Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SCOTTISH AIRGUN CLUBS - lets start a LIST

SCOTTISH AIRGUN CLUBS - lets start a LIST

So in rural Scotland -a country where most people live near to one of very few bigger cities , how many proper Clubs do you reckon exist anywhere ?
    Any shooting style - from .177 only Target to Ft/Hft ..or

If joining a Club is one of the 'defences' for applying for the new farcical Scottish Airgun Licence , where are they ?

Basc mentions that currently no Airgun Club has been ratified as having Chief Constable 'approval' as the bill was only past the other week .
    But there are too few and from what I can see - most all are down southlands around Glasgow and Edinburgh . I checked the SARPA website and this bears out .

There is two types of 'Club' at this moment in time - this will be the same as everywhere else in UK .

FIREARMS Clubs - traditional Rifle and Pistol clubs - in main Fullbore/Rimfire , these usually have airgunners present , and an airgun section or area to shoot . So 'Airgun Friendly'.

AIRGUN CLUBS - low power Airguns only . These may have Fac members (?) but in main are for sub 12ft/lb airgun users .

At this stage what with legislation upon us in the following months [ Basc claim it may happen as soon as next April .... ] it doesn't matter what Club you try and join .....if they let you ......however it appears that a traditional Firearm Club can prove 'difficult' - they are bound by Home Office approval / Police operating procedures so strict membership rules , vetting and attendance issues . It would seem logical to want to shoot at a 'real ' Gun Club but there may be difficulties for some .

THE LIST

Please keep adding to this List !

Anyone with any info on their Club ?
    Anybody planning to start a club ?
    Locations + Contact Details Please !

NEW CLUB ADDED Bedley , Cumbernauld http://bedlayairgunclub.co.uk/find-us

Westfield Air Rifle Club ( Strathblane Glasgow ) Contact 0141 563 2616

Glenrothes Target Shooting Club http://www.gtsc.co.uk/

Strathpeffer , Inverness http://www.strathrifleclub.co.uk/

North Ayrshire Shooting Ground Air Rifle Club (Dalry)

Dechmont ARC (Hamilton)
    www.dechmont-arpc.co.uk/

Over 50s Shooters Club ( Lanarkshire ) mobile contact - 07890 452 931

Westfield ARC (Glasgow - Milngavie ) http://www.westfieldarc.co.uk/

New Kypeside ARC (Blackwood/Strathaven)

Grampian ARC (Aberdeen , Turriff) http://www.grampian-air-rifle-club.co.uk/ mobile contact 07989 419250

Tayside ARC (Auchterhouse by Dundee)

Juniper Green (Edinburgh)

Dunfermline ARC (Dunfermline) contact mobile 07910 393221

Dumfries Lochmaben Shooting Supplies Ltd / Range http://www.ukshootingsupplies.com/

Cloybank Air Rifle Club ( Falkirk) email contact scottg67@blueyonder.co.uk

New Caledonian Air Rifle Club ( Lanarkshire ) email contact NewCali_Sue@yahoo.co.uk

Scotia Field Target Club ( Glasgow ) mobile contact 07979 262445

Tayside Airgun Club ( Auchterhouse Dundee ) mobile contact tacsecy@virginmedia.com
    Last edited by Jackel; 15-06-2020 at 09:42 PM.

Our Scottish Office approved Rifle & Muzzle Loading Pistol club also has an Airgun section; so no issues there.

Many people start off shooting Airguns and then move up to FAC Small-bore & Full-bore.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

The 2 Scottish clubs I have visited are Dunfermline and Cloy Bank, both very welcoming clubs, Cloy Bank in particular has fantastic facilities but it would not surprise me if most Scottish clubs were now full.
    There is also North Ayshire shooting ground, not visited that club as yet though.

Juniper green near Edinburgh.
    Grampian air rifle club too just outside Aberdeen

North Ayrshire Shooting Ground Air Rifle Club (Dalry)
    Dechmont ARC (Hamilton)
    Westfield ARC (Glasgow)
    New Kypeside ARC (Blackwood/Strathaven): pm me for info.
    Grampian ARC (Turriff)
    Tayside ARC (Auchterhouse by Dundee)
    Cloybank ARC (Banknock)
    Juniper Green (Edinburgh)
    Dunfermline ARC (Dunfermline)

Everyone of them is full of good guys.

There was one down Dumfries way a few years back but it may have gone due to a lack of support.
    Last edited by Lumberjack; 09-07-2015 at 06:07 PM.
    The 0.22 Treefeller X X2R HW77k
    Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.

More please

Please keep adding to this List .

There appears to be two types of Club - this will be the same as everywhere else in UK .

FIREARMS Clubs - traditional Rifle and Pistol clubs - these usually have airgunners , and an airgun section or area to shoot . So 'Airgun Friendly'.
    But by their very nature and legal approval to exist have little to do with the average Airgun user running low power non Fac weapons .

AIRGUN CLUBS - not Fullbore/Rimfire related . These may have Fac members but in main are sub 12ft/lb airgun users .

At this stage what with legislation upon us in the following months [ Basc claim it may happen as soon as next April .... ] it doesn't matter what Club you try and join .....if they let you ......however it appears that a traditional Firearm Club can have 'difficulties' - they are bound by Home Office approval or Police operating procedures .
    At first you would say 'whats the problem ' ....but after the Pistol 'Ban' / Dunblane and even before , there were strict membership rules , attendance issues , and the old days of 'turn up and try things out ' have since long died ..... Not out of place perhaps at an Airgun Club esp if you are invited but never at a Firearms Club .

Its just something I have picked up on ...it would seem logical to want to shoot at a 'real ' Gun Club but there may be difficulties for some .
    Last edited by hebhaggis; 26-07-2015 at 06:44 PM.

To avoid reading the tedious legislation!
    Will you be able to shoot on private land if you get your Licence?
    Ie. your own property or with permission.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    To avoid reading the tedious legislation!
    Will you be able to shoot on private land if you get your Licence?
    Ie. your own property or with permission.
    From what I understand yes but it will adhere to the same rules as for FAC. That is it must be for a reason such as pest control (and be suitable size, thatvis not your back yard) or for plinking/target/zeroing be suitable size and safe (backstop, boundary control so people can't unexpectedly enter the "range") and not annoy your neighbours. They might want to inspect it, if they ever have enough manpower to do so, so I would expect some very long delays.
    Think Twice, Shoot Once

So anyone with a bit of land could give permission to licensed airgun shooters to eg target shoot?
    Without being a formal club?

Just trying to think of ways to confuse em!

After all even in SNP Scotland you must have a right to carry out legal activities on your own land and nobody says shooting a licensed airgun is illegal.

And when is a Club a Club?
    If I give permission to five blokes to shoot on my land that isn't a Club.

Will an air rifle club or air rifle shooting area need to have a section 11 like a clay club after the new legislation is introduced?

This is a weird bit of misunderstood law. If I as a shotgun holder took my friend to my permission where I control vermin or shoot game (land not owned by me) and gave my friend (not a license holder) a shot of my shot gun under my supervision I would be breaking the law! Only the landowner could supervise my friend legally.

However if we went to a clay ground and carried out the same role we would not be breaking the law as they hold a section 11 exemption!

Will this apply to air rifle clubs! If so the introduction of new non certificated members would be risky unless the the club were in possession of said section 11 exemption!

More Clubs to add ?

Any more Clubs list them here .
    Any NEW Clubs starting ? Please post here .
    I will then ask the Mods to 'sticky ' this and tidy up the thread .

If people know where Clubs are it will be half the battle won in applying for a Licence ....club membership will be one of the 'valid reasons' to apply
    for a Licence . Not everyon can be a 'collector' or vermin controller ....

So far no Clubs it seems in outlying areas .North or West ...

Regards
    Haggis

Scottish Airgun Clubs

I'm over in Scourie mate, 6,000 acres of un-used estate land and can't get a permission for zeroing. Nearest club is Strathpeffer about 85 miles. How about the foreshore though ? Wildfowling between low and high watermark without permission, just access permission required. Worth an enquiry.

To all those in SW Scotland look up:-

http://www.ukshootingsupplies.com/

Good indoor range facilities and thriving membership.

All main details on website and also has a good Facebook presence I understand.

Very convenient if you live in and around Lochmaben, Lockerbie of Dumfries etc!

Hope to see you there.

atvb
    David
    May today be the best day of your life and all your tomorrows even better!!

Thanks Topdog

..Another and now added to THE LIST

Grampian contact details

Grampian ARC http://www.grampian-air-rifle-club.co.uk/ mobile contact Chris on 07989 419250 or Bill on 07856228268

Two shooting grounds.
    1:Indoor 10m pistol/rifle & 25m rifle ranges
    50m flood lit outdoor range
    at Denwood range,countesswells rd,Aberdeen, AB15 7YD

2: 2x full time hft courses set out in 8 acres of mixed woodland,open ground and quarry.
    at Waulkmill fisherie,New Deer,Turriff,Aberdeenshire AB53 6UL

great bunch of people from all walks of life.
    Still taking new members
    GRAMPIAN AIR RIFLE CLUB