Thread: Webley & Weaman Street

Webley & Weaman Street

I picked up a nice booklet at the recent Bisley Imperial meeting titled “The House of Webley – Gunmakers” and presented to members of the HSBA by Richard Milner. The publication included some very interesting early history relating to the Weaman Street premises which I thought might be of interest.

During the 19th century it was common for family firms, their workers and apprentices to live where they worked. This was apparently the case for the Webley family, both of Philip Webley’s sons Thomas and Henry were born at 84, Weaman Street . The Weaman Street property was leased from the Rev. John Fox Palmer and upon his death in early 1875, Palmer’s estate was put up for auction, Lot 2 was the freehold property in Weaman Street and Slaney Street.

The Auctioneers description was ………….. “including the commodious manufacturing premises, No’s 82, 83 & 84 Weaman Street, together with the extensive range of three story & other shopping (part double lighted), spacious yard & offices, now in the occupation of Messrs Webley & Son, Gunmakers; also the Royal Oak, retail public house, being No 17 Slaney Street, likewise the 2 three storey houses at the back thereof, in Court No3 , with brew-house, out-offices & yard, abutting upon the property in Weaman Street; the whole occupying an area of 678 square yards and producing, at unusually low rents £137.12s per annum”

The original property in Weaman Street had been built by George Farmer in 1749 on land purchased from Thomas Weaman. Philip, Thomas and Henry purchased this entire lot for £1,980 of which £1,500 was covered by a private merchant adventurer mortgage. The debt was not fully paid up until October 1897.

Following the amalgamation of W & C Scott's shotgun making business, Richard Ellis & Sons Gunmakers and P. Webley & Son in 1893 a new business called the Webley & Scott Revolver & Arms Company Ltd appeared and expanded into 81 to 91 Weaman Street with a showroom cum office on Slaney Street.

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 06-07-2015 at 05:03 PM.

Thanks for sharing this Brian.

Not sure if I know of the booklet you mention - any chance of a scan of the cover?

John

Hello John,

The booklet is a basically a copy of the notes of a presentation to the Historical Breechloading Smallarms Associiation (HSBA) on their 35th Anniversary in August 2008 by Richard Milner. It primarily addresses the development history of Webley breechloading pistols, but includes some interesting commercial and social history information.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to a scanner at the moment, but I will try and get a scan of the front cover next time I visit my brother as it has nice image of the factory on some business stationery that I have not seen before. There also some interesting pictures of the Weaman Street workshops and gun room which are also new to me. At the back of the book is a reference to the Webley & Scott archive which can be accessed at www.armsresearch.co.uk from where the book can be purchased and from where a lot of the content was apparently obtained.

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 07-07-2015 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hello John,

The booklet is a basically a copy of the notes of a presentation to the Historical Breechloading Smallarms Associiation (HSBA) on their 35th Anniversary in August 2008 by Richard Milner. It primarily addresses the development history of Webley breechloading pistols, but includes some interesting commercial and social history information.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to a scanner at the moment, but I will try and get a scan of the front cover next time I visit my brother as it has nice image of the factory on some business stationery that I have not seen before. There also some interesting pictures of the Weaman Street workshops and gun room which are also new to me. At the back of the book is a reference to the Webley & Scott archive which can be accessed at www.armsresearch.co.uk from where the book can be purchased and from where a lot of the content was apparently obtained.

Regards

Brian
    Thanks Brian,

Please don't trouble yourself with a scan - I'll try to obtain a copy myself.

John