Thread: S&W 586/686 or CP99 RWS C225

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What everyone else has said

I currently have a 586, a CP88, a CP99 and a C225.

I much prefer the feel in the hand of the semi-auto style guns. And I dislike rubber grips, and finger grooves, which the 586 has both of.

But the 586 has two more shots per clip, better trigger (especially in DA but often in SA), better sights, very good build quality, and better accuracy.

Of the semi-auto lookalikes, you'll get differing opinions, but the CP88 tends to get the most plaudits.

The 99 fits the hand very well, but the sights are crude to the point of stupidity, and their adjustments are fiddly; the DA trigger is usually pretty awful (the SA is pretty good).

C225 is oddly appealing to me, but as a shooting proposition the CP88 is better (same sights, worse trigger in both modes, 1/2" shorter barrel so noiser and less powerful).

Less experience with the 1911 and Beretta. The 1911 ought to be a nice gun, but I have a mental block about a 1911 with a DA trigger. The Beretta probably is too, but I've never rated the real gun, and it is a big old lump set alongside, say, a CP88.

So, buy either a 5/686 or a CP88. Then wait and buy the other one. When you get bored, buy something else. But do NOT sell the 586/CP88, because you'll regret it. That's my advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    So, buy either a 5/686 or a CP88. Then wait and buy the other one. When you get bored, buy something else. But do NOT sell the 586/CP88, because you'll regret it. That's my advice.
    ^^^^^Quite Right! And yes the Umerex 92fs is indeed a fair old lump, but very nice with dark walnut grips.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    ^^^^^Quite Right! And yes the Umerex 92fs is indeed a fair old lump, but very nice with dark walnut grips.
    Sure is, the umarex beretta 92fs is my best pellet pistol..

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...%20new%202.jpg
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

Thank to everyone who's replied. Off to see a s/h 586 and a CP88 later. The 586 has both the 4" and 6" barrels. Probably only ever use the 6". Didn't think asking price was too bad until I had a look at the SWS site in Germany and priced it all up. Now wondering whether to buy new from Germany?

I would agree with most of the above. The Smith & Wesson is a superb pistol. I thought I would mention the reason you won't find much info on the RWS is that it is now marketed by Umarex as the Hamereli S25 or S26. They are very good value at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by matt 1966 View Post
    I would agree with most of the above. The Smith & Wesson is a superb pistol. I thought I would mention the reason you won't find much info on the RWS is that it is now marketed by Umarex as the Hamereli S25 or S26. They are very good value at the moment.
    The C225 was later sold as the "Reck Police" and the Hammerli P26. Only the markings are different.

The Hammerli S26 is close to, but not identical to the C225. It has a different CO2 loading system, a different grip a bit closer in size and shape to that of the SIG 226, and a slightly longer slide and barrel, also like the SIG 226. But the same poor trigger. And, in one of those marketing decisions that only make sense in Umarex HQ, they made it with a black frame and a shiny stainless-look slide, not the all-over military grey/black of the real 226, which would surely have been more appealing to a lot of buyers.

They are indeed good value because Umarex stopped making them last year and dumped them on the market (if I find a cheap one, I'll probably buy it).

Just bought the Umarex 586 and generally, I like it a lot. One problem though is that I have had to set the rear sight on max elevation and max windage to shoot to point of aim at around 10 metres. Out of the box, it was shooting way left and way low. This is quite disappointing as obviously I have no sight adjustment left. As the pistol comes with 3 fore sights, I was going to lower one of those to give me some elevation adjustment. I can't see from an external examination though why it shoots so far left.

I could use a red dot etc , but I really wanted to shoot this with open sights. I'm wondering separately whether the genuine S&W rear sight will fit so plastic could be replaced by metal. Don't know how accurate a copy the Umarex is though.

Steve.