Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CO2 plinker recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by opentoideas View Post
    ....Seems wierd to have a 10 shot six shooter lol...
    But excellent for filling in two match cards

New prices from Europe are very good at the moment. Occasionally good value used ones come up, especially good value if you get a bunch of accessories with it (spare Mags, aux sight rails etc...).

If you are lucky enough to get a good F2F deal even better to check it out. You never know someone might be selling near you...and it might be the more desireable gloss finish. You could try a wanted thread to see what is available.

I have both the CP88 Comp and the 586-6, they are both strong accurate shooters, I'd say equal, and I like them equally,
    the 586 may be a little more powerful, at the expense of being a bit of a pig on gas, 40 rounds max, and it's heavier.
    The 586 is more susceptible to miss-fires, unless the pellets set into mag for improvement.
    I think that the Magnum Research Desert Eagle, if You don't mind plastic, is another very good candidate.
    Baikal MP654 MP53M IZH-46M LP53 CP88comp Alecto .177 LB, .22 Tempest .177, .22 Cr 2240 Weih HW45 HW45BS HW70 HW75 XSP180 Cometa Indian Hatsan25 Scorp MKII Benj Trail NP AVOKE Diana P5 Avanti747 * PLUS Over 70, Co2 BB/Pellet Pistols*

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    $0 shots...yours is a gas hog, maybe a service is in order - I get around 60-70 shots from my S&W IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    $0 shots...yours is a gas hog, maybe a service is in order - I get around 60-70 shots from my S&W IIRC.
    Same here, up to 7 good mags (~70 shots).

All good information.

Didn't know the finish had changed over the years. Will be having a look at a used CP88 tomorrow and from the pics I would say it was blued rather than paint but will be interesting to see.

One of the great things about a forum is the handy bits of information like this you would never know otherwise.

They have a black paint finish as they are cast from zinc alloy zamak and not ferrous material. Interestingly the new colt single action from Umarex is made from similar material and somehow they have managed what looks like a blueing type finish on one of the models. Underneath the blueing is what looks like a gold coloured dipping or plating to take the final blueing treatment. Looks very nice, but I bought the silver finish as the writing on the sides of the revolver does not stand out as garish as the blue and antique versions.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

I'm not yet certain on this forum's view on links or mentions to other sites so I'll just say I found a CP88 comp on a second hand celestial gun website

its not the nickel version but has 2 extra magazines so 4 total.

its only a couple of miles from me and he wants £130 which given new UK prices sounds about right, however, when I can get a new one for £160 delivered from Germany I feel its a bit steep for me.

if he is willing to move a bit on the price who knows. the other side is that it might be nicely "run in" it could be good or bad.

I had a play with one new out the box and got the impression that the action was pretty much what I would expect from mass production - functional but by no means smooth. I expect that with a bit of hand finishing like a gunsmith would do on a real gun it would be improved no end.

I've not yet seen the 586 in person. It is £10 less for the 6" from Germany but I just don't like the look of the magazine. I did see a couple of Colt's which had brass "bullets" that you put the pellet into somewhat like the old Brocock BACS. these obviously were just hollow with the gun having the CO2 on the grip but I feel it was a more authentic feeling gun if I was to go down the revolver route. I don't remember the manufacturer but it was nicely made and in double action the trigger was better than the 88.

With the Umarex I suspect that while the trigger action may be better out of the box on the 586 I would hope that with a bit of work it should be possible to get the 88 to the same level.

just a suspicion for now but looking forward to having a look at the local one.

Thumbs up

also thanks to forum sponsor J S Ramsbottom

I just received my first order of consumables from them and have to say A1 job

credit where its due - best price, fast delivery and well packed.

for all that I will take advantage of European markets its great to see a UK business that's just got it all right!

thanks everyone who commented.

I am now the happy owner of a CP88. managed to get the seller to a price where I was happy and the deal was done!

time for some plinking

Quote Originally Posted by opentoideas View Post
    thanks everyone who commented.

I am now the happy owner of a CP88. managed to get the seller to a price where I was happy and the deal was done!

time for some plinking
    Cool mate glad your pleased with it.
    Happy Shooting
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

Good Choice!
    Have fun
    You can always upgrade it to a 'comp' in the future.
    Baikal MP654 MP53M IZH-46M LP53 CP88comp Alecto .177 LB, .22 Tempest .177, .22 Cr 2240 Weih HW45 HW45BS HW70 HW75 XSP180 Cometa Indian Hatsan25 Scorp MKII Benj Trail NP AVOKE Diana P5 Avanti747 * PLUS Over 70, Co2 BB/Pellet Pistols*

Very interesting thread, I think it's helped me decide on the Baretta 92fs CO2 pistol...

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    .... Umarex S&W or even the Crosman 3576w would be my recommendations in the CO2 multishot category....
    Just bought a used Crosman 357 and am surprised how well they perform (given the basic construction). Although not a patch on the build quality of the Umerex 586-6, the 357 is certainly accurate and powerful with a very good shot count. They can be had for a snip, likewise spare mags from the site sponser.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    They are very good considering they aren't a patch on the price of the Umarex either... (which will cost double)