Thread: Mk3 Webley

Mk3 Webley

I picked up a very nice Webley and Scott mk3 .22 at auction today. I am very impressed with power and accuracy for an old gun. It's serial number is A0870 so I guess it's around 1970.

I would like to aquire a period scope for it if anyone has one for sale.

I believe that the power output is around 10 fp. Can I get it up to 12 by fitting a new spring etc.

Apart from plinking it's use will be pigeon and squirrel control at no more than 20 yards.

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    A good MK3 might make full power, though in no way designed for that, but imho that could be damaging and turn it into a harsh shooter. They are best and shoot sweetest at about 9-10 fps. Keep it there and enjoy.

At 20 yards 10ft/lb is more than adequate for taking out pigeons and squirrels,but you realise its not really legal to shoot pigeons in your garden now. Private land is ok only if you are protecting commercial crops. Crazy I know and maybe you already realised, so sorry for sounding all official, and hopefully you have access to a piece of land or similar so you are ok.

Over 25 yards you maybe could do with something else to grow your collection, as with most older guns they shoot horrible and harsh when pushed nearer to the limit. The Mk3 I had had a plate fitted to sit a scope on, but I didn't think the Mk3's had scope grooves as standard.
    Nice gun so enjoy it.
    BASC

I have a Webley scope for sale and have sent you a PM.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

Thx Vbull and I have replied

Quote Originally Posted by DEAN C. View Post
    At 20 yards 10ft/lb is more than adequate for taking out pigeons and squirrels,but you realise its not really legal to shoot pigeons in your garden now. Private land is ok only if you are protecting commercial crops. Crazy I know and maybe you already realised, so sorry for sounding all official, and hopefully you have access to a piece of land or similar so you are ok.

Over 25 yards you maybe could do with something else to grow your collection, as with most older guns they shoot horrible and harsh when pushed nearer to the limit. The Mk3 I had had a plate fitted to sit a scope on, but I didn't think the Mk3's had scope grooves as standard.
    Nice gun so enjoy it.
    Thx for the info. Our 'garden' is a 7 acre smallholding, so ok.
    This gun has a plate on the receiver to attach a scope to as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph View Post
    Unfortunately, the spot welded plate fitted to later Mk 3's has a rep for peeling away from the receiver. And modern scopes probably wouldn't fit, & as for 'period scopes' - you'd be better off with open sights.
    Much as I love my early Webleys/Airsporters, I use a modern Weihrauch w' scope for pest control.

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph View Post

Nice one, I own a similar piece of land outside of our village and realise that not everyone is as lucky. I am a bit wary what I shoot at home though as I live in the middle of a village backing onto paddocks, thankfully with two OK neighbours.

Its so easy to get into trouble if people are new or just returning to airguns, as so much has changed over the last 20 years.
    BASC