Thread: .360 roundball / Lee 000 buckshot for Feinwerkbau History no1 pistol

.360 roundball / Lee 000 buckshot for Feinwerkbau History no1 pistol

I´m about to buy a second hand Feinwerkbau History no1 percussion pistol.

Since I already have casting pot, I´d like to cast balls for this pistol too.

Feinwerkbau manual states to use .362 roundball with 0.3mm thick patch.
    Only .362 RB mould I have found (that has at least two cavities and sprue cutter) is Pedersoli.

Lee has two moulds that make .360 roundballs:
    double cavity mould (sku 90418) and
    18-cavity 000 buckshot mould (sku 90192).
    Making 18 balls in one pour sure sounds tempting after casting hundreds of .330 balls for Siber with single cavity mould..

Have you tried how well those 0.002" undersized balls work in History no1 pistol?
    They´ll need thicker patch, but are they just too small?

I placed a wtb- add in the wanted section. Looking for Pedersoli- or Lee buckshot mould.

Quote Originally Posted by JiriK View Post
    I´m about to buy a second hand Feinwerkbau History no1 percussion pistol.

Since I already have casting pot, I´d like to cast balls for this pistol too.

Feinwerkbau manual states to use .362 roundball with 0.3mm thick patch.
    Only .362 RB mould I have found (that has at least two cavities and sprue cutter) is Pedersoli.

Lee has two moulds that make .360 roundballs:
    double cavity mould (sku 90418) and
    18-cavity 000 buckshot mould (sku 90192).
    Making 18 balls in one pour sure sounds tempting after casting hundreds of .330 balls for Siber with single cavity mould..

Have you tried how well those 0.002" undersized balls work in History no1 pistol?
    They´ll need thicker patch, but are they just too small?

I placed a wtb- add in the wanted section. Looking for Pedersoli- or Lee buckshot mould.
    You could try this place:

J J Tanner Ball Moulds
    Address: 23, Passingham Avenue
    Postcode: CM11 2TD
    City/Town: Billericay (Essex)
    Main phone: 01277 653456

If you do order a mould from him I would check it for size. I had one that was too big and a friend of mine had one that measured .400" on one side of the mould and .395" on the other half.
    Generally though this person does turn out good moulds but it is always best to check them no matter where they come from.
    I think you will find it is cheaper than a Pedersoli mould, which is why I have had moulds off him.

I wold not have expected .002" to make any difference if you used a .360" ball. What is important is that you use a soft enough patch to grip the rifling,(if it is rifled), or make it a tight fit in the bore if it is a smoothbore.

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    You could try this place:

J J Tanner Ball Moulds
    Address: 23, Passingham Avenue
    Postcode: CM11 2TD
    City/Town: Billericay (Essex)
    Main phone: 01277 653456

If you do order a mould from him I would check it for size. I had one that was too big and a friend of mine had one that measured .400" on one side of the mould and .395" on the other half.
    Generally though this person does turn out good moulds but it is always best to check them no matter where they come from.
    I think you will find it is cheaper than a Pedersoli mould, which is why I have had moulds off him.

I wold not have expected .002" to make any difference if you used a .360" ball. What is important is that you use a soft enough patch to grip the rifling,(if it is rifled), or make it a tight fit in the bore if it is a smoothbore.

JiriK - You won't get a better answer than that from anybody.

tac

Tanner moulds are inexpensive, but only single cavity and without sprue cutter.
    I may order one some time, but I´m looking for more "production volume"

I asked Lee Precision what the tolerance of their 000 buckshot mould is.
    Answer: The tolerance on ball molds is plus/minus .001".
    So those may be just fine.