Thread: Rare Pellets

Rare Pellets

On that auction site a rare box of 100 Marksman pellets with unusal flags on end flaps, 321795514435

Hi Mick,

Nice box. The Union flag and Ensign used to be a feature of Marksman boxes but today they have a non descript pellet flag. This box could be pre war or 1950s, as I'm not entirely sure when the early flags were dropped. I have a box of 1000 .177 with similar flags.

John
    Last edited by Josie & John; 02-07-2015 at 07:23 PM.

Flags

Quote Originally Posted by micky View Post
    On that auction site a rare box of 100 Marksman pellets with unusal flags on end flaps, 321795514435
    The ad says it has the UK and USA flags-but it looks more like Gt Britain and NZ........Didn't realise I had one of these on the shelf!The "mystery" flag with the union jack in the corner has NO stars on it-so isn't australian or nz. NZ,by the way,seems to be in the process of changing it's flag....
    Last edited by trevor1; 02-07-2015 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by trevor1 View Post
    The ad says it has the UK and USA flags-but it looks more like Gt Britain and NZ........Didn't realise I had one of these on the shelf!The "mystery" flag with the union jack in the corner has NO stars on it-so isn't australian or nz. NZ,by the way,seems to be in the process of changing it's flag....
    The blue flag is the blue ensign. British maritime flag for ships in public service.

Only a footnote really, but the pellet flag, rather than the Union Jack/Ensign, was present on boxes around 1976. When we were clearing my Gran's house after her death one turned up in the back of the cutlery drawer, I must have forgotten it way back when. I used to go down at the weekends to shoot Jackdaws for her. She didn't like guns, but she really hated those Jackdaws.

flags

Quote Originally Posted by SimonC_Here View Post
    The blue flag is the blue ensign. British maritime flag for ships in public service.
    Thanks-maybe the oz and nz flags were based on it?

Quote Originally Posted by trevor1 View Post
    Thanks-maybe the oz and nz flags were based on it?
    The Blue Ensign was used probably because it appealed to Edwardian youth who would be the main target audience for the pellets originally.

The Oz & NX flags are completely different in practise, incorporating representations of the Southern Cross, a constellation only visible from the Southern hemisphere nowadays.