Thread: Are we being ripped off? (Daft question)!

Are we being ripped off? (Daft question)!

A friend of mine has taken up shotguns again and bought a .410", 28b, 20b,and 12b.

As well as going shooting himself he wants to get his Grandchildren into it as well, hence the different shotguns, and he intends reloading to keep the costs down.

The load data is a bit scant and is not as easily found as it was years ago. And the different types of wads out there are unbelievable. When I was doing it the main types of wad were Remiington Power Piston, WW12, G wad and Plaswad.

I did some research to try and cross reference the wad types to find suitable loads for him with wads that are readily available.

On the American sites they appear to be only paying $14.95 for powders we are paying £36+ for.

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    On the American sites they appear to be only paying $14.95 for powders we are paying £36+ for.
    Just how long has it taken you to figure that one out?

Over in Oregon - about as far west as you can get on mainland North America without being in Alaska, I'm paying a whopping premium on Vihtavuori propellants. Yup, after travelling from Finland, over the Atlantic Ocean and ALL of the lower states of the USA to get there, it's still less than 60% what it costs here in UK, less than a thousand miles from Finland.

tac

Supply and demand, simple economics, same reason we get the dregs from bullet manufacturers
    Do nothing, achieve nothing

Market forces,
    If you buy in bulk you get a better discount, in the USA the importer/wholesaler probably buys 10's of thousands more than the UK.

I head a story that a UK importer (Viking arms?) tried to order something only to be told the entire next years production run had already been sold, when they started to complain they were told;
    "Honey, we have one store in Texas that sells more than we export to the UK, just how much do you think we care about your opinion" and had the phone put down !

John at Folkstone engineering Supplies is good for advice and prices.

Clay and game are closer BUT pricey

Junes1 is offline Not much point really in that case
    The Americans are paying about the same for Vectan powders as we are. The only difference at the minute is they are struggling to buy any powders at all generally. American powders are dearer for us but the answer to that is to not buy them in the first place.

John at FES has all the shotgun reloading supplies you could ask for at very good prices. I'm hoping to take a delivery when he comes this way in a week or two. He also has some good recipes on his website.

Apart from 12g you can make good savings if you can find a decent supply of empties to fill back up.

when you look at most things shooting from clothing to carbon barrels we pay M O R E .......its like that with everything though isnt it ?
    Rapid 7 / 10-22 ATN 2 Stiller Predator .204 Pulsar N970 Tikka T3 semi custom ATN MARS thermal.204 Tikka T3 Semi.223 Wylde IOR Operator Lawton 6mmBR Kahles Gen 3 - Stiller 6.5 x 47 Bushnell BDX - Winchester Red Performance SX3 12g

Supply and demand. Plus Americans put sales tax on top of their prices. We put 20% VAT in the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beard View Post
    Supply and demand. Plus Americans put sales tax on top of their prices. We put 20% VAT in the price.
    Not in Oregon and three other states they don't.

Fancy a nice new GSG StG44 or MP40 .22 semi for less than £350?

'course you do.

tac

Yes please. If we had another million shooters, things would be cheaper.