Thread: best budget pistol

best budget pistol

Hi all i am new to target pistol shooting i cant shoot rifle due to a bad knee , i have a small budget of 300 quid ish . I have a cp1 and have the use of a great styer sport at the club but i want my own pistol , what is my best bet ? i have been looking at the air arms alfa proj but not sure of what way to go , would like to do 10 m have access to a dive bottle at the club and also a pump at home
    thanks
    scott

The downside of the Alpha is the trigger which really isn't great, (I had the earlier Apha proj so my opinion is based on that, and it is just my opinion) There are other (older) pistols out there that are far better, although you will struggle to find PCP for £300 other options could be the FWB65/80 series (recoilless springers) FAS604 (SSP) There are also some great CO2 pistols such as the early FWB C10/20 Walther CP1/CP2 (Presuming you have the newer CP1 which is nothing like the Wather CP1) all of which are great shooters, one to also consider is the Tau7, it uses CO2 caplets and is still in production so spares/seals etc are readily available, I know of 2 shooters who use these and get superb results, both are serious contenders for our club championships, I also had a Tau7 and definitely rated way it above my Alpha which I sold on very quickly, The Tau's really are great pistols with excellent triggers and worth serious consideration for your budget) "Target" PCPs tend to fetch higher prices, £450 May get you a Steyr LP1 if ya lucky otherwise your generally looking at £600+

I'm sure others will also have some suggestions for you as these are just my opinions based on my experiance, welcome to the most frustrating yet enjoyable and rewarding sport out there.

Quote Originally Posted by snippy View Post
    Hi all i am new to target pistol shooting i cant shoot rifle due to a bad knee , i have a small budget of 300 quid ish . I have a cp1 and have the use of a great styer sport at the club but i want my own pistol , what is my best bet ? i have been looking at the air arms alfa proj but not sure of what way to go , would like to do 10 m have access to a dive bottle at the club and also a pump at home
    thanks
    scott
    Last edited by nige346; 18-07-2015 at 11:40 PM.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Tau 7. Way better pistol than the AlfaProj
    You can buy them about new directly from factory for 300ish pounds
    ATB,
    yana

Get a bigger budget

Don't buy junk.

As Nigel says. Steyr LP1 for around £500 is a great gun for the money. They are out there.

Many thanks for the replies will have a good look around and save a bit more money

For your £300 budget I can only agree that the TAU 7 ( even better if you can find a genuine TAU 7 Match) is an excellent choice and a Steyr LP1 or LP1P for a little more is at least as good as the current ( and far more expensive) Steyr LP10.

The mentioned CO2 pistols from Feinwerkbau ( Model 2, C10 and C20) and Walther ( CP1, CP2 onwards....) are superbly engineered pistols that some of our club members actually prefer to the PCP pistols and everyone that shoots them likes them and finds them rather more "forgiving" that the PCP pistols to shoot.

We have one excellent Alpha in our club that has proven to be very accurate and reliable but this one is "the exception and not the rule" as the others have been unreliable from new and been very disappointing so I would suggest looking elsewhere .
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Have you thought of a Baikal?
    You can get an ssp within your budget and a pre charge version not far over.
    Have a look on that famous west country gun shops site.
    A few people on here have them and reported good results, although the grip is not to everyone's liking!
    J

Yep another good option, the grip has plenty of meat on it can be re shaped easily to fit, don't think I've ever had a grip yet that didn't need some reworking to fit me properly, the IZH46 is built like a tank, has a great trigger, will probably last forever and a day and is another pistol that will give great results on a budget, you can always upgrade as you improve & if you buy the right pistol to start you will get nearly if not all ya money back when you do

Quote Originally Posted by Jehoolio View Post
    Have you thought of a Baikal?
    You can get an ssp within your budget and a pre charge version not far over.
    Have a look on that famous west country gun shops site.
    A few people on here have them and reported good results, although the grip is not to everyone's liking!
    J
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

There is an IZH46 in the sales section.