Thread: Changing Attitudes

Changing Attitudes

Hi,

One of my favourite air gun reference books remains AIR GUNS AND AIR PISTOLS by L.Wesley. An indication that it may be a bit outdated can be found at the following paragraph on page 2.

"Most members of the fair sex frankly have not the slightest idea what an air-gun is, but we can cheerfully excuse them as, after all why should they bother their pretty heads over such things".

It reminds me of a comment in one of the early book of the BSA Air Rifle publications from before the first world war which suggested that if a boy had no interest in guns and a girl no interest in dolls, they were likely to be suffering from some form of mental disorder!

Regards

Brian

Unframed Dave is online now World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Especially when they should be in the kitchen baking a Victoria sponge.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi,

It reminds me of a comment in one of the early book of the BSA Air Rifle publications from before the first world war which suggested that if a boy had no interest in guns and a girl no interest in dolls, they were likely to be suffering from some form of mental disorder!

Regards

Brian
    Those were the days Brian!!

John

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Frame View Post
    Especially when they should be in the kitchen baking a Victoria sponge.

Dave
    thats an old fashioned point of view.

most ladies these days are in the kitchen making a sammich

Amazing, Brian. And to think there are still some dinosaurs around who hold very similar views.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Unframed Dave is online now World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Whilst I'm at work, I'm the boss. Soon as I get home, I put my views in a little jar on the kitchen counter and behave myself.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Frame View Post
    Whilst I'm at work, I'm the boss. Soon as I get home, I put my views in a little jar on the kitchen counter and behave myself.

Dave
    +1

My Mrs caught me secretly ringing my fancy woman.

"Thank God for that!" she said "I thought you was buying yet another airgun".

Love her to bits really.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    My Mrs caught me secretly ringing my fancy woman.

"Thank God for that!" she said "I thought you was buying yet another airgun".

Love her to bits really.
    My Dad gave me good advice many years ago.
    He said: "try and get your wife to walk a mile every morning, and a mile every afternoon. That way - after a week - she'll be 14 miles from home!!"

Hi,

One of my favourite air gun reference books remains AIR GUNS AND AIR PISTOLS by L.Wesley. An indication that it may be a bit outdated can be found at the following paragraph on page 2.

"Most members of the fair sex frankly have not the slightest idea what an air-gun is, but we can cheerfully excuse them as, after all why should they bother their pretty heads over such things".
    My very PC step daughter bought me this for Xmas last year, & guess which page it fell open at when we were having a look at it?

On changing attitudes in general, some of the old Webley pistols ads recommend the .22's for vermin control, & press ads mention shooting sparrows & starlings...
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Commercial advertising has also changed and I imagine the old packets of Lane's Cat Slugs with the drawing of a startled looking cat under the moonlight on the front wouldn't go down too well in these enlightened times.

Regards

Brian

Commercial advertising has also changed and I imagine the old packets of Lane's Cat Slugs with the drawing of a startled looking cat under the moonlight on the front wouldn't go down too well in these enlightened times.

Regards

Brian
    See this old ad for the sort of gun those slugs would have been designed for...
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    See this old ad for the sort of gun those slugs would have been designed for...
    Hi Danny,

Unbelievable !!!!!!!!

Regards

Brian