Thread: chequering question

chequering question

I just wondered if the darkness ofthe chequered area of most of the arms I've seen is due to an optical effect, ingrained dirt, or WAS THE CHEQURED AREA treated in some way prior to finishing, to make it look darker. Any thoughts appreciated.

Paul M

Quote Originally Posted by plumbgun View Post
    I just wondered if the darkness ofthe chequered area of most of the arms I've seen is due to an optical effect, ingrained dirt, or WAS THE CHEQURED AREA treated in some way prior to finishing, to make it look darker. Any thoughts appreciated.

Paul M
    Only my opinion so I could be wrong, I think it is an optical effect that gets darker due to sweat, dirt, ageing, and oil. I have used suger soap ( neat ) and a toothbrush to clean chequered areas and even spotless they still look darker.

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Once you cut into wood - you expose 'end grain', if you think about wood as a cellular structure similar to a bunch of drinking straws - the end grain is the open end.
    Cutting into and exposing the open cells allows the stain or finish to leech into the open cells - flooding them -they will also suck the stuff in due to capilliary action - this results in an uneven darker finish. If you have ever tried staining a stock - you will notice the end grain finishes darker - only way to prevent this is to apply an inert sealer coat first!
    Hope that explains it!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post
    Once you cut into wood - you expose 'end grain', if you think about wood as a cellular structure similar to a bunch of drinking straws - the end grain is the open end.
    Cutting into and exposing the open cells allows the stain or finish to leech into the open cells - flooding them -they will also suck the stuff in due to capilliary action - this results in an uneven darker finish. If you have ever tried staining a stock - you will notice the end grain finishes darker - only way to prevent this is to apply an inert sealer coat first!
    Hope that explains it!

ASM
    Yes that explains it perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post
    Hope that explains it!

ASM
    Thanks for your thoughts