Thread: Vintage pellets?.

Vintage pellets?.

Hi all,
    Recently picked up a 2nd pattern Webley service and the below came with it along with a Webley principles of marksmanship book, the book has got may 1934 written in pencil at top corner of it and on the inside the serial number of the gun which make me think they have always been together.

Also with the rifle were the below:

http://s621.photobucket.com/user/guy...tage%20pellets

Any ideas on dates for them? The wasp's are unopened and the round Webley tin seems full as well.the card box looks as though some have been used as does the square Webley tin.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    Hi all,
    Recently picked up a 2nd pattern Webley service and the below came with it along with a Webley principles of marksmanship book, the book has got may 1934 written in pencil at top corner of it and on the inside the serial number of the gun which make me think they have always been together.

Also with the rifle were the below:

http://s621.photobucket.com/user/guy...tage%20pellets

Any ideas on dates for them? The wasp's are unopened and the round Webley tin seems full as well.the card box looks as though some have been used as does the square Webley tin.
    Not sure of dates Matey, but the orange tin has the 'weaman street' address so will be around the time of the Service, nice bonus!

aimless Guest
    Would like to see some pictures of the book !!!!! If you have the time......

edbear2 Guest
    Hi Guy, that's a great haul!...

The Wasps started in this paper label and address style in 1933, they went to a screen printed identical label after a few years, but I don't know when exactly, so 1930's in period, value around £35-55 (an identical tin sold recently for £42 but had a damaged label, although the sealing tape was good).

The round Webley, well someone else will help...I thought these were 30's/40's myself but have not got a Webley book where there is more info. This has a paper label to and a different font to the screen printed version, and could do very well, gut feeling even though worn would be £40+

The oblong Webley is 1930's to 1958 I believe, again a collectable tin which normally makes £35-55+ even in that condition.

The Fagan is another prewar one I believe in introduction, but am not 100% sure ....one the same but in VGC has just made over £90 at auction...yours maybe £35-60.

Prices seem very keen at the moment, but all these are nice examples with a value (all these values are based on auction results and can vary for many reasons, but at the moment it is a strong market).

HTH,

Regards Ed

Cheers for info chaps, they seem to have been with the rifle for a while, the presence of the .177's makes me wonder if there was a .177 barrel as well when the gun was found..... Hmmmm...... Or in the 1930's when the gun was purchased..... Probably still sitting in a loft somewhere.

Hi Guy,

Which edition of Morton's book is it? I'd hazzard a guess at 2nd or 3rd from the info you have provided

John

John, will check tonight and let you know.

http://s621.photobucket.com/user/guy...bley%20booklet

pictures of the booklet above, 2nd edition as shown.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    http://s621.photobucket.com/user/guy...bley%20booklet

pictures of the booklet above, 2nd edition as shown.
    Thanks Guy - it's in far better condition than my own 2nd edition!

John

did you ever ise this kind of pellets in uk

This type of 'slug' shape was common in the UK before the waisted pellet came along and it was also a popular cheap alternative for many decades to come. Pre WW1 and WW2 German catalogues are full of this type of projectile as it was ideal for smoothbore Gem type airguns.

A nice piece of history.

John