Thread: refurbish/ salvage advice please?

refurbish/ salvage advice please?

Hiya folks,
    I've picked up in the last week an old 77,35 an airsporter and a early Vulcan. The guy who sold them to me had them in an outside shed twenty years, they all work lovely, but the metal work is very rusty, particularly the barrels.
    I have taken drastic action with a wire wheel on the drill then put rust eating gel on. Some heavy pitting to areas on cylinders and the barrels are now bare steel with motteling all over them.
    So please could anyone advise on how to proceed from here, don't want to paint them, I have no problem paying to 're-blue and understand it will only colour not hide all the blemishes.
    Help greatly received,
    Regards,
    Jamie.

i wouldn't bother with re-blueing,if the blemishes and marks are deep how about powder coating?

Quote Originally Posted by Mole trapper View Post
    Hiya folks,
    I've picked up in the last week an old 77,35 an airsporter and a early Vulcan. The guy who sold them to me had them in an outside shed twenty years, they all work lovely, but the metal work is very rusty, particularly the barrels.
    I have taken drastic action with a wire wheel on the drill then put rust eating gel on. Some heavy pitting to areas on cylinders and the barrels are now bare steel with motteling all over them.
    So please could anyone advise on how to proceed from here, don't want to paint them, I have no problem paying to 're-blue and understand it will only colour not hide all the blemishes.
    Help greatly received,
    Regards,
    Jamie.
    Hi Jamie

When I've done guns in that state I've used a file but it's a bit of an art form to keep things looking right :-

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....t=It%27s+rusty

You may be better off paying an expert to finish them before bluing if you're not confident.

All the best Mick

Eek a file! thought I was being adventurous with the wire wheel lol.
    How about sand blasting? I think a mate has one.
    Could I leave it in the buff as it were? Obviously would need serious oil or a thin grease left on it at all times.

Powder coatings, hmmm, possibly, has to reach quite a heat though doesn't it for the powder to do its thing?

I have refinished lots of rifles like these, but do not want to repeat the whole process again. If you want to look up my posts you will see some I have cold blued

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD