Thread: enfeild musketoon smoothbore (shotgun)

enfeild musketoon smoothbore (shotgun)

HI,

Looking to indulge in some informal range time, and wondered what is the best size bullet to fit the bore ? it is a smoothbore version (shotgun) and although .58 in calibre, a .58 mini/lee real bullet just slips down and measured the bore to be .601 .
    Are there any recommended moulds out there to suit, or should I just patch the .58 bullets to fit? anyone else shoot solid heads throo there smoothbores? and found something that works?
    Or should I go to a ball and patch?

thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by steviebee View Post
    HI,

Looking to indulge in some informal range time, and wondered what is the best size bullet to fit the bore ? it is a smoothbore version (shotgun) and although .58 in calibre, a .58 mini/lee real bullet just slips down and measured the bore to be .601 .
    Are there any recommended moulds out there to suit, or should I just patch the .58 bullets to fit? anyone else shoot solid heads throo there smoothbores? and found something that works?
    Or should I go to a ball and patch?

thanks for looking
    Well, the Musketoon was not designed to a a smooth-bore, so the item that you have is a compromise-style of a shotgun, as the bore has simply been opened out by removing the rifling. You should aim to use a ball of the diameter that uses a pillow ticking patch of around 0.015", suitably lubes either with spit, or a proprietary lube [spit is cheap, and you can take it with you].

Do NOT attempt to shoot any kind of bullet-shaped projectile in this piece - not only are you wasting your time, but also expensive powder too, as the results will look like a fire-hose. A properly-patched and good-fitting ball will be plenty accurate at up to 50 yards or so, but it sure as heck is not going to be nice to shoot.

Reading THIS thread might offer you some help - http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....Hale-Musketoon, but that ore of yours sure is oversized, even for a smoothbore!

tac

PS - What do you mean by 'solid heads'? What are you shooting now that has a separate head to the bullet?

PPS - The accepted terminology is RPB - round patched ball.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Well, the Musketoon was not designed to a a smooth-bore, so the item that you have is a compromise-style of a shotgun, as the bore has simply been opened out by removing the rifling. You should aim to use a ball of the diameter that uses a pillow ticking patch of around 0.015", suitably lubes either with spit, or a proprietary lube [spit is cheap, and you can take it with you].

Do NOT attempt to shoot any kind of bullet-shaped projectile in this piece - not only are you wasting your time, but also expensive powder too, as the results will look like a fire-hose. A properly-patched and good-fitting ball will be plenty accurate at up to 50 yards or so, but it sure as heck is not going to be nice to shoot.

Reading THIS thread might offer you some help - http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....Hale-Musketoon, but that ore of yours sure is oversized, even for a smoothbore!

tac

PS - What do you mean by 'solid heads'? What are you shooting now that has a separate head to the bullet?

PPS - The accepted terminology is RPB - round patched ball.
    I think you're splitting an infinitive there. Patched round ball would be grammatically correct.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    I think you're splitting an infinitive there. Patched round ball would be grammatically correct.
    Taking the p*ss out my use of English is like trying to teach a pig to sing. You'll only get frustrated and the pig gets angry.

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley; 06-07-2015 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Taking the p*ss out my use of English is like trying to teach a pig to sing. You'll only get frustrated and the pig gets angry.

tac
    Your sense of humour cracks me up Tac

[I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

I shoot .575 RB from my .58 smoothbore ( though with wads rather than patches) PM me your address and I'll send you a few, or maybe we could meet up somewhere? I run a shoot about 40 minutes from Charlbury.

Jamie
    Professional Pest Control without Poisons - Trapping and snaring equipment - www.jllpestcontrol.co.uk