Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hornet heads for Brno fox

Hornet heads for Brno fox

I've only been reloading since the beginning of the year, but rapidly have become quite addicted ....
    Why isn't there some kind of Sticky warning about this??

I've established that my '78 Brno .22 Hornet is a bit of a tack driver with 35g V max hand loads, are there any other 35 - 40g heads that members have found tend to preform well in this gun? I'm asking because I know my Brno .22rf was very ammo fussy and exclusively would only group with eley subs.

Where will all this end? Getting into reloading was on my bucket list but now already I'm reloading .22 Hornet, .410, fireforming .303/.410 brass. I've even picked up a .243 again, which I'd dumped off my licence because I found shooting factory 90g ammo unpleasant, but now I have a very sweet shooting Brno whizzing 55g Sierras along at 3700 fps. And I don't even own a press. (Yet)

Apparently the 40 gr blitzking is good, I'm just about to try them in my older 527, angry bear has had very good results with 30gr Barnes varmint grenades in his 527 which is a hornet k

If the fox has a similar mag set up to the 527 you may find mag length restricts you to shorter (soft nose/HP) bullets as the ballistic tipped rounds are too long for the mag when loaded for best velocity 1.745" being the max length I can mag load whereas hodgdon load data for 40gr tipped rounds is with a COAL of 1.85".
    Last edited by 223AI; 13-07-2015 at 09:38 PM.
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    Apparently the 40 gr blitzking is good, I'm just about to try them in my older 527, angry bear has had very good results with 30gr Barnes varmint grenades in his 527 which is a hornet k

If the fox has a similar mag set up to the 527 you may find mag length restricts you to shorter (soft nose/HP) bullets as the ballistic tipped rounds are too long for the mag when loaded for best velocity 1.745" being the max length I can mag load whereas hodgdon load data for 40gr tipped rounds is with a COAL of 1.85".
    Thanks for this. It's soft point/HP I'm particularly interested in, and I don't really want to go lighter than 35 due to wind drift. I see there is a Barnes VG in 36g?
    Last edited by Ranyhyn; 13-07-2015 at 10:41 PM.

I tried the 36gn but they were complete shyte, where as the 30gn are awesome, averaging 3400fps with 13.7gns of lil-gun in my K.

Sierra 40gn #1200 are also pretty good but I've found that the velocity needs to stay around 2800fps to keep accurate.

Because they are lead free the varmint grenades are longer than lead core bullets for the same weight so the 36 gr are too long for a 1:16 twist to stabilise.

If its soft point then Speer do a 45gr soft point that looks very good, I've only tried it in reduced loads but I think at full velocity it would be a good bullet. Hornady and Sierra both do 'hornet' designated 40/45 gr soft points but no one seems to have any in stock around here.

I have tried nosler varmageddon FBHP 40 gr and though not as good as the 35 v-max they'll do 1/2" at 100 which is good enough for me.
    Last edited by 223AI; 14-07-2015 at 09:22 AM.
    Thanks for looking

Try sierra 40 and 45 gn varminter sp or 45gn hornady hornet

Quote Originally Posted by nicholiath View Post
    Try sierra 40 and 45 gn varminter sp or 45gn hornady hornet
    The Sierra 40's look like a good candidate to give a try.
    What kind of speed have you run them at for best consistency?

Sierra 40 and 45 gr did well in my CZ. My best results were with 35gr Hornady V-Max. When I couldn't find any I used 40gr V=Max with equally good results though being longer you have to modify how they are loaded to get them to fit in the magazine. PM me if you want details of how I went about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eligus View Post
    Sierra 40 and 45 gr did well in my CZ. My best results were with 35gr Hornady V-Max. When I couldn't find any I used 40gr V=Max with equally good results though being longer you have to modify how they are loaded to get them to fit in the magazine. PM me if you want details of how I went about this.
    Pulled the tips out?
    Thanks for looking

Pulled the tips out?
    Ditto?

Pulled the tips out?
    Yeah - or just snipped the yips off, didn't make any difference to the accuracy.

I alos loaded some a little deeper with the lip of the case just over the ogive then lightly crimped. They shot fine.

been usin the 1210 sierra 45 g in my old BSA clover holes at 125 yards ,usin 2400 ,found the sellor belliot a good factory round so adapted the home loading to near same
    Tempest .22, BSA Lightning(delux) .22 ,HW 80 K .22 Sako finn fire .22rf, Browning Buckmark 22rf , BSA 22 Hornet centre fire ,Winchester s/a mod 1400 12 bore, Winchester select light 12 bore J Manton hammer side bee side 12 bore and a 410 hushpower, BASC MEMBER

Thanks for all this info everyone, Sierras appear to be a palatable projectile as an alternative to V-max.
    Much appreciated

Half in Torquay, half in a wood in north Worcester
    34gn Midway Dogtown HP bullets are excellent through most .22 Hornets - usually dirt cheap too.
    Serial .300 Win' Mag' fondler

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    34gn Midway Dogtown HP bullets are excellent through most .22 Hornets - usually dirt cheap too.
    They seem to get good reviews from CZ users in the states. Where do you get yours from?