Thread: HW40 or HW75

HW40 or HW75

I've got a couple of HW45s and a HW 40.
    Is it worth spending out on a 75 for this Winters MPL comp?
    I find the 40 quite accurate and easier to shoot accurately than the 45s.
    My knowledge of target pistols is limited but I'm only interested in this
    type of gun.
    atb Glyn

The HW75 has a nicer trigger (when set up correctly), but there is nothing at all wrong with the HW40.

The HW75 has the quality build factor, metal and walnut. The grip is better than the HW40. All of these points are not necessarily going to give better results. The HW75 is quite a bit heavier.

The HW75 needs to be pumped AND the hammer pulled back. Unless you have huge hands it is not viable to cock the hammer with your right hand, so you need to use the left hand.

When I had my .177 Silver Star I had a go with another club members Model 75 and although it looked and felt like a Black Star that is where the resemblance ended.

Shooting it was a joy and it was absolutely recoilless making it a much nicer target pistol than my Silver Star - and I thought that either of the Stars was a better target pistol than the standard Model 45 pistol due to the helpful semi-target grip (also used on the Model 75).

The Model 40 is a nice lightweight SSP pistol but its larger brother is definitely a better target pistol IMHO if the weight suits you - and if you already have two Model 45 pistols I am guessing the weight would be not problem for you.
    Last edited by zooma; 21-07-2015 at 04:40 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Worth mentioning the HW75 dry fire mechanism. Cock the hammer and pull the trigger; no need to raise the over lever as with the HW40 (and similar over lever SSPs).