Thread: Yet another Webley-Whiting build.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Yes Len, very nicely finished, and vey good performance results for this type of design. I can understand your reticence about using acid etching for the lettering as it is an unforgiving process. Any mishaps could irreversibly ruin the look of a project that you have put so much effort and time into. Apart from the cost and logistics, letter stamping would also be very risky given the thinness of the steel at the relevant area, with the accompanying high risk of distorting the cylinder walls.

What was your pistol, with its 37 coil spring, like to cock? I found that mine fitted with a 32 coil spring took a Herculean effort to cock, made worse by the poor grip afforded by the slim cylinder and the worry that one's fingers could depress the sear prematurely. I could get muzzle velocities near 300 fps, but using the gun was not a pleasant experience and not something I wanted to do more than a few times. It was not until I had reduced the number of coils to 25 that it became really easy to cock, but not surprisingly the muzzle velocity was reduced to nearer 175 fps.
    Thank you John.

Cocking effort is about the same as cocking a Senior. I find that the first 20 degrees or so takes a bit more effort than the remainder of the cocking stroke. The technique that I developed to overcome this is, after depressing the latch button, I use the left thumb to push upward against the underside of the cylinder, while lifting with the right hand. Once the fingers of the right hand have a solid grip on the cylinder, the rest of the cocking stroke is relatively easy.

I probably put a good 200 pellets, if not more, through the gun yesterday, and the only after effect on me was an indelible grin.

ccdjg is online now Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Thanks for your reply Len. Obviously I need to do some more experimenting with mine, trying it with a narrower gauge springs and using more coils. I don't think mine has reached its full potential yet.

Thanks for posting, collecting is cool, making from scratch is just amazing skill and talent. Be interesting to fit with a shorter barrel, even if it's not historic. Would make it look just like a firearm. Does the longer barrel add to the ballistics?
    Last edited by 45flint; 21-07-2016 at 12:31 PM.

Truly beautiful job. I never realised before - but it has a sort of 'prussian' look to it. Sort of broom handle mauser'ish.
    I think this deserves a suitable wooden case! congrats. Have enjoyed every bit of following you on this.
    Richard

When I made my first Whiting copy I made a short .22 barrel to copy the Webley automatic pistol. Even with the pellet seated well inside the barrel it barely had the energy to exit.
    Mac