Thread: PPU ammuntion smokless powder

PPU ammuntion smokless powder

Does any know what make of powder ppu use in the bullets particular the swiss 7.5x55 fmjbt. thank you

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    God only knows, they are Serbian though.

Why not drop them an email and ask?
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Quote Originally Posted by tony1 View Post
    Does any know what make of powder ppu use in the bullets particular the swiss 7.5x55 fmjbt. thank you
    dont know about the PPU, however there is a very strong rumour the Reloader17 is the fill powder for GP11, certainly works OK in mine.
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Even if you knew the information it would be of little use, would even be misleading. Ammunition manufacturers buy powder in multiple ton quantities; not by the pound! They therefore specify what they need from the powder manufacturer. Usually based on a standard military specification (the military are the largest consumers) along with a list of custom properties such as slight changes in density, deterrent coatings granule size and so on. An often quoted example of this is the case of Green Dot, of which Hercules (now Alliant) made at least four different versions; one (canister) for the consumer market and three for commercial ammunition loaders. The difference in the versions offered for commercial loaders was chiefly one of bulk volume in order to compensate for variations used space in shot gun ammunition arising from the differences in volume of of shot of the same weight but different size. An once of No. 9 will take up less room than an once of No2 shot.

For the reloader, who uses canister powders, the powder has to be manufactured to be as close as possible to a design standard so that when that jug of N140 you bought over a decade ago runs out you can go on to use N140 that was made a month ago with a fair degree of confidence that the performance will be consistent.

The Swiss did not use ANY kind of Reloader propellant in GP11, last produced in 1992.

tac
    swissrifles.com

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    The Swiss did not use ANY kind of Reloader propellant in GP11, last produced in 1992.

tac
    swissrifles.com
    thanks for that Tac, in that case I will amend my statement to " Reloader17 is a very good replacement for the original powder used in GP11"
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

To be honest (and hopefully helpful) I would see what powders those reloading for this chambering are useing, then see what is the most available, then worry about cost (depending on whether I was shooting lots of it).

There is no point trying to replicate something you may never be able to get (or get on every day with an X in it).

If you can get it, and you are not shooting much, buy a couple of cans and go for it.

If you are shooting a lot of it, then maybe you might have to pay a tad more if the powder of choice just happens to be readilly available....itc catch 22 in that department really, thats why a lot of high volume shooters buy powder in 3,5 or 20Kg drums if they can do it.

Thumbs up

With jacketed bullets I use N140. With cast I use anything from GM3 to N140. Plenty of loading data on swissrifles.com.

I remember in an article a few years ago that privi used a powder made by M&B in Lucani , Serbia.

Yep, I can confirm that, Prvi Partizan uses powders made by another Serbian company, "Milan Blagojevic" from Lucani - thats like 40 km away from me, and distance between them also.
    From what I know, MB doesnt sell their powders to reatilers, they just produce for companies.
    Benjamin Discovery .22, Mellon Air RVA, M-Rod trigger, MTC Mamba 4-16x50, BSA Scorpion .177, Altaros regulator, MTC Viper 10x44, Daystate Air Ranger .177, Hawke Sidewinder 8-32x56 20X Mil Dot, AirArms S410 FAC .22, Altaros regulator, MTC Viper 6-24x56

Thank you all

Quote Originally Posted by tony1 View Post
    Powder in the bullets? The bullets are just lead with a jacket made from a copper / zinc alloy.

If you are asking what powder they use to load their ammunition that is different, but as already stated not very useful because ammunition manufacturers do not usually use the powders that come in retail packs. Basically they buy the powder by the hundreds of tons so they specify the properties of the propellant they need rather than load to the propellent available.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by andrew375 View Post
    Powder in the bullets? The bullets are just lead with a jacket made from a copper / zinc alloy.

If you are asking what powder they use to load their ammunition that is different, but as already stated not very useful because ammunition manufacturers do not usually use the powders that come in retail packs. Basically they buy the powder by the hundreds of tons so they specify the properties of the propellant they need rather than load to the propellent available.
    You know what he meant you blend.....

Quote Originally Posted by Parabuteo View Post
    You know what he meant you blend.....
    There's always one mate!!
    Thanks for looking