Thread: Holts September Auction

Holts September Auction

Hi,

Lots of Webley air pistols listed for Holts September auction. Particularly like this nice cased Senior complete with oil can and pellet tin.

http://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com...9712&saletype=

Also an engraved Webley Senior in a later wooden case and an early 'Straight Grip' Senior with the trigger adjustment screw.

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 24-07-2015 at 12:01 PM.

Unframed Dave is online now World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Relieved to say, nothing I'm after. Holts is just too close to me.

Dave

Some interesting items there but a shame many of the rarer pieces have been refinished or have incorrect parts. Good on Holts for providing an honest appraisal in most instances, unlike some other dealers though! Good to see a couple of engraved Webley Juniors too.

John

Hmmmmm.... Am liking the cases webleys, but are they correct?

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    Hmmmmm.... Am liking the cases webleys, but are they correct?
    seem to recognise the cases as they look very similar to those once belonging to a long standing member on here. The Parker Hale oil can with one set is not the right one but may well be contemporary. The post war leatherette cases are rarer than the pre war canvas & leather type, which makes them quite desirable.

John

Holts Auction

The Post War Cased Webley Senior pistol, Oil can & Pellet tin looks very very good.
    With the Holts 25% + VAT commission =30% it will be interesting to see the finale price.
    My gess would be £1450 plus commission = £1885, providing it's all original.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Knapp View Post
    The Post War Cased Webley Senior pistol, Oil can & Pellet tin looks very very good.
    With the Holts 25% + VAT commission =30% it will be interesting to see the finale price.
    Hi Barry,

I think your estimate for the cased Senior would be something of a record if it were to be correct. My guess would be a a more realistic £600 hammer, so around £800 with costs.

Quite a wait until we see what this lot actually makes on the day.

Regards

Brian

Well if that's the case I will be going to see KB as he has had a couple on his stand at the last few arms fairs cheaper than that!

Holts

Hi Brian
    Lets hope your estimate of £600 + commission is near the mark, but if two or three collectors start to bid on the day, we will see ,it will be interesting.
    Regards Barry

Hi Brian
    Lets hope your estimate of £600 + commission is near the mark, but if two or three collectors start to bid on the day, we will see ,it will be interesting.
    Regards Barry
    Not sure I'd like to make any guesses as to what the post war case might fetch as it is a rare variation and if two or three serious collectors don't have one....

John

The pre-war cased Senior (Lot 630) also looks quite nice. The case in particular seems to be in good condition and the pellet tin is correct. Although the oil can is a Parker Hale Valve Spout and not an original Webley, I believe it would have been contemporary with the pistol.

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 26-07-2015 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    The pre-war cased Senior (Lot 630) also looks quite nice. The case in particular seems to be in good condition and the pellet tin is correct. Although the oil can is a Parker Hale Valve Spot and not an original Webley, I believe it would have been contemporary with the pistol.

Regards

Brian
    Re. Lot 630. The Senior is unlikely to be original to the case either when you consider the early serial number, which probably dates from 1936. The cases were not advertised until 1938 but could have been bought as an optional accessory for an existing pistol of course. This is still a desirable set, nonetheless and I would rather see a contemporary PH oil can in the set than a modern replica.

John