Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chiappa FAS 6004

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post
    Should the 6004 actually be on sale? It would appear that the poor parts' finish renders this pistol not fit for purpose?

I'm very glad I have a fabulous 604 MkII.
    Come on be fair! It is Italian after all! And form will always over rule function, Alfa cars? Ducati before Audi bought them?

The old ones were also a bit Italian, my Mk 1 bought new (lost count of the years, 32 years ago?) despite being very regularly and heavily used is still working perfectly today, my MkII also bought new, the seals went inside the first hour of use and it was full of swarf, but its perfect now.

As one who has had most makes of Italian motorcycles (and still has 3) you don't neccessarily buy Italian and expect it to work, its part of the charm!

Have fun, and good shooting.
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

An old thread... But any recent knowledge of new 6004s... Old threads seem to suggest QC issues.

Any recent purchasers of new ones here?

I picked one up here in Canada last year. It's been faultless since purchased. None of the issues previously mentioned. Perhaps they have sorted out the QC issues? The seals have lasted, the fit and finish is excellent. There are a couple other guys over here who also bought the 6004 and all are as impressed as I. I wouldn't think twice about recommending one.

2mm steel screw into alloy block for the elevation adjustment?

Great if it doesn't need adjusting.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by TRS1 View Post
    An old thread... But any recent knowledge of new 6004s... Old threads seem to suggest QC issues.

Any recent purchasers of new ones here?
    There is a fairly recent thread HERE, although it is not clear whether the issues reported were on the 'latest new' stock or 'new old' stock. If you are keen on one, maybe a thorough inspection and test would be in order before purchase (including checking the sights and target penetration at your indented distance).
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    I've not seen the new 6004 ones but I do hear the issues which have arisen, it is a very good design (near enough the same as the original 604) and as a design its an excellent SSP match air pistol, if you want one, don't buy a new one and risk the issues, there are plenty of original S/H 604's, go for the Mk2's with the excellent grip, get a better pistol and pay less.

Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

The main problem with the newer 6004 are the quality issues. I've had one for a while I bought second hand,it was fine for a few weeks then I noticed the barrel kept creeping back and losing a good contact between the barrel o-ring and the breech face losing power to the extent the pellet wouldn't come out
    I loosened the barrel clamp and tapped home the barrel to the breech face and when I tried to tighten the clamp one of the screws just kept turning without tightening up enough,the thread in the over-lever was stripped.The holes are only m3 in to aluminium,it's just not man enough for the job beyond the first assembly.Like a one use bolt.
    I put it away for months before deciding to butcher it or bin it.There just isn't the room to re-tap a bigger hole,in the end I drilled right through the over-lever m4 and pushed m4 bolts through from inside and nuts on the outside.The nuts pulled the bolt heads through and pinched the barrel tight.
    It looks a right state but it does work.I certainly wouldn't buy another that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post
    Should the 6004 actually be on sale? It would appear that the poor parts' finish renders this pistol not fit for purpose?.....
    The above comment seems even more appropriate, given the recent findings regarding the durability of the barrel fixings.
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

Quote Originally Posted by brucieboy View Post
    The main problem with the newer 6004 are the quality issues. I've had one for a while I bought second hand,it was fine for a few weeks then I noticed the barrel kept creeping back and losing a good contact between the barrel o-ring and the breech face losing power to the extent the pellet wouldn't come out
    I loosened the barrel clamp and tapped home the barrel to the breech face and when I tried to tighten the clamp one of the screws just kept turning without tightening up enough,the thread in the over-lever was stripped.The holes are only m3 in to aluminium,it's just not man enough for the job beyond the first assembly.Like a one use bolt.
    I put it away for months before deciding to butcher it or bin it.There just isn't the room to re-tap a bigger hole,in the end I drilled right through the over-lever m4 and pushed m4 bolts through from inside and nuts on the outside.The nuts pulled the bolt heads through and pinched the barrel tight.
    It looks a right state but it does work.I certainly wouldn't buy another that's for sure.
    See my post # 34.

The 604 had the same design but in places better quality. You can get M3 repair kits!
    I have had to repair 2 club 604 Mk1's with cracked top frames where the old design had a sharp corner. Later ones had a rounded cutout. So even the classic models had problems.
    I have have had problems resealing 604s because of wide tolerances. I tried to make one good 604 from a Mk2 top frame/barrel and Mk1 main frame but they were not interchangeable. Add to this dubious legacy short cuts in manufacturing in the 6004 and you are lucky to have one that doesn't need some fettling from new. In particular breech face and barrel lead-in taper. Remember 604 were £600+ last century. 6004 are £350 now.
    Last edited by TenMetrePeter; 27-04-2018 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TenMetrePeter View Post
    You can get M3 repair kits!
    http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...l?sort=6&o=133

Theres not much room.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Sorry I meant the barrel clamp holes. If there's room for a 4mm thru hole there should be room for a helicoil. Bit fiddly though. The original strip was probably by some ape with an air wrench in the factory or shed or wherever Chiappa make them. (Sorry I'm a bit annoyed with them for never answering emails)

Quote Originally Posted by TenMetrePeter View Post
    Sorry I meant the barrel clamp holes. If there's room for a 4mm thru hole there should be room for a helicoil. Bit fiddly though. The original strip was probably by some ape with an air wrench in the factory or shed or wherever Chiappa make them. (Sorry I'm a bit annoyed with them for never answering emails)
    You'd think so but you would probably need a 3.5 helicoil at least and the hole depth needed is about the same thickness as the so called metal you have available.Plus the bigger bolt heads will stop the over-leaver closing properly by hitting the cylinder,amongst other problems

A stripped m3 hole takes a m3 helicoil. It is drilled out 3.1mm and tapped with the STI tap which is about 4mm. You then screw in the wire thread repair and finish back with m3. Use the old screws. You just need enough metal round the hole and maybe increase the depth.
    Too late now they are drilled out to 4!
    Last edited by TenMetrePeter; 05-05-2018 at 07:26 AM.