Thread: Old HW45

East Hanningfield, near Chelmsford, Essex

Old HW45

I have just purchased an old HW45, the serial # ( 369143 ) puts it about 1970 manufacture. Crikey that makes it 45 years old, surely not? can it be that old? It is putting out about 3.5 ft lbs with superdomes but with BSA Elite it doesnt have enough ooomph to push the pellet down the barrel. I have ordered a new spring and seals so hopefully it will improve things. Am I correct in thinking that the earliest 45,s didnt have the 2 power settings, this one doesnt?
    Last edited by schony; 23-07-2015 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Date wrong

Think that is correct for 0.22 calibre, dual cocking only on later models (IIRC it is dual on all 0.177).

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    Think that is correct for 0.22 calibre, dual cocking only on later models (IIRC it is dual on all 0.177).
    Yes this is the .22
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by schony View Post
    I have just purchased an old HW45, the serial # ( 369143 ) puts it about 1970 manufacture. Crikey that makes it 45 years old, surely not? can it be that old? It is putting out about 3.5 ft lbs with superdomes but with BSA Elite it doesnt have enough ooomph to push the pellet down the barrel. I have ordered a new spring and seals so hopefully it will improve things. Am I correct in thinking that the earliest 45,s didnt have the 2 power settings, this one doesnt?
    If you used the online serial number calculator it will probably be wrong. A few of us have tried it. My HW45 was bought new 3 years ago but the calculater states 1971! Same with my 75! ATB. Pete. PS. its true that older models only had one power setting (as should newer ones).
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by peteswright View Post
    If you used the online serial number calculator it will probably be wrong. A few of us have tried it. My HW45 was bought new 3 years ago but the calculater states 1971! Same with my 75! ATB. Pete. PS. its true that older models only had one power setting (as should newer ones).
    Thanks Pete. I was a little concerned about the date and contacted the site owner, Chris. He confirmed what you say, the calculator doesnt work with pistols. So unless you know personally or have the receipt there is not a sure fire way of knowing when your pistol was made. Oh well no matter. It is getting a major overhaul as apart from the fps all looks in good condition. I have ordered new mainspring and piston and breech seals.

I have just purchased an old HW45, the serial # ( 369143 ) puts it about 1970 manufacture. Crikey that makes it 45 years old, surely not? can it be that old?
    No, not that old. They were introduced around 1985.

I still have the .22 one I got for a Christmas present from my Dad in 1986.

Despite regular use it is still knocking out Superdomes at around 400 fps.

Early ones only had dual power setting on the .177 version.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Send the serial number by email to HW in Germany and they can tell you how old it is.
    Rich
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Stripped down

I have it all stripped down now for an overhaul. New piston seal, spring, timbum drop in and breech seal. Problem. The piston is sooo tight. I had to remove the transfer port block to get the piston out. Even without the new piston seal it is far too tight. I have miked the cylinder and piston and they seem round. Any one else had this problem?
    Also the piston seems to have two, low power and full power, notches but only cocked on the full power when I got it? Strange.

The piston is sooo tight. I had to remove the transfer port block to get the piston out. Even without the new piston seal it is far too tight.
    I had the same problem on mine and did the same as you did. I took the opportunity to replace both breech cap o'ring. I had measured 15N IIRC to get the piston to move. I had put it down to over doing it with dry firing (to size the PTFE piston seal). I just use it as it is now and gave up trying to get that extra ftlb.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno27 View Post
    I had the same problem on mine and did the same as you did. I took the opportunity to replace both breech cap o'ring. I had measured 15N IIRC to get the piston to move. I had put it down to over doing it with dry firing (to size the PTFE piston seal). I just use it as it is now and gave up trying to get that extra ftlb.
    Thanks Bruno. I am going to polish the inside of the tube and the outside of the piston, hopefully that will help. I think there may be rough spots inside from the machined cutouts.. I hope it is that simple lol.