Thread: Reloading 357magnum and 38special

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Reloading 357magnum and 38special

What die set should I get from Henry Kranks?

It says with 38 special 3die set you can reload 357 magnum

So should I buy this kit ? http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?...oducts_id=2299

This is the deluxe pistol kit with 4 dies and she'll holder

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Not clear from the website what the 4th die actually is - the three die set has Resizer, Expander/Powder thru, and Bullet seat/crimp. I presume that in the 4 die set the 4th die is a crimp die. When I used to use a 3 die set I found that the seat/crimp die had a tendency to shave lead off the edge of the crimp cannelure (remember that it is in the final stages of crimping while the bullet is still moving in the final stage of seating), so I obtained another die, set one so that it would seat and not crimp, and the other so that it would crimp and not seat - much better that way.

If you plan to switch between .38spl and .357mag, because of the different case lengths, be aware that it will be necessary to re-adjust all but the Resize die when you change cases. Those who do so frequently usually purchase another turret plate and a second set of dies (one for each case type) so no re-adjustment needed.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Fairly sure that's the set I use and do load both cases. Prefer the longer case myself though.

Steve

it looks like my set jack but the bar code is different.mine is 7 34307 90510 1.
    this just could be the fact that it is the 4 die set maybe

Cheers 👌🏼

Lee 38 SPL Pistol 4-Die Set. Includes Carbide Full Length Die, Bullet Seating Die, Powder Thru Expanding Die, carbide factory crimp die, Universal Shell Holder, Powder Dipper and InstructionsLoad Data.

Make sure there Carbide ones
    You will find that the Bullet Seating Die crimps the bullet in anyways, so the
    carbide factory crimp die is not needed

http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?...oducts_id=1918
    Last edited by Simon_S; 16-07-2015 at 04:39 AM.

Crimping .357 ???

I have a Lee 3 die set, i.e. no specific crimpt die, I hope to obtain a carbide sizing die soon and am interested in whether I should also obtain a carbide crimpt die?

I note that the previous answer said that there was no need as the sizing die did the job?

Any opinions on this?

Also, does everyone crimpt there 357 rounds? I've loaded and fired many many rounds and never conciously crimped a round, with no adverse effect that I've noticed

I'm using about 7.2 grains of GM3 powder with a 0.358 diameter, 158 grain, copper coated bullet

Thanks for any/all replies
    6.5 55 SWEDE.223 HOWA VARMINT NIKON 8X32X50 -.22LR CZ STYLE-16" .17 HMR CZ AMERICAN-16" SIMMONS AETEC-12G BERETTA A.302,AYA NO 4,BAIKAL O&U