yesterday eyeing up the Crosman 760 pumpmaster!
    Was that far eastern pump up a multishot? I had one, I think it was a B45-3 or something like that, with a manually indexed magazine at the rear.
    I've not got into arrow shooting with my catapult, I've toyed with the idea but I like the pocketability of a 9mm steel ball.
    Yep........ I reckon that folks love 'em or hate 'em. I liked the fact that I could sit quietly, and ready, fully charged and loaded, whereas previously I had needed to try and cock a springer after a pigeon had landed. Then, if for any reason I could not get a shot off, I needed to 'de-cock' or release the spring, which meant buying a rifle without an auto-safety device on it. I liked pumpers!

Well well..... I had forgotten the name of that rifle........ I have just punched B45 into Bing and there it's picture is...... I had even forgotten what it looked like.

I shoot a catapult with 10mm lead ball. These balls are exactly twice the weight of your 9mm steel balls (120 grains to 60 grains) which can reduce any inconsistency in 'release' as the ball leaves the pouch. I use black latex bands with a drawweight of 20lbs at 28".

My arrow catapult can only shoot arrows due to using a knocking point rather than a leather pouch. I use black latex bands reduced in length to produce a draw-weight of 25lbs at 28". Range in a flat calm is 160 yards when shooting light wooden 300 grain practice arrows. I have found that releasing at 35, 40 and 45 degrees achieves exactly the same range of 160 yards, although the angle that the arrows hit/land differs according to which angle of release was chosen. Ergo, this might have been the same sort of situation for medieval archers, and once they knew their maximum range they didn't have to worry quite so much about their elevation upon release. Hey...... I'm running off there......

Where to begin?
    The pump pivot wears very quickly and seems to be made of hard chewing gum.
    The blow off valve kicks in at around 8ftlbs and can't be adjusted easily, you can either have 8 or 16 ftlbs.
    It's not accurate, there are reports of the barrel not being butted up to the loading port and pellets clipping the barrel on loading. On the two I tried I couldn't get a group at 25yds and I mean less than 6".
    The plastic breech is made of much softer plastic than the original Innova and the scope moves in relation to the barrel.

Save your money and go for an original Innova.
    I had a rebel, bad accuracy was due to burrs around the barrel transfer port, managed to file them away by taking bolt probe out and used a thin jewellers file. good accuracy up to 30 yards.to check for transfer port burrs put a pellet in and close the bolt. open bolt and remove bolt, use a rod to shove the pellet out you'll see damage to the head of the pellet if that's the problem . imo.good stock handy silencer end block but not a patch on the innova

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bcham View Post
    And my 1400 with scope rail and mod 1/2 UNF muzzle adapter is so silent.

Opposite the cow-field, just outside Dover, Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post

Post some piccys mate ???
    Good deals with Mark3HuntsmanSam, Cannon Fodder, Guy, Jon, Peddy, Negotiator, Devon Shooter, Ninapuppy, Custard 1, Bob Brown, TopDog, Dave The Frame, / Sam99, Ballie, Nautilus21, edbear2, eredel, among others

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    i have a scout scope set up on mine works perfect for pumping up. i would post a pic but cant on here, where did you get the 1/2 UNF muzzle adapter.

Sharp Innova eratic groupings.

Hi, I have also sourced a sharp innova, but mine seems to have very poor grouping. Had one back in the day which was amazing, but this one is poor. What pellets work well in them? (.22) Any advice apreciated.
    Cheers
    Ian