Thread: Haveing a go a black magics

Haveing a go a black magics

Hi I'm thinking of joining the dark side. I've just had my hands on a ph muskatune replica and what a nice piece of kit . I'm now thinking of having a go. Is there anything I need to know eg felt recoil as these rifles sling some heavy lead ,which is the Best modern repo or a modern inline ,Pyrodex etc versus black powder

Huge subject mate, if you have a look back at previous 577 posts theres loads of imfo. They are brilliant guns but be warned the Dark side can become addictive.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by picto007 View Post
    Hi I'm thinking of joining the dark side. I've just had my hands on a ph muskatune replica and what a nice piece of kit . I'm now thinking of having a go. Is there anything I need to know eg felt recoil as these rifles sling some heavy lead ,which is the Best modern repo or a modern inline ,Pyrodex etc versus black powder
    Phew, where to begin?

1. The Parker-Hale Musketoon is a great little carbine - I've had mine since 1976.

2. If you are a big boy and used to shooting a 12g shotgun, then it feels like an average loaded NON-magnum load, but 'slower' - more of a push than than sharp recoil. However, you CAN load it up to stupid level and blow your shoulder. The usual BP load is around 45 - 55 gr of FFG. Ten per cent LESS if you are using Pyrodex RS, and fifteen per cent less if using Triple 7. Remember that you need a license for BP, as well as special storage, but that the subs are off-license.

3. If you are buying it second-hand, make sure that the originally-supplied Lyman bullet mould is with it - they are not only vital, but expensive if it's not there. The correct size is Lyman #575213AV.

4. The Parker-Hale version is the very best ever made, barring an original - if you really HAVE found one, please post the serial number here for confirmation. The MLAGB's David Minshall and I collect P-H serial numbers in case of doubt.

5. Go to the nearest source, and buy the Lyman Black Powder manual - this will give you a good insight into what is needed to start BP shooting.

6. If you go for an in-line rifle, I'm afraid that you are in a minority interest group. This is because -

a. The inline has no real place here in UK, unlike the Parker-Hale products. They look like any other bolt-action firearm and they are a sop to the American and Canadian seasonal hunting restrictions that have different times for BP and conventional rifle hunting.

b. They use #209 shotgun primers to set off Pyrodex PELLETS, not loose powder. These pellets are specifically sized in 50gr increments, so fine tuning your shooting can be very difficult. So it's one, or two, or three, or if you are crazy, four. And trust me, the difference between shooting just two pellets [100gr] and three pellets [150gr] is substantial, especially if you are leery of recoil.

c. I would not have the foggiest idea where you would get the special sabots that they mostly use, in order to go some way to duplicating a nitro-loaded rifle with a sub-calibre jacketed bullet, and, in any case, since they are not really any kind of a target arm, what justification can you have to buy one? Persuading your FEO might be VERY hard to do, especially if he has never seen one before - most haven't, in my experience. I just called up my county F&ELD and was met with a 'huh?'

Ask more questions if you want, and have a look at my Youtube channel - tac's guns musketoon to see one in action. But first of all, if you are STILL interested, get the Lyman book - it's still the best there is.

tac

Agree with tac,
    If you fancy bp then get an Enfield 2 or 3 bander or a ph musketoon.
    Bp is a different kettle of fish to nitro but it's fun just to hear the bang and smell the smoke.
    I do both and each one as its own merits

Thanks for the advice I don't shoot shot gun but I do shot a 308.but I was tarking to some of the club member about shooting black powder and they it can be an ishue if the rco dos not have the right paper work I could be disappointed as I would be unable to shoot Black powder I thort it would be nice to reload at the range in stead of in a room

Thanks for the advice I don't shoot shot gun but I do shot a 308.but I was tarking to some of the club member about shooting black powder and they it can be an ishue if the rco dos not have the right paper work I could be disappointed as I would be unable to shoot Black powder I thort it would be nice to reload at the range in stead of in a room
    Perhaps joining a club where BP is common would be a good idea. They DO present some issues that an RCO weaned on nitro-shooting guns might have problems dealing with, that's why there are BP RCO courses run at Bisley and, I bleeve, Wedgenock, home of the MLAGB.

Have you actually fired any BP gun of any kind yet?

tac

Yes I've shot a black powder Flint lock pistal at the club as they have a black powder night but not may of them shoot fare them 25 metersU

Yes I've shot a black powder Flint lock pistal at the club as they have a black powder night but not may of them shoot fare them 25 metersU
    Translation, please.

tac

PH musketoon. (No; 9234).

Had mine from new.
    Not remember when bought.
    Shot grey lag goose. Little dammage to flesh.
    Missed a baby grey seal. Seal at 50m sights set at 200m. Had permission, and adiquate caliber. Wanted to taste seal meat. Not tried it yet, but rotavated up some baby rabbits yesterday. One was able to escape, one was despatched by hand, and other dead.
    Fried rabbit tonight.
    My current iinterest is in the bore size of sharp ace .22, as stated on my introduction message. Would apreciate all relative information. Must be ones who have, or did have one. Pellet size is one problem.
    Regards to all.
    Valter. ( very new member), so please be gentle! : gentlemen, and women!

Hi pickto007. The Musketoon rifle is a thing of beauty as is the 2 band and the 3 band. I had a 2 band and found it a bit long for
    me, i prefer carbine size rifles. When you get into the art of the black stuff theres so many variables that you just don't find in
    normal range or game shooting. Sometimes it can be very confusing and some times it can be VERY FRUSTRATING but its always
    fun and always rewarding when it all comes together. A decent rifle can be had for about £300 and the assorted stuff needed to
    make it work are cheap as chips. A Parker Hale built rifle has so much history attached to it that it can become a bit of an obsession
    if you let it and is as good as it gets without paying for an original, tac has been using his since way back and it still works as it
    should. I bought mine as an unfired specimen a few years ago following advice from this very site and its still my favourite rifle.
    If you can get one for sensible money go for it. As a foot note, mines not for sale. Tim

And if you shoot it and it's like a shotgun lol just change 1 variable at a time.
    I've started using bp in my martini as I use trailboss and unique powder in CBC cases.
    Now the accuracy as gone as the speed as gone up to around 1200 fps.
    I have now hardened the bullets and try again.....still fun

Quote Originally Posted by Valter View Post
    Had mine from new.
    Not remember when bought.
    Shot grey lag goose. Little dammage to flesh.
    Missed a baby grey seal. Seal at 50m sights set at 200m. Had permission, and adiquate caliber. Wanted to taste seal meat. Not tried it yet, but rotavated up some baby rabbits yesterday. One was able to escape, one was despatched by hand, and other dead.
    Fried rabbit tonight.
    My current iinterest is in the bore size of sharp ace .22, as stated on my introduction message. Would apreciate all relative information. Must be ones who have, or did have one. Pellet size is one problem.
    Regards to all.
    Valter. ( very new member), so please be gentle! : gentlemen, and women!
    Ask airgun questions in the airgun section. THIS bit is for BP only. The heading - 'BP and Muzzleloaders' is the clue - and most who look here,or might give you advice, are looking for BP-related subjects.

tac