Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yet another Webley-Whiting build.

This is an awe inspiring example of precision work.

Thank you for sharing...

...Titan
    Ego didici ex doctrina

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Very, very nice work Len. Congrats on solving the detent problem so effortlessly.

Cheers,
    John

Thank you once again for the kind words gentlemen.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Very, very nice work Len. Congrats on solving the detent problem so effortlessly.
    Thanks John.
    The detent problem was not exactly effortless - it took two trys to get it just right.
    Very pleased with the end result though.

wow....
    ...flabbergasted..!
    Last time i looked you had a couple of lumps of metal - and now: Voila!

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardj View Post
    More pics and details on the build.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/40594...+bits+finished......
    Awsome..

Almost dumbstruck.

Update - Finally finished.

After a much-too-long break from working on this project, I finally got back to it.

One of the hurdles that I ran into was how to go about applying the "Webley & Scott Ltd." markings on the side of the compression chamber. I do not have access to a pantograph, and not one of the many local trophy engravers were willing to even try cutting lettering in steel - even if I supplied the needed cutters. I was hesitant to try using an etching process due to my unfamiliarity with the chemicals and the process itself. That left the option of perhaps purchasing a set of 1/16" letter stamps with a gang punch capable of doing each line of text in one blow, but after pricing them, that idea was dropped. That left but two options open to me - try buying a set of individual 1/16" letter punches and trying not to make a mess stamping one letter at a time, or just forgo the markings on the gun, and perhaps print the details on the lid of the storage box I intend to build for the gun. I decided on the latter.

The next obstacle I ran into was the bluing. I had hoped to have the gun hot-salts blued, but was unable to locate any shop locally that was willing to do the job. I also wasn't too keen on shipping the gun to some shop whose best estimate on turn-around time was "whenever we get enough guns to make a run worth while". As a result, I reluctantly decided to try bluing the gun myself using one of the cold blue formulas available.

The cold blue job finished up nicer than I had expected, but not as nice as I would have liked.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/u...%20-%20LHS.jpg

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/u...%20-%20RHS.jpg

You will notice as well, that the grips have not yet been checkered. I am not yet satisfied with my checkering skills, and will not tackle these grips until I am confident that I will be able to do a job that I will be happy with.

Testing and Performance:

The mainspring that I chose for my build is the center spring from the two spring set found in the Anschutz LG380, cut down to 37 coils. Initial testing with this mainspring was very encouraging, resulting in a ten shot average velocity of 299.24 FPS with JSB RS pellets (7.33 gr), for a muzzle energy of 1.46 FPE. The gun was then disassembled for bluing.

During re-assembly after the bluing, I burnished moly paste into certain key areas, in addition to the light oil that I had used in my earlier, initial test. The piston seemed to slide much smoother than before, so I was wondering if any improvement might be realized in the gun's performance. After a few test shots to allow things to work in a bit, it was time to run a few shots over the chrony.

Once again, I was pleasantly surprized.
    Using JSB RS pellets (7.33 gr), a ten shot average of 312.84 FPS was recorded, for a muzzle energy of 1.59 FPE. I decided to try some heavier pellets to see what the results might be.
    Using JSB Exact Express pellets (7.9 gr), the ten shot average was 304.42 FPS, for a muzzle energy of 1.63 FPE.
    Next, I tried the JSB Exact pellets (8.44 gr), and recorded a ten shot average of 293.35 FPS, and 1.61 FPE muzzle energy.

Due to the length of the barrel, the pistol is muzzle heavy, and this imbalance is exacerbated during the shot cycle, making the gun a bit of a challenge to shoot well. After plenty of practice shots, I decided to try shooting some targets.

The first target was shot at 5 yards, using the JSB RS pellets, from a standing, offfhand position, using a two hand hold. I was able to keep 10 shots within about a one inch +/- group, with the best of the targets shot at this distance measuring 0.937" CTC.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/u...05%20yd-s.jpeg

Next, I tried shooting a few targets at 10 yards, using the same pellets and shooting position as before. Well, I don't know if I was just tiring, or if it was because my poor old eyes were having difficulties with focusing on the targets and sight picture at the increased distance, or what, but the 10 shot groups were now averaging around three inches, with the best target of the bunch measuring 2.687" CTC.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/u...10%20yd-s.jpeg

All-in-all, a very enjoyable project, with a satisfying outcome, and an excellent addition to my Webley collection.

Len, it looks great! What cold bluing product did you use?

Grant
    Nanaimo, BC

Quote Originally Posted by grantb View Post
    Len, it looks great! What cold bluing product did you use?

Grant
    Nanaimo, BC
    Thanks Grant.
    The stuff that I used is Birchwood Casey Perma-Blue Paste.

Really superb work, Len! Considering the plans for this pistol were left on the shelf by Webley all those years ago, the Whiting has developed quite a 'life' of its own since. The design has obviously captured the imagination. I suppose that if it had taken off as a production model, Messrs Johnstone and Fearn might not have bothered...
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Yes Len, very nicely finished, and vey good performance results for this type of design. I can understand your reticence about using acid etching for the lettering as it is an unforgiving process. Any mishaps could irreversibly ruin the look of a project that you have put so much effort and time into. Apart from the cost and logistics, letter stamping would also be very risky given the thinness of the steel at the relevant area, with the accompanying high risk of distorting the cylinder walls.

What was your pistol, with its 37 coil spring, like to cock? I found that mine fitted with a 32 coil spring took a Herculean effort to cock, made worse by the poor grip afforded by the slim cylinder and the worry that one's fingers could depress the sear prematurely. I could get muzzle velocities near 300 fps, but using the gun was not a pleasant experience and not something I wanted to do more than a few times. It was not until I had reduced the number of coils to 25 that it became really easy to cock, but not surprisingly the muzzle velocity was reduced to nearer 175 fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Really superb work, Len! Considering the plans for this pistol were left on the shelf by Webley all those years ago, the Whiting has developed quite a 'life' of its own since. The design has obviously captured the imagination. I suppose that if it had taken off as a production model, Messrs Johnstone and Fearn might not have bothered...
    Thank you Danny.
    One can only wonder how history would have played out had Webley spent a bit more time refining the Whiting design.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Yes Len, very nicely finished, and vey good performance results for this type of design. I can understand your reticence about using acid etching for the lettering as it is an unforgiving process. Any mishaps could irreversibly ruin the look of a project that you have put so much effort and time into. Apart from the cost and logistics, letter stamping would also be very risky given the thinness of the steel at the relevant area, with the accompanying high risk of distorting the cylinder walls.

What was your pistol, with its 37 coil spring, like to cock? I found that mine fitted with a 32 coil spring took a Herculean effort to cock, made worse by the poor grip afforded by the slim cylinder and the worry that one's fingers could depress the sear prematurely. I could get muzzle velocities near 300 fps, but using the gun was not a pleasant experience and not something I wanted to do more than a few times. It was not until I had reduced the number of coils to 25 that it became really easy to cock, but not surprisingly the muzzle velocity was reduced to nearer 175 fps.
    Thank you John.

Cocking effort is about the same as cocking a Senior. I find that the first 20 degrees or so takes a bit more effort than the remainder of the cocking stroke. The technique that I developed to overcome this is, after depressing the latch button, I use the left thumb to push upward against the underside of the cylinder, while lifting with the right hand. Once the fingers of the right hand have a solid grip on the cylinder, the rest of the cocking stroke is relatively easy.

I probably put a good 200 pellets, if not more, through the gun yesterday, and the only after effect on me was an indelible grin.

Thanks for your reply Len. Obviously I need to do some more experimenting with mine, trying it with a narrower gauge springs and using more coils. I don't think mine has reached its full potential yet.

Thanks for posting, collecting is cool, making from scratch is just amazing skill and talent. Be interesting to fit with a shorter barrel, even if it's not historic. Would make it look just like a firearm. Does the longer barrel add to the ballistics?
    Last edited by 45flint; 21-07-2016 at 12:31 PM.