Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CO2 plinker recommendations?

CO2 plinker recommendations?

Hi all,

looking for a garden plinker

fairly set on a pellet gun as i dont like the idea of rebounds with BB's.

current thinking is probably a CP88 competition used, however i have also been tempted by the CP1 as its a lot of pistol for the money!

just wanted to see what you all thought and any other ideas i may not have thought of?

use is just plinking away for fun. i already shoot 22LR for serious target shooting so this is just for fun.

from what i can tell the CP88 is a good solid gun but i would be looking second hand. have found one locally in great condition with wooden grips and extra magazines - anything i should bee especially careful to check?

the CP1 seems to be a real bargain but then again for plinking the extra power isnt necessary and aparently its loud which although not a problem is less desirable. also whats your opinion on the multishot varient? i seem to be reading about a few issues with the magazine not being that consistent

thanks in advance for your guidance

I have a cp1 and have fitted a silencer to it. Makes for a very quiet accurate gun. Mine is .22 single shot. Friend of mine has a cp88 nice!

hi dave,
    for your first plinking gun, yeah go for a pellet gun why not, i would suggest the cp88 or 586 or beretta 92fs over the cp1 any day of the week for a plinker and even for paper punching at 20-25ft (not everyone with agree with me on that)

i was going to get a cp1 but soon as i felt the trigger i changed my mind, not a nice trigger pull at all but they can be modded and made better.. cp1 prices abroad are ok but i would not pay the UK asking price for one.

i have shot all the umarex guns and i do rate them quite a bit, yup they are not cheap but they last my beretta 92fs is 10 years old and still going strong, but if parts do wear down you can buy every part for them anyway, unlike most other replica airguns..

As your used to shooting cartridge firearms (so do i) try not to be too put off airguns when you get one, but your notice that most triggers have a different feel to them.. But the umarex guns with using them on single action the triggers are quite nice..

Dont be put off by BB guns either mate, if you want realistic they are the way to go for sure, a nice blowback BB gun say the umarex cqbp 1911 will be as realistic as your get (airgun wise), and the triggers on those are as nice as the real thing
    if you make a good backstop rebounds will not be an issue..

if you click on my youtube channel below you see my airgun armoury and other videos to that you might find interesting..

Go for the CP88 for now mate, if you do buy one secondhand just check for the normal stuff, check it holds gas without leaking, and also put a empty magazine in the gun, and pull the trigger a few times make sure the pawl is ok, then do the same in single action..

then get a blowback BB replica next

ATB, Marc..
    Last edited by Marc.RG1; 26-07-2015 at 09:45 PM.
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

A different point of view here...

I am also a 22LR shooter... and I'm sure you understand how important a good trigger is. CP-1 hasn't got the best trigger, but it's better than a Umarex Desert Eagle which has a very heavy trigger in both single and double action mode. I would imagine it's similar on the other Umarex pistols like CP99. You can of course mode the CP-1 a bit to make the pull shorter, and a bit lighter.

If you want something that you can shoot 8 rounds quickly then of course it will have to be one of the replica pistols.

Consider also the HW40 / Beeman 2004, which is in the similar price range (Beeman is much cheaper) and highly accurate in the right hands! It is of course not CO2...

Adrian

Umarex Smith & Wesson 586. CO2 powered, looks and feels great and has an excellent trigger in single and double action modes. Also boasts a 10 shot magazine. Perfect really.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    If you're already a serious target shooter, then ultimately I fear a lot of whats out there will ultimately disappoint - either through poor triggers as others have mentioned or outright inaccuracy.
    However, Umarex S&W or even the Crosman 3576w would be my recommendations in the CO2 multishot category and both have 10 shot mags whereas most of the other Umarex offerings are 8 shots (something that always irritated the OCD in me for some reason).

yeah out of all the umarex pellet handguns the desert eagle and the cp99 have the worst triggers of the lot, then the 1911A1 has the next worst trigger but the 92fs cp88 have much better triggers and the 586 586 has the best.. With the umarex pellet pistols though people sometimes dont tend to seat the pellets in correctly, they just push the pellets in the magazine flush and think thats correct, its not though you have to put them in about 2mm past flush, doing this make the trigger action smooth too..

heres a picture.. the magazine on the right has the pellets seated correctly..

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...c/DSCF0468.jpg

ATB, Marc..
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

thanks for the replies,

you are echoing my thoughts so far. the CP88 looks solid with parts available and has been around long enough to be well known without any real problems i can find. i regret not buying one when i first had a play with it nearly 20 years ago.

i have had a play with one in a shop and the trigger wasnt too bad in SA but for plinking its not a huge issue i dont think.

the CP1 looks like its got a great deal of promise if you are willing to put in the time fettling it and the price is good (from Poland anyway not buying in UK!)

i suppose i kind of know where i am heading. if i wanted a budget target shooter then the CP1 is a good way to get started but i am not sure about the multi variant and, well, its a Chinese job so longevity is likely to be an issue

for fun plinking the CP88 looks like the better choice for me.

blowback i pretty much ruled out from the start. i can see the attraction of the pseudo "realism" for those that dont know better but having spent several years with the real thing i have no doubt it will be a rather poor substitute most heartbreaking time was having to hand in my 9mm CZ85 and 22LR semi with custom grips. been sulking ever since the ban

and as for BB..... ok if i could have the cybergun uzi in full auto then i would be BB all the way but somehow i dont feel a section 5 violation to be the best path to go down

i dont know i just cant seem to bear heading down the smoothbore pistol route, just feels wrong to me.

so i guess are there any other options i may not be thinking about? i figure the other Umarex pellet pistols will be much the same as the CP88 so its a matter of cosmetic preference and feel as much as anything?? any other brands out there?

thanks again for the comments so far.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    If you're already a serious target shooter, then ultimately I fear a lot of whats out there will ultimately disappoint - either through poor triggers as others have mentioned or outright inaccuracy.
    However, Umarex S&W or even the Crosman 3576w would be my recommendations in the CO2 multishot category and both have 10 shot mags whereas most of the other Umarex offerings are 8 shots (something that always irritated the OCD in me for some reason).
    serious target shooter.... not so much these days as i dont get to spend the time needed. i know what you mean though i dont expect a match rifle trigger on these and as for accuracy again if i was going into competition then none of these are even close but for plinking away i reckon it will be a toss up between it being me or the gun at fault, but hey, its never a bad thingto be able to blame a miss on the gun

Hmm real revolver rather than revolver dressed up as an auto.... interesting.

Hadn't really thought about them. Seems wierd to have a 10 shot six shooter lol

Will have a closer look at them though.

Thanks for the idea.

"Umarex Smith & Wesson 586. CO2 powered, looks and feels great and has an excellent trigger in single and double action modes. Also boasts a 10 shot magazine. Perfect really. "

I totally go with the above... I have the factory tune "power-port" version in 4" barrel flavour. The trigger is waaay better than the Colt Gold Cup and CP88 I also have.

Just my tuppence wort,

Rod
    "Every silver lining has a cloud!"

HW77K, Rapid 7 MKI . HW97Colt GC, S&W 686 (CO2) HW75 . HW100K FSB

Another +1 for the 586.

Mine is 10 plus years old, still going strong and being used for plinking and comps. Out of the box a 586 is much better than an Umarex 1911; I can't speak for the other Umarex semi-auto replicas as I don't own them.
    Buckle
    Proud member of The YCHJCYA2PDTHFH Club

Z1 Owners Club GB Wanted: Nothing at present!

This thread is quite useful (especially my opinions :-)).

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....=1#post6755919

The 586 has the best sights and trigger (either DA or SA) of the Umarex guns, and is generally regarded as the most accurate. I have the 4", and it outshoots my 88, 99 and 225. Most reckon the 6", with slightly more power, a longer sight base, and more weight out front is the one to go for (and that the discontinued 8" is an example of too much of a good thing). They're probably right.

My left-field suggestion is the Baikal MP-651K. It is pretty cheap (especially from a certain trio of West Country gunshops). It lacks the quality and heft of the Umarex, being mostly plastic (and you cannot get spare parts for love or money). QC is variable: mine came with the rear sight canted a few degrees off, but I fixed that. However, it has a decent barrel of around 5" length, a very low bore line (which minimises both aiming and trigger control errors), quite a nice trigger in either DA or SA, and frugal gas consumption. And above all the blasted thing shoots cheap wadcutters into around an inch at 10m if I do my bit.

The more expensive, more complex, and nicer looking Baikal MP-655K is best avoided unless you want a gun-shaped novelty paperweight.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again for all the suggestions, I think I am fairly sure it's now between the CP88 and 586.....

Not sure which way to go with this but the 586 is sounding like a great little gun.

Also interestingly looks like I will be buying new as the prices from Europe are too good with the current strong pound. I feel sorry for people trying to selling these but I never pay more than 50% of the new price for second hand as I figure above that I would rather spend the money and get the peace of mind.

Best I have found so far is £150 delivered for the 586 and that's only a few quid more than used so it looks like new is the way

If anyone has any recommendations on European suppliers that would be great.

Thanks again to you all

Quote Originally Posted by opentoideas View Post
    Thanks again for all the suggestions, I think I am fairly sure it's now between the CP88 and 586.....

Not sure which way to go with this but the 586 is sounding like a great little gun.

Also interestingly looks like I will be buying new as the prices from Europe are too good with the current strong pound. I feel sorry for people trying to selling these but I never pay more than 50% of the new price for second hand as I figure above that I would rather spend the money and get the peace of mind.

Best I have found so far is £150 delivered for the 586 and that's only a few quid more than used so it looks like new is the way

If anyone has any recommendations on European suppliers that would be great.

Thanks again to you all
    Just before you leap into the 'new' market. It is widely recognised that the early models of both 586 and CP88 are made to a better standard than the new ones. You would also be able to get them in the 'blue' finish,which if it has been looked after is much nicer than the later matt black finish.