Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Addict to Anorak - Work in Progress...

Some very good points, one & all - several of which I hadn't thought of, or rather, appreciated before.

I did use to be into (well, still am, just can't afford them!) classic motorcycles. But as observed old airguns are far cheaper, easier to work on & store.

And whenever I use my '61 Webley Mk 3 rifle, or their older pistols or early BSA 'Sporters, I really do appreciate the quality of manufacture compared to far newer guns I've owned. The precision of my Mk 3 tap is like a Rolls Royce.
    German match rifles? Well, not too sure about those (the only target rifles I have a yen for is a Mk3 S/T or a BSA Club) but any number of 60's/70's German rifles float my boat...

And, as observed, the advice/chat on here is great...

Now, I'd better have a quick look at the 'for sale' thread, not of course that I'll buy another gun till Xmas....

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Hi WILBA,

I keep missing FWB 300 and 300S models when they show up for sale. So far I have missed out on four! I wait in hope, but am having trouble resisting an expensive Gecado [Diana] 60 that has been on offer for at least 5 months. Then there are the Diana 75s - two for sale as well, but for big money also and two Gamo match rifles about which I know little as rifles, e.g. how they operate mechanically and whether they are easy to maintain/reconditiion.

Jim

Ballarat, Victoria, Australia

PS. Any information about old model Gamo 10M match rifles will be of help.
    Last edited by NTSOG; 26-07-2015 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by buttloaves View Post
    Air guns are cheap compared to light aircraft (tho once purchased its only the cost of fuel to keep it in the air, depending what aircraft it is)
    I'm told by the aircraft owner that fuel/airport fees/insurance/maintenance all drive up the cost of flying time, so the intial 'hardware' price is only part of the total cost of keeping a private 'plane. Not that I'm sympathetic...
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I'm told by the aircraft owner that fuel/airport fees/insurance/maintenance all drive up the cost of flying time, so the intial 'hardware' price is only part of the total cost of keeping a private 'plane. Not that I'm sympathetic...
    Hi Danny,

There is a way to make a small fortune out of owning a light aircraft and that is to start with a LARGE fortune !

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi Danny,

There is a way to make a small fortune out of owning a light aircraft and that is to start with a LARGE fortune !

Regards

Brian
    Indeed, Brian.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Like i said it depends on the aircraft, i paid £2000 for a paramotor and wing 14 years ago and apart from an engine rebuild after it blew the big end which cost £350, i only ever put fuel in it right up untill i sold it a couple of months back to buy my HW100, no regrets, my mates got a spare i can borrow anytime. i had a 1930s BSA STANDARD underlever a while ago the workmanship was beutifull.

Quote Originally Posted by laverdabru View Post
    Some very good points, one & all - several of which I hadn't thought of, or rather, appreciated before.

I did use to be into (well, still am, just can't afford them!) classic motorcycles. But as observed old airguns are far cheaper, easier to work on & store.

And whenever I use my '61 Webley Mk 3 rifle, or their older pistols or early BSA 'Sporters, I really do appreciate the quality of manufacture compared to far newer guns I've owned. The precision of my Mk 3 tap is like a Rolls Royce.
    German match rifles? Well, not too sure about those (the only target rifles I have a yen for is a Mk3 S/T or a BSA Club) but any number of 60's/70's German rifles float my boat...

And, as observed, the advice/chat on here is great...

Now, I'd better have a quick look at the 'for sale' thread, not of course that I'll buy another gun till Xmas....

Bru
    Not sure about BSA naming their guns after their old bikes, I had a BSA spitfire, not an airgun.
    http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/.../spitfire2.jpg

I would have thought they could come up with something a bit more airgunny like airsporter.

It's when you run out of cupboards and space that you know you're really a collector (and in trouble).

Lafayette.

Quote Originally Posted by lafayette View Post
    It's when you run out of cupboards and space that you know you're really a collector (and in trouble).

Lafayette.
    I need a bigger room

THIS is a boxroom of around 7'x5', It also has guitars at the back and some other bits but it's mostly guns, what seems to take up the room is the gunslips!!, They're needed though to limit damage to the guns

I know a chap (Through facebook) that has so many guns that he could shoot a different gun each day and it would take over two years before he got to the last gun

He was a sniper in the army many years ago so I think his chosen profession spilled over to his hobby!! He's well retired now and a great and knowledgable fella!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I need a bigger room

THIS is a boxroom of around 7'x5', It also has guitars at the back and some other bits but it's mostly guns, what seems to take up the room is the gunslips!!, They're needed though to limit damage to the guns

I know a chap (Through facebook) that has so many guns that he could shoot a different gun each day and it would take over two years before he got to the last gun

He was a sniper in the army many years ago so I think his chosen profession spilled over to his hobby!! He's well retired now and a great and knowledgable fella!!

John
    If that includes a leap year - thats sad. I can do two years at one per week.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

aimless Guest

bringing guitars and airguns together:

Like!!!
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

I also have developed a penchant for "modern classic" air guns in either pistol or rifle flavour. They are indeed great to use and own, and I fully agree that the German match guns such as the FWB 300 and 65 are superb examples of the brilliant engineering that for me are part of the joys of ownership. Even more importantly however, they still outshoot most, if not all of us.

On a slightly different tack, one of my own claims to fame was using my 1926 light pattern BSA (that still shoots really well) to beat an extremely competitive fellow club member who was using his recently acquired original version of the Steyr PCP 10 metre match rifle during one of our regular bell shooting sessions at the club late last year. He wasn't happy at all, and found it hard to accept that this was in fact possible.

Lets face it, there are far worse things to be into than collecting airguns. I must admit that I still find it hard to put a monthly cap on my spending as there is for me always one more gun that looks to good to miss.
    Happy days!

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Youtube clip sounds like Joni Mitchell!
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    If that includes a leap year - thats sad. I can do two years at one per week.

Ian- THIS was his work gear back in the day

He's a lovely chap too

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/