Thread: New BSA rifles advice please.

New BSA rifles advice please.

Morning all,

I have recently got 2 new rifles - a Goldstar and an Ultra se, both .177. These are the first BSA PCPs that I've owned so, my knowledge is very limited. I've put about 30 pellets through each one so far.

I'm happy with them but, I do have a couple of questions.....

When I fill the Ultra, I hear a 'ping' sound (maybe the valve opening?) and as the pressure increases the rifle starts to sing/whistle. I always fill as slow as possible. I can make the singing stop by shutting the dive bottle valve for a couple of seconds before starting again. Is this normal?

Also, is the power likely to creep on either of these rifles as they 'bed in' as it can on others?

I'll be putting them both through my chrono as soon as my new batteries arrive but, any advice from experienced users is always appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

All of the above.

Morning, can't believe I'm awake this early yes the sound your getting whilst filling your Ultra is perfecrly normal. I get the same when filling my AA S200

Just to repeat, yes the whistle is normal, it is just the air passing through the shut off valve.

You may find that the velocity varies as the rifles settle in. I have a Gold Star SE and although the point of impact hasn't changed since I had it, the velocity has settled down by about 10 fps.

Yes, pretty much all valves whistle as you put HP air through them because the valve is a restriction in the flow and so changes the air speed & pressure, sometimes you can also have the valve internals start to vibrate and give a proper scream if you try to fill too fast.

PCP's don't usually creep to the extent that a springer can, but as the mechanicals bed in they will slightly alter.

Hello mate I brought a r-10 in March and the last week been getting some funny shots so put on chrono, when I got it it was doing 11.2 and now I'm taking back to shop as its changed. Say no more.

Thanks for the replies guys. I've never had a rifle that whistled before so I wanted to make sure that I wasn't doing something wrong.

I'll keep checking them both over the chrono to make sure that they're behaving.

So far, so good

Plinkerpaul, hope you get yours sorted.

All of the above.

Yes mate gone back to BSA today mate. Thanks Paul

Thanks for the info guys. I'm hoping to pick up an Ultra in the next few days and now I know about this I won't be panicking whilst filling.