Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hornet heads for Brno fox

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    34gn Midway Dogtown HP bullets are excellent through most .22 Hornets - usually dirt cheap too.
    If you can get hold of them!
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by Ranyhyn View Post
    They seem to get good reviews from CZ users in the states. Where do you get yours from?
    Adam doesn't like loading for hornet do you mate?
    Thanks for looking

Ruger_shooter is offline Meadowlark Lemon's Personal Tailor
    Stick to the 35 grn VMax, foxes don't like them one bit.

Half in Torquay, half in a wood in north Worcester
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    Adam doesn't like loading for hornet do you mate?
    Home loading for the Hornet is the Devil's work, practiced only by his disciples...

I have about 500 34gn Dogtown bullets somewhere in one of the boxes yet to be unpacked from the last house move - I will find them eventually and put them up for grabs (or on one side for Scott until he sees the light and buys a .222). Tony Leamon in Hereford usually has them in stock as he is (was) a Midway agent.

A.
    Serial .300 Win' Mag' fondler

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger_shooter View Post
    Stick to the 35 grn VMax, foxes don't like them one bit.
    They're not big fans of 30gn Barnes either

Now where did I put my horns ?

Graham2 is offline Slightly camp, makes decent chilli, and has a box of tissues and a can of 3 In 1 in the gun room
    A K&M tapered case mouth reamer is all you need to make .22 Hornet reloading as easy as any other calibre.
    Not camp, Gary just wishes I were!

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    Home loading for the Hornet is the Devil's work, practiced only by his disciples...

I have about 500 34gn Dogtown bullets somewhere in one of the boxes yet to be unpacked from the last house move - I will find them eventually and put them up for grabs (or on one side for Scott until he sees the light and buys a .222). Tony Leamon in Hereford usually has them in stock as he is (was) a Midway agent.

A.
    He ain't cheap though. I'm ok as long as I don't neck size (or I should perhaps read the instructions on the collet die).

As for .222 looks lovely to be sure but for now it's too close to the .223 for me to make space for one.

Need to call you ref the powders over the weekend at some point mate
    Thanks for looking

Update ... getting good results with 45gr Speer Spitzer over 6gr of Alliant steel. 5gr and 5.5gr was loose, as was 6.5, but 6gr tightened right up. Strangely enough 35gr V-max was optimal at 6 too. they are bucking the wind much better than the 35gr V-max.
    I'm finding that reloaded Privi brass cycles very well in my Brno, better than Hornaday or Remington.
    Initial tests with 50gr Speers were no better than Privi 45's ... 4" groups. The 45 Speers are giving me 1" @ 100yds in a gusting breeze and within an inch of POA, the 35's would have been horizontally straffed over several inches.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranyhyn View Post
    Update ... getting good results with 45gr Speer Spitzer over 6gr of Alliant steel. 5gr and 5.5gr was loose, as was 6.5, but 6gr tightened right up. Strangely enough 35gr V-max was optimal at 6 too. they are bucking the wind much better than the 35gr V-max.
    I'm finding that reloaded Privi brass cycles very well in my Brno, better than Hornaday or Remington.
    Initial tests with 50gr Speers were no better than Privi 45's ... 4" groups. The 45 Speers are giving me 1" @ 100yds in a gusting breeze and within an inch of POA, the 35's would have been horizontally straffed over several inches.
    Hmm, I've gt some which I have been playing around with a reduced load with, will have to try a full fat load with them, how is the expansion?

Funnily enough the equal powder load for both weights doesn't surprise me, 12.9 gr of lil gun seems the best weight for every bullet I've tried so far.
    Thanks for looking

I didn't get to check for expansion as I was shooting into a railway sleeper. I have some 50gr in the same flavour but as yet only tried them over 5gr, which produced nothing meaningful. They are the next candidates for development, but may well be too heavy for my rifling to spin up.