Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safety Warning

Exclamation Safety Warning

* * * * PLEASE READ * * * *

Today I received a rifle through the post from a fellow BBS member. Upon opening it I noticed that it had been sent cocked, unfortunately in my excitement I didn't bother to check if it was loaded. Without thinking I automatically pointed the gun in a safe direction (corner of room) and fired off the action resulting in a small pellet sized dent in the plaster/wallpaper and a very minor heart attack . Usually I am very aware of safety but today I let my guard down, luckily my subconsious was awake otherwise I may have had to fork out for a new TV/window etc and got the most serious dressing down ever from my wife when she got home.

I am very annoyed with myself at the moment, the more I think about the possible consequences the more it makes me cringe.

Please everyone remember if you ignore safety for a single second you could have to live with regret for a long time.

SAFETY FIRST,SAFETY SECOND, SAFETY ALWAYS.

Here endeth the sermon.
    Common sense is becoming so rare these days, it should be considered a superpower

I'd be more pissed off at the person who sent a rifle through the post not only pressurised (assuming PCP - illegal anyway) but cocked/loaded

Gary Foster Guest
    Christ!! You where very lucky, who the hell sent it to you in that condition?

I'm impressed that the bashing about the parcel must have received did not make it go off. Just think of the capital that the post office would have made out of this had it gone off and dented a van or worse, when Postcomm have stopped them refusing to carry guns etc.

Thanks for the warning.

Ten years ago I took a break barrel air rifle in to the gun shop for a service, and the owner opened it, a pellet flew out - days before, I had stuck one in to have it ready to hand for a magpie and forgotten all about it.

This was before we had kids around, and the gun was kept behind a wardrobe. I could have been prosecuted. Gave me a fright and made me more careful.

I e-mailed the member to inform him of situation. He was very annoyed as he is very safety aware. He thinks the culprit was someone left in the room while he went to get a box to pack the gun in.
    Common sense is becoming so rare these days, it should be considered a superpower

Theres a very embarressed person (still ) on here who sent me an Fx2000 with one still in the spring loaded shuttle.

Just as you did I cycled the bolt pointed it at a wall and bang.

Thats two lucky escapes, I also dont think any of the PCP guns I've bought from here have EVER been sent empty.

Food for thought gentlemen

Richard
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Mike H Guest
    I understand the safety warning bit .. but the whole world is now reading this thread More ammo for them me thinks ...
    Mike.

I think this could be made into a sticky.
    Safety comes Before anything else when shooting, or doing anything for that matter.

Pete
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Northernspark Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by svenhass
    He was very annoyed as he is very safety aware. He thinks the culprit was someone left in the room while he went to get a box to pack the gun in.
    Yeah right..

Steve

He is a long standing respected/responsible member.I could tell by the tone of his e-mail that he was as shocked as me, I have no reason to disbelieve him.

Guilty as charged also

Webley Raider off . Ripped it out the box in my excitement and test fired it in the direction of the floor(ish)

1 new skirting board later i dunno who was more stupid, myself or the bloke that sent it cocked and loaded. Also had a spare pellet in the mag (2 Shot Raider)

chris ballard Guest
    ****** hell...lucky man...but there but for the grace of...err...buddah go I

Quote Originally Posted by Mike H
    I understand the safety warning bit .. but the whole world is now reading this thread More ammo for them me thinks ...
    Mike.
    LMAO

Think you need to relax a little otherwise it wont belong before all we will be discussing on here is the weather

close call mate

I'm always checking my rifles/pistols, even when I just have them out of the cabinet for abit of a drool

I couldnt imagine sending a loading airgun through the post

the finger of fate is on the hand of a blind man. Who knows who he will point at next.