Thread: Webley Mk VI and Gamo Ball

Webley Mk VI and Gamo Ball

Has anyone used Gamo ball in the Webley?

We used two Webleys in a speed shoot at the club last night and experienced a couple of malfunctions, in that balls bounced off balloons without breaking them. This only happened a couple of times and in each case a relatively fresh Crosman Powerlet had been inserted into the pistol. I had reservations about using Gamo ball as it is a little bigger than the 4.4mm lead ball I usually use. However one of the pistol's owners assured me the Gamo worked fine for him in the past. The Gamo were a tight fit in each cartridge and I wonder if anyone else has ever had a similar experience?

John

I only use Gamo Lead ball in my Webley and Dan Wessons and have never had a problem.

I even use it in rifled pellet shooting DWs when I run out of pellet carts, that shoots the even better!

Out of interest, which 4.4mm lead ball do you use ?? It is something I have trouble finding.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    I only use Gamo Lead ball in my Webley and Dan Wessons and have never had a problem.

I even use it in rifled pellet shooting DWs when I run out of pellet carts, that shoots the even better!

Out of interest, which 4.4mm lead ball do you use ?? It is something I have trouble finding.
    Your experience mirror those of my clubmate. Wonder if it was too much double action in one go?

I have a selection of lead ball, which was sourced from Germany via the bay and which is Czech in origin. This alongside some vintage East German 4.4 mm ball works really well in my bolt action Haenels. For more modern CO2, I use copper coated lead ball, also 4.4 mm, which is obtainable from Protek Supplies. I believe they have just had a delivery of several hundred thousand, so this is probably a good time to stock up as they are happy to post it.

John

Gammo Ball

"Gammo Ball" or Spanish Testicle Disparity as its known in the medical profession is due to an irregularity in the balls made by Gamo.

I've found that one in five or so is oversized from my experience loading them in an Umarex Makarov. Most would load ok in the mag but a proportion of them were too large to fit.
    Last edited by coburn; 10-07-2015 at 01:39 PM.

I agree Andrew.
    I use Gamo lead balls in guns marked Gamo only.
    Odd size mucky things!

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    "Gammo Ball" or Spanish Testicle Disparity as its known in the medical profession is due to an irregularity in the balls made by Gamo.

I've found that one in five or so is oversized from my experience loading them in an Umarex Makarov. Most would load ok in the mag but a proportion of them were too large to fit.
    I wonder if that was it? They did seem unusually tight to load, way more so than H&N ball.

John