Thread: Rifle stock inspiration

Rifle stock inspiration

Finally I have managed to find me some walnut for some new stocks.

From the photo I have seen the wood look promising, two tone, light and dark.
    56mm x 300mm x 1100mm

I will start by making a new stock for my 97. It will be a match style stock.

However I do not have a clear picture in my mind of what I want to make

I need some inspiration!

I know you lads appreciate a nice looking stock, at least many of the posts here seems
    to suggest so...

Does anybody have some links to any pages with many photos, or simply images
    of stocks they think look great or of features they think look good or is a good idea to have
    on a stock for some reason.

I will be making this stock using only hand tools apart from two guide holes for the trigger
    guard screws that will be made with a pillar drill to ensure that they are straight. Inletting
    will be done with soot and a chisel

The whole process will be documented and photographed, if any interest I will make a
    thread about the process from plank to first shot fired.

Cheers.
    Wanted part new/used: Model 65, 80, 90 part 1600.178.1 Führungsachse, hinten ø 4,615 Guide axle, rear, ø 4,615

Thumbs up

That does look a nice piece of wood you could as i did inlet for the action and start to work out how and where your hands are going to be (not just the end of your arms ) .....good luck
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

That is about how I plan to do it. I want to move the trigger blade closer to the pivot point of the trigger.

I have already made a couple of ball bearing triggers for my 97, a nice upgrade by the way. It has removed
    all play from the trigger.

So I want to move the grip some forward, it was already to far back for my liking with the original trigger
    and I want to make a another trigger with an adjustable trigger blade enabling me to move the blade further forward
    or backwards again if desired feeling is not achieved.

I will drill holes for the bolts at the original trigger guard and inlay the action, find the trigger and work from there.

I really want to make a thumb hole stock, but as I am left handed it is kinda an anti social move, ensuring that no one
    else can use my rifle. I am thinking of making an ambidextrous thumb hole stock, but then again I am not a big fan of
    the look of those, the massive hole behind the grip does not appeal to me.

I will experiment on a piece of soft pine and see if I can make a thumb hole that is as small as possible mostly for
    left hand and still fairly usable for a right hand shooter.
    Wanted part new/used: Model 65, 80, 90 part 1600.178.1 Führungsachse, hinten ø 4,615 Guide axle, rear, ø 4,615

I find if i make a template out of 4 or 6mm ply to the shape i want i can at least try it out for fit before transfering it to the wood im going to use, after cutting out the basic shape and starting to carve ive found the stock evolves as i make adjustments to fit my hands and hold technique, you may drift away from your original design idea as new ideas come to mind in the process, try to remove a little at a time trying for fit regularly, if you do remove too much from an area epoxy mixed with sawdust makes a great filler and can be hard to spot if done well. As for inspiration just google custom gun stock images there's a lot to look at.
    Here's a couple of mine.

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/...rs%20042_1.jpg

I have made a coupe of stocks and I find it very satisfying when you can enjoy what you have made, here is a link to my Facebook page.
    https://m.facebook.com/MarkSandersonGunstocks
    Plenty of stocks on there to take a look at.

Mark.

Cheers guys!

Not a bad idea: Once one has decided on a rough shape, transfer it to some plywood for fitting.

Some photos of some nice stocks there too, cheers!