Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benjamin 422 Semi-Auto Co2 Pistol

Benjamin 422 Semi-Auto Co2 Pistol

Although primarily a spring air pistol enthusiast, I added a Crosman 600 semi-auto Co2 pistol to my collection about a year ago and haven’t been able to put it down since. If it’s sheer fun rather than anything more serious you want, this pistol certainly ticks all the boxes.

A little research revealed that Benjamin also attempted to provide some competition for the 600 with their own semi-automatic .22, CO2 pistol designated the model 422 which was produced for a very short time (1969-1973). There was a very good reason for this short production period as the pistol has often been described as a “warranty nightmare” by those who are know a lot more about these things than me. The 422 was apparently prone to miss feeds and burst fire consequently making it a bit of a failure as a reliable semi-auto.

I have always been a sucker for quirky pistols though and finally weakened sufficiently to buy a nice example (pictured below) at the last Bisley, Phoenix meeting. I entered into this with my eyes wide open and consequently went for a boxed pistol complete with original accessories as it was likely to end up more as a static collectable rather than a regular shooter.

For those unfamiliar with this design, the 422 uses an 8 grm CO2 capsule which is inserted and pierced from the front using the cylinder cap just like the first model Crosman 600. Things get a little bit weird from here on though as once the cocking lever is pulled back, a spring assisted magazine follower situated on the right side of the frame is pulled back and rested on the end cap. Up to 10 pellets can now be inserted into the magazine which is directly behind and in-line with the barrel before carefully resting the follower behind the pellets. Looking through the unloaded magazine / barrel, you can just make out the 3 O rings which hold the pellets in place until each is released with subsequent operations of the trigger.The pistol is fitted with a trigger safety which should obviously be applied during the above procedure and also uses the cocking lever as a hammer safety when placed in the detent at the rear of its slot.

To give the pistol the best chance of success, I initially used 15 of the original Benjamin HC pellets which were cleaned to remove the oxidisation and lubricated. I then acquired some Milbro Caledonian and Marksman No2 pellets which I was told might also stand a chance of feeding correctly.
    I decided to load just 5 pellets each time thus avoiding the temptation to empty the magazine too quickly. Much to my surprise, all of the Benjamin pellets exited the barrel individually and grouped to within 2 “ at 10 metres even when fired rapidly. More pleasingly, both alternative brands also cycled faultlessly and grouped in a similar position to the HCs. Finally, I put a number of shots through the Chrono which recorded an average muzzle velocity of 343 ft/sec and consequent muzzle energy of 3.6 ft’/lbs with a 14 grn pellet.

I don’t expect this sort of reliability to continue once the O rings start to wear, but as the pistol won’t be used as often as the Crosman 600, this shouldn’t really present too much of a problem. I must admit that I personally find the 422 a cooler looking pistol than the 600, but as far as reliability is concerned, only time will tell.

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/...psknsw0pyx.jpg

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/...psbvggpyb5.jpg

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/...psjloezzry.jpg

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/...psjloezzry.jpg

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/...psdsrm330b.jpg

Regards

Brian

What a fantastic find, can see it's a Benjamin and it does look smoother and slicker than the 600. Is that original condition as looks immaculate

Have 600 myself and they are great

Brian \ Baz

Seriously ! - have you been out in the sun too long today!

A 422 versus a 600 as a looker - its like comparing Ena Sharples to Kim Basinger

Go take a lie down

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Brian \ Baz

Seriously ! - have you been out in the sun too long today!

A 422 versus a 600 as a looker - its like comparing Ena Sharples to Kim Basinger

Go take a lie down
    Hi Mark,

Beauty as they say is in the eyes of the beholder. I doubt the 422 will ever replace the 600 in my affections, but it's lines certainly remind me more of the .22 LR semi-autos I used to shoot before the 1995 pistol ban.

Regards

Brian

Thanks for that

I'd never heard of the 422 until you mentioned it on here the other day. Which set me googling.

I do like the way it looks like a normal CO2 piatol, rather than the "ray gun" style of the 600.

And, as a PH Dragon owner (and former Saxby-Palmer Elite/Royale owner), I have always been oddly drawn to guns that in principle are brilliant but in practice aren't.

Caution: Wear eye protection when shooting a 422!!!!!!

Yes, the 422 can spit out pellets in just the way intended. However, from personal experience, it can also spit out debris from the breach. Making the wearing of eye protection is, of course, always a good idea anyways, but, with the 422 it is essential.

All of the later Benjamin designs came from the same person, Ray Katt, president/owner of Benjamin. From the very first, it was the tradition at Benjamin for ownership to be responsible for all engineering and design. Unlike at Crosman, there was never a professional engineer engaged. The result being designs like the 422 that just are not of the same design quality seen in the Crosman line.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and images Brian. That is a very nice little boxed set you have there.

I must admit I like the way the white grips offset the black finish of the pistol in a Crosman 150 sort of way!

How many shots are you getting per 8 gm Co2 cylinder?

John

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Not as pretty as the 600, but very different. Therefore I definitely want one. Thanks.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and images Brian. That is a very nice little boxed set you have there.

I must admit I like the way the white grips offset the black finish of the pistol in a Crosman 150 sort of way!

How many shots are you getting per 8 gm Co2 cylinder?

John
    Hi John,

I would say about 20 full power shots are possible from an 8 grm capsule before the pellets start to drop, which is similar to that from the single shot Co2 pistols. I went through 3 capsules during the testing session and the usable shot count seemed to remain constant even when shooting rapidly. My expectations for this pistol were not high from the start, which made it all the more satisfying that I could shoot 60 or so pellets without a single problem.

Incidentally, I'm also a fan of the white grips which look nice on my Benjamin 262 'Rocket' as well as the 422 and Crosman 150.

Hope to see you at Bisley on Saturday (thunder storms permitting) unless of course you are attending on Sunday..

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 30-06-2015 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    Yes, the 422 can spit out pellets in just the way intended. However, from personal experience, it can also spit out debris from the breach. Making the wearing of eye protection is, of course, always a good idea anyways, but, with the 422 it is essential.

All of the later Benjamin designs came from the same person, Ray Katt, president/owner of Benjamin. From the very first, it was the tradition at Benjamin for ownership to be responsible for all engineering and design. Unlike at Crosman, there was never a professional engineer engaged. The result being designs like the 422 that just are not of the same design quality seen in the Crosman line.
    Hi Dean,

Thanks largely to your previous input I was fully aware of the potential shortcomings of the 422, but just couldn't resist its quirky design. I always wear safety glasses when shooting as you suggest, but was surprised that there seemed to be no gas blow-back at all from the breech of the pistol given that only the line of pellets prevents some gas from escaping from that point.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi John,

I would say about 20 full power shots are possible from an 8 grm capsule before the pellets start to drop, which is similar to that from the single shot Co2 pistols. I went through 3 capsules during the testing session and the usable shot count seemed to remain constant even when shooting rapidly. My expectations for this pistol were not high from the start, which made it all the more satisfying that I could shoot 60 or so pellets without a single problem.

Incidentally, I'm also a fan of the white grips which look nice on my Benjamin 262 'Rocket' as well as the 422 and Crosman 150.

Hope to see you at Bisley on Saturday (thunder storms permitting) unless of course you are attending on Sunday..

Regards

Brian
    Thanks Brian,

Interesting stuff. Yes, hope to see you on Saturday. I recently 'found' another early boxed Crosman 150 that I could not resist!

Kind regards,

John

Benjamin

Similar shot count to my 257 then, about 25 before power starts to drop off (400fps with Hobby with mine). Cracking little pistols.

I'll be at Bisley Saturday, can you and John leave something for me! However I suspect Keith will fill his stall up with old CO2 stuff on the back of this....

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    Similar shot count to my 257 then, about 25 before power starts to drop off (400fps with Hobby with mine). Cracking little pistols.

I'll be at Bisley Saturday, can you and John leave something for me! However I suspect Keith will fill his stall up with old CO2 stuff on the back of this....
    Will try to! There is occasionally a stall at Bisley full of classic American CO2 but probably not in the umbrella tent this weekend.

John

Like others I was not aware of the 422. Now that I am I would really like one - they really follow the Benjamin in house design.

I have 2 600s and simply love them. The best shooting (plinking) fun ever - 11 shots (you can add an extra) fired as fast as you like from a truly solid piece of design that only needs the occasional re-seal to last forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Thanks Brian,

Interesting stuff. Yes, hope to see you on Saturday. I recently 'found' another early boxed Crosman 150 that I could not resist!

Kind regards,

John
    Hi John,

Both my Crosman 150 & Benjamin 262 are obviously in the more common .22 calibre and although accurate enough using RWS Hobby pellets at 10 metres, I would expect the .177 variants to be a bit more accurate. Have you ever had a chance to test comparative accuracy between calibres on these American Co2 pistols ?

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 02-07-2015 at 09:41 AM.