Thread: Bisley Imperial Arms Fair (this weekend - 4 + 5 July)

Bisley Imperial Arms Fair (this weekend - 4 + 5 July)

For those who may not know, the Historical Breechloaders are holding an arms fair in the umbrella tent by the NRA offices at Bisley this weekend.

There is quite a varied selection of U.S. CO2 pistols on display. I saw a few Benjamin pistols including a 422 and a selection of Crosman 150 Pellguns. One of the latter was a transitional variant, in that it has the wraparound grips of the 1st type and the one piece barrel of the 2nd type. I bought a Canadian Dunnville Crosman 150 with adjustable rearsight, which are not that common in the U.K. and saw a Sears boxed Crosman 600 change hands. There were a few more 600s on the table though.

Lots of Webley pistols too, both boxed and unboxed as well as a Highest Possible, boxed and unboxed Haenel pistols, a lovely Hyscore 700 and rifles of varying vintages including a 1st Series Webley Service and a 2nd type Diana 58 (not sure if the latter sold though as it was no longer on the rack when I left).

Good to meet up with Coburn for a chat as well as the usual suspects - Abasmajor, Kevin, et all. Hope you all found something to come away with.

John

Bisley

Good to meet with you John.

Plenty of stuff on show as per John's post. If anyone's going tomorrow the display of historic arms in the tent on Short Siberia is well worth a look, I handled a MP44 and a replica early pattern straight pull FG42.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    For those who may not know, the Historical Breechloaders are holding an arms fair in the umbrella tent by the NRA offices at Bisley this weekend.

There is quite a varied selection of U.S. CO2 pistols on display. I saw a few Benjamin pistols including a 422 and a selection of Crosman 150 Pellguns. One of the latter was a transitional variant, in that it has the wraparound grips of the 1st type and the one piece barrel of the 2nd type. I bought a Canadian Dunnville Crosman 150 with adjustable rearsight, which are not that common in the U.K. and saw a Sears boxed Crosman 600 change hands. There were a few more 600s on the table though.

Lots of Webley pistols too, both boxed and unboxed as well as a Highest Possible, boxed and unboxed Haenel pistols, a lovely Hyscore 700 and rifles of varying vintages including a 1st Series Webley Service and a 2nd type Diana 58 (not sure if the latter sold though as it was no longer on the rack when I left).

Good to meet up with Coburn for a chat as well as the usual suspects - Abasmajor, Kevin, et all. Hope you all found something to come away with.

John
    Hello John,

It was nice to have a chat with you and have the chance admire your newly acquired Canadian Crosman 150 . I thought the show was a little quieter than previous years, but still very enjoyable. Apart from some consumables, I sourced some more Webley related reading material and Keith was kind enough to let me have a couple of Webley style barrel cleaning brushes. There really isn't much he doesn't have or is not able to get hold of and his stand is always the first place I look when chasing collectable air guns.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hello John,

It was nice to have a chat with you and have the chance admire your newly acquired Canadian Crosman 150 . I thought the show was a little quieter than previous years, but still very enjoyable. Apart from some consumables, I sourced some more Webley related reading material and Keith was kind enough to let me have a couple of Webley style barrel cleaning brushes. There really isn't much he doesn't have or is not able to get hold of and his stand is always the first place I look when chasing collectable air guns.

Regards

Brian
    Hi Brian,

That fully adjustable rearsight on the 150 is certainly useful as the pistol was shooting quite a bit out when I tested it. The hammer spring is nice and tight and the pistol is certainly lively. There is some minor wear to the finish but with an oily rag, she's come up really clean. I was chuffed to find an original (empty) pack of contemporary Crosman Powerlets in a spares box that I'd forgotten I had, so that will sit well in the metal case.

I also found a pre war tin of 1000 .177 Wasps in very nice condition along with an embossed tin of 200 .22 Wasps, so had a good fair. Not as big as the larger Pavilion fairs as you say but certainly worth a visit.

Good to chat too and glad you found some Webley items.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Brian,

That fully adjustable rearsight on the 150 is certainly useful as the pistol was shooting quite a bit out when I tested it. The hammer spring is nice and tight and the pistol is certainly lively. There is some minor wear to the finish but with an oily rag, she's come up really clean. I was chuffed to find an original (empty) pack of contemporary Crosman Powerlets in a spares box that I'd forgotten I had, so that will sit well in the metal case.

I also found a pre war tin of 1000 .177 Wasps in very nice condition along with an embossed tin of 200 .22 Wasps, so had a good fair. Not as big as the larger Pavilion fairs as you say but certainly worth a visit.

Good to chat too and glad you found some Webley items.

John
    Hi John,

All of my American Co2 pistols seem to shoot high at 10 metres even with the rear sight set as low as possible. This isn't a problem though as I usually prefer the 6 O'clock aiming hold. The windage position never seems to need any adjustment, but it's nice to have means even if not always required

That little, boxed Lincoln Jeffries Scout we saw was nice, especially with the paper label inside. I checked my own example when I got home, but there seems to be no manufacturers stampings present as there are on the one at the show.

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 05-07-2015 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi John,

All of my American Co2 pistols seem to shoot high at 10 metres even with the rear sight set as low as possible. This isn't a problem though as I usually prefer the 6 O'clock aiming hold. The windage position never seems to need any adjustment, but it's nice to have means even if not always required

That little, boxed Lincoln Jeffries Scout we saw was nice, especially with the paper label inside. I checked my own example when I got home, but there seems to be no manufacturers stampings present as there are on the one at the show.

Regards

Brian
    Hi Brian,

Yes it was good to see that Scout with nice clear markings. Conor had a similar boxed example, albeit in poorer condition a year or two ago and I have been told of others that don't have the Lincoln Jeffries markings. Probably one of the rarer and more expensive pop outs we'll ever come across.

John

Due to work commitments, I could only make it early afternoon today, but there was still a few tempters around, like a Britannia, early Service and a Quackenbush. Loads of boxed pistols for the girlie collectors

This event will grow, as it is free for buyers and set in historic surroundings...

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Due to work commitments, I could only make it early afternoon today, but there was still a few tempters around, like a Britannia, early Service and a Quackenbush. Loads of boxed pistols for the girlie collectors :

This event will grow, as it is free for buyers and set in historic surroundings...
    Hi Pete,

I looked at the Quakenbush which seems to a very well made rifle, but I believe was mainly made in .21 calibre which would make finding suitable pellets a problem should one ever wish to shoot it. As you say, plenty of pistols for us "girlie" types though.

Regards

Brian