Thread: Chiappa FAS 6004

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    See the few differences noted above....there might be more.

I have the pistol that AMAC used to have, and I am very happy with it....seems I bought one of the good ones.
    Maybe the new FAS company are getting their act together and the later and current production 6004 models are getting a little more attention to take care of the rough areas and those that have caused some concern - even though they are built down to a lower price target than the original FAS company who produced the 604 pistols?

Has anyone else had any problems with the rear sight like those suffered by IJ on his? His failure was terminal whereas the faults and problems listed on this thread are poor quality or rough finish but the pistol can still be used and corrected or repaired.

The screw thread ripping out of the casting on IJ's example was not repairable and has been the biggest concern that has prevented others (such as myself) from taking the risk of buying one.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

There is a video on YouTube of someone not being able to lower the rear site enough....a similar issue that IJ experienced....which of course ended in disaster with the stripped thread.

Considering how many have been sold (?), there does not seem to be many reports of the stripped thread that IJ experienced....horrendous as that was. I agree with IJ, a fine steel thread into an ally billet is not nice

Regarding the stripped thread, I see there is some more information on the CAPA site, a question that comes up there is whether or not the diameter of the elevation screw has been increased/improved on later models? If every I have mine apart I would let you know.....but TBH I'm not keen to touch it I wonder if Iain K.D had this apart....maybe not? I remember he commented on the springs that apply load to the elevation screw.

I'm afraid the rearsight is one thing I've not had apart - I was already well aware of IJ's horror story. I have adjusted it slightly and got it zeroed at 10 metres with no real difficulty.

You're right, though, the springs pushing the sight up do seem stiffer than necessary when compared to an Izh-46 or the Weihrauch and Gamo overlever SSPs.

I did take the overlever catch off when I first got the gun, which would show the underneath of this area and might've given a clue as to the elevation screw size - but unfortunately didn't think to look.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...Chiappa/02.jpg

Other than removing the grip - a steel bolt going into a steel bar through the frame - I would hesitate to take this gun apart 'just to see how it works'. Everything else is bolts going into alloy (barrel clamp, overlever catch, trigger mechanism attaching to valve housing): not something to remove and tighten up repeatedly, I suspect.

For what it's worth - I got mine at the end of June and the serial number begins '15E...' - probably not the earliest production run by Chiappa?

iain

Agreed, if it ain't broke don't fix it...I'm not removing those screws anytime soon.

The S/N on mine begins 14G which suggests older than yours. For whatever reason, original build, customisation or being well run in, the hammer profiles look smoother.