Thread: Schoolboy error

Schoolboy error

Recently reloaded a batch of about 100 .30-06 165 grain speer hollow points which prove to be extremely accurate but can't for the life of me find my load data! (either forgot to write it down or mislaid it).

I know I can diss-assemble a round and re-weigh the load but how can I tell if I used Varget or H4350? Is there any visible difference in the powders?

Regards
    David
    .243 Remy 700 VLS , .17 HMR Savage, 22 CZ, .30-06 Sako 85, David Lloyd in 7 x 57, CZ550 .375 H&H, .22 Ruger 10/22, .308 Tikka T3 Lite SS, .223 Howa Stainless, .300 Win Mag

Could you see if your powder weight is over the maximum for one of the powders?

call yourself a reloader I have been there done it got the t shirt.. keep records

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Its an awkward one but I have to say I agree with ratshot...not that it helps you now I know.

Its good practice to note times fired, loading details, and any changes made to cases and prep (I.e, you annealed on one load, or crimped on another).

Thsi way, not only do you have some idea of how knackered your brass is, but more importantly, when you have a stonking load, or have to start again with another combination, you have some start data tucked away that could save a lot of time, aggro, and even points in a comp...and possibly your boyish good looks.

I have a basic A4 sheet (I ripped relavent info off of a Lyman record book) and it has about 5 reloads worth of data to fill in. Just has the rifle info at the top and each time you reload....

tuck these into a nyrex folder and you can simply place test targets etc in with the data sheets for that batch of cases.

I also keep a basic list of Chambering, case type, bullet type, powder weight and COL for my normal loads pinned to my reloading bench...simples.

Still manage to lose my test targets though!!!!!
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Being one stage up from senile [although there is some debate on that], I have 72pt black on white laminated label hanging on hooks on a loading bench shelf right there in front of me as I'm reloading. For example, it might read '.308Win 155gr Palma Match - 44gr IMR4064'. In that way I don't make up anything else by mistake.

Sure it's simple, but so am I.

Try it.

tac