Thread: SportsMatch GC2

SportsMatch GC2

Morning All

I recently acquired a GC2 an absolute minter, the previous owner has looked after it very well, not a mark anywhere, it is probably the tidiest GC2 I've ever seen.

The previous owner tells me it has just been serviced, the rifle cocks and dry fires fine, because of work commitments I've not had the chance to shoot it yet.

I was wondering is their anyone about on this forum who could tell me, if I can change the old fill adaptor to a new air arms fill adaptor? or better still could I remove the old fill adaptor and fit a fill adaptor with pressure gauge?

Also does the rifle have any issues I need to know about? (apart from the over filled exploding air tube legend).

Who services these rifles apart from sportsmatch and SCR?

Any advice/help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ray
    Say what is true, although it may be bitter and displeasing to people.

JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggsmakaveli View Post

Also does the rifle have any issues I need to know about? (apart from the over filled exploding air tube legend).

Who services these rifles apart from sportsmatch and SCR?
    The exploding air tube isn't a legend: it happened. Dave at SCR informed me that any GC2 coming in for a service without inspection stamps on the air tube goes back to Sportsmatchfor an inspection - at you cost

Be wary of the 3 bolts that hold the filler plug into the air tube: they bear the full pressure of the charge on their shoulders. As the pressure varies each time it is refilled and then shot, the bolts move a little,straining the threads. Mine were stripped, and I had to have mine helicoiled by Dave after Sportsmatch said it was OK to do it.

If yours is a Mk1 then any changes in power need a stripdown to do it. Mk2 and 3 have the adjuster.

Use Dave at SCR: he's close enough to you and straight down the M5. He likes working on GC2s and does a fine job. Otherwise, contact Bigwalk on the 'BBS.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry

From what I've read and heard the air tube that exploded was because the rifle was left to be filled unattended, so who knows what pressure catastrophic failure occurred?

I will take a look at the other items you've mentioned and I will speak to the previous owner and find out where and when it was exactly serviced.

it is a mark 3 and has the power adjuster in the cocking button(rod) at the back.

Do these rifles have a sweet spot, what is the optimum fill pressure, or shall I just put pellet in barrel, pen to paper and carry out some tests?

Thanks
    Ray

From what I've read and heard the air tube that exploded was because the rifle was left to be filled unattended, so who knows what pressure catastrophic failure occurred?
    Hi Ray,

Not true. I have met the owner of the exploded GC2 when I bought the stainless steel replacement rifle Sportsmatch built for him: http://www.airrifle.co.za/attachment...7&d=1414590417

He told me he was holding the rifle inverted by the stock when it let go. He suffered quite a bit of bruising and wood splinters. luckily the metalwork opened like a banana skin rather than fragmenting.

He gave me a photograph of him with the remains of the gun: http://www.airrifle.co.za/attachment...1&d=1437559456

The issue was apparently a small amount of incorrect alloy tubing being supplied to Sportsmatch. Hence the ultrasound testing to verify other tubes were the correct material.
    Last edited by rockdrill; 22-07-2015 at 10:06 AM.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Quote Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post
    Hi Ray,

Not true. I have met the owner of the exploded GC2 when I bought the stainless steel replacement rifle Sportsmatch built for him: http://www.airrifle.co.za/attachment...7&d=1414590417

He told me he was holding the rifle inverted by the stock when it let go. He suffered quite a bit of bruising and wood splinters. luckily the metalwork opened like a banana skin rather than fragmenting.

He gave me a photograph of him with the remains of the gun: http://www.airrifle.co.za/attachment...1&d=1437559456

The issue was apparently a small amount of incorrect alloy tubing being supplied to Sportsmatch. Hence the ultrasound testing to verify other tubes were the correct material.
    From what your saying it wouldn't be safe to assume that this ultrasound testing was carried out with the last service unless I can locate the service stamp on the reservoir action etc..

I will strip the rifle down tonight and take a look.

I did hear the defective tube in question was the poor end of the long length of tube.

I have access to a steel fabricating work shop, I can if required have a tube made there to be identical to the GC2 one and then have it powder coated, it just means the rifle will look like an original but wont be an original.

Just out of curiosity what numbers do you own, mine is number 281.

Kind Regards
    Ray

As yours is a Mk3 I would be less worried than if it was Mk1 as they were well aware of the isse by the time your rifle was built.

I couldn't tell you the numbers now as I don't have the guns anymore.

I do regret selling all of them so if a decent example turned up I would probably go after it.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

http://www.airrifle.co.za/attachment...7&d=1414590417

nice stock this one, I'm looking for a custom stock, will probably have to consult Gary Cane.

JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    Do these rifles have a sweet spot, what is the optimum fill pressure, or shall I just put pellet in barrel, pen to paper and carry out some tests?

Thanks
    Ray
    Fill to no more than 200 bar - any more and you'll learn why they are called "thumbreakers"! From that, you should get between 75-85 shots before it'll need refilling. Mine's pretty flat across the whole of the charge and then drops off: remember that the GC2 shoots as a closed action, where the air from the main reservoir can't flow through the reg during the shot, so you always get regulated pressure or less, never climbing at the end of the charge as the main chamber flows through the reg as the gun fires.

The nicest stocks were either John Welham or Kobayashi (sp?). Mine is a Paul Wilson, walnut with ebony caps. Shame you can't get them any more. Good luck with Gary Cane, nice but big bill/long wait.

Jerry