Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Junior target pistol pony club tetrathalon

Junior target pistol pony club tetrathalon

Hi, looking to buy a single shot target pistol .177 for 10m 4 sec. turning targets for my 10 year old daughter to compete in pony club tetrathalon. Any suggestions? Have a walther 53 to exchange if anyone has something suitable. Also does anyone know where I could get a turning target holder?

The CO2 powered Lov21 pistols are basic but seem good value for money.

If you search around on a couple of threads on the BBS you will get some details of them.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

How long do you get to reload between target appearances?
    If a single shot target pistol will suffice as above or the CP1 (which you can get for approx. £100).

Lov 21 is a good shout.

Also consider the Crosman 2240 and EB9a.

They used to use Webley Nemesis pistols for that, especially the bright coloured ones (the Pony Club recommended them if I remember right). You should still be able to pick one up.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post
    Lov 21 is a good shout.

Agreed. http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-21-CO2-pistol
    I did a 47 ex 50 the other night. Witnessed, single handed @ 10m.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

LP2 Compact

The Steyr LP2 compact is a premium but very popular pistol, it could take you all the way to the Nationals and beyond if you decide to move to ISSF shooting.

Resale values are very strong providing you take care of it. With the Euro in a mess, good deals can be done.

Contact sureshot airguns for suitable targets and pistols. Good history with,pony club.

Hw40

I think a lot of pony clubs use HW40s. They are fairly light, the grip is a reasonable size, and the trigger is remarkably good for the price. And they are Weihrauch quality.

The current ones have fibre optics in the sights, which I don't like myself, but lots of others clearly do.

There is a Chinese copy of the 40 called a Beeman P17. It is not as nice, but can be found at a bargain price sometimes. Could be a good starter. It's cheap enough you could probably happily hang on to it as a plinker if you/your daughter later wanted to upgrade.

As Rob M said, the Nemesis is good. But out of production and a bit collectable these days.

IMHO, the 2240, CP1 and E9A are all less good choices for a ten-year old than an HW40. they are to varying degrees bigger, heavier, noisier, and/or have a worse trigger and/or worse sights.

The beeman17 /Hw40 is a good choice while your daughter is allowed to shoot two handed. Once she has to hold it one handed a Gammo compact is a good choice. If you are loading for her remember to turn the safety off each shot on the beeman HW pistols as there isn't time to pull the trigger, discover the safety is on , turn it off and shoot again. The Gammo doesn't have a automatic safety so is a better target pistol. If you decide to go for a co2 pistol put a new capsule in it for every competition as you don't want to run out during the competition.
    If she can hold it the lp53 is a better pistol than the ones I have suggested
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

yes been looking at these.

Quote Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post
    The CO2 powered Lov21 pistols are basic but seem good value for money.

If you search around on a couple of threads on the BBS you will get some details of them.
    Anyone know what groups they shoot? Seem good value at only £85.

pony club tetrathalon

Quote Originally Posted by Jehoolio View Post
    How long do you get to reload between target appearances?
    If a single shot target pistol will suffice as above or the CP1 (which you can get for approx. £100).
    Pistol has to be single shot. Under 11s can shoot two handed at 7m. Will look into CP1s Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
    They used to use Webley Nemesis pistols for that, especially the bright coloured ones (the Pony Club recommended them if I remember right). You should still be able to pick one up.
    Think it looks too bulky and heavy, also trying to steer clear of single stroke pneumatics so that she can reload herself. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post
    Lov 21 is a good shout.

Will check them out. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjacobs571 View Post
    The beeman17 /Hw40 is a good choice while your daughter is allowed to shoot two handed. Once she has to hold it one handed a Gammo compact is a good choice. If you are loading for her remember to turn the safety off each shot on the beeman HW pistols as there isn't time to pull the trigger, discover the safety is on , turn it off and shoot again. The Gammo doesn't have a automatic safety so is a better target pistol. If you decide to go for a co2 pistol put a new capsule in it for every competition as you don't want to run out during the competition.
    If she can hold it the lp53 is a better pistol than the ones I have suggested
    Thanks, my lp 53 has the barell weight and is too heavy, also not shooting great groups for me, but probably dye a service, and better pellets.