Quote Originally Posted by picto007 View Post
Hi I'm thinking of joining the dark side. I've just had my hands on a ph muskatune replica and what a nice piece of kit . I'm now thinking of having a go. Is there anything I need to know eg felt recoil as these rifles sling some heavy lead ,which is the Best modern repo or a modern inline ,Pyrodex etc versus black powder
Phew, where to begin?

1. The Parker-Hale Musketoon is a great little carbine - I've had mine since 1976.

2. If you are a big boy and used to shooting a 12g shotgun, then it feels like an average loaded NON-magnum load, but 'slower' - more of a push than than sharp recoil. However, you CAN load it up to stupid level and blow your shoulder. The usual BP load is around 45 - 55 gr of FFG. Ten per cent LESS if you are using Pyrodex RS, and fifteen per cent less if using Triple 7. Remember that you need a license for BP, as well as special storage, but that the subs are off-license.

3. If you are buying it second-hand, make sure that the originally-supplied Lyman bullet mould is with it - they are not only vital, but expensive if it's not there. The correct size is Lyman #575213AV.

4. The Parker-Hale version is the very best ever made, barring an original - if you really HAVE found one, please post the serial number here for confirmation. The MLAGB's David Minshall and I collect P-H serial numbers in case of doubt.

5. Go to the nearest source, and buy the Lyman Black Powder manual - this will give you a good insight into what is needed to start BP shooting.

6. If you go for an in-line rifle, I'm afraid that you are in a minority interest group. This is because -

a. The inline has no real place here in UK, unlike the Parker-Hale products. They look like any other bolt-action firearm and they are a sop to the American and Canadian seasonal hunting restrictions that have different times for BP and conventional rifle hunting.

b. They use #209 shotgun primers to set off Pyrodex PELLETS, not loose powder. These pellets are specifically sized in 50gr increments, so fine tuning your shooting can be very difficult. So it's one, or two, or three, or if you are crazy, four. And trust me, the difference between shooting just two pellets [100gr] and three pellets [150gr] is substantial, especially if you are leery of recoil.

c. I would not have the foggiest idea where you would get the special sabots that they mostly use, in order to go some way to duplicating a nitro-loaded rifle with a sub-calibre jacketed bullet, and, in any case, since they are not really any kind of a target arm, what justification can you have to buy one? Persuading your FEO might be VERY hard to do, especially if he has never seen one before - most haven't, in my experience. I just called up my county F&ELD and was met with a 'huh?'

Ask more questions if you want, and have a look at my Youtube channel - tac's guns musketoon to see one in action. But first of all, if you are STILL interested, get the Lyman book - it's still the best there is.

tac