Thread: Fwb 300s

Fwb 300s

Not one for sale, sorry if thats what you were hoping.
    For many years i have had a pristine FWB 300S and sadly not an airgun i have ever used but of late i have fancied giving it an outing, whilst not a light gun for me, neither is it difficult to cock.
    But its been sat there unused for years and i guess its a bit of a lazy question but as i dont know what type of piston seal it has my question is this:
    is there anything i ought to do with it before shooting it? i have no desire to damage it in any way, so will it be ok to shoot? or does it need some lubrication or anything else.
    thanks
    eric

Hi Eric,

Other people on here have much more experience of these rifles than I, but the following may help answer your question.

The original breech seals and piston buffers rot. This breech seal on my FWB65 was on the turn, so I had mine serviced by City Air Weapons in Solihull; if the breech seal is going, it's fair to guess that the piston buffer is in a similar state.

Later breech seals were blue, and the latest ones are green. A new breech seal does not necessarily mean that the piston buffer is also new.

If you fancy doing the work yourself, spares and service kits are available at Waffencenter Gotha. I've bought from them before, and received excellent service. There's a strip down video by Tomaz Holmström on Youtube here.

Good shooting,

Matt

thanks

thanks for the reply Nikkormatt
    ive had to shoot the rifle now and you can probably guess why?

i got the daughter to move some other stuff so i could get the gun to hand and what did i do? well to see if it had the same breech seal as yours i pulled back the lever to check the breech seal and colour.
    the rest you will know.
    anyway the seal was the same colour as your old one but it looked in good order, i gave it a dig with a biro to see if it had perished and it held up well, ive seen other seals that seem to go waxy and break up.
    from what you say it will have a plastic or neoprene piston seal so theres not much point in drowning it in oil then, ill just give i a go now and see.
    I dont have the dexterity in my hands to peform the neccesary surgery myself to replace everything it would have to be done for me.
    eric

The piston seals in the 300 are steel (similar to a piston ring in an engine) they should last pretty much forever, the breach seal is a very easy replacement, these guns require VERY little lubrication and should only be done with the proper grease, PLEASE do not put oil anywhere near the cylinder internals.
    As these were designed as a target rifle to make holes in paper power should be around the 6ftlb mark, they're a superb rifle to shoot, seals do perish on the breach but internally they rarely need replacing.
    Cocking should be light and smooth and sledge system the same, these are in my opinion "THE" best spring powered target rifle ever made, probably why so many are still in regular use.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Could not agree more with that sentiment Nige. The 300S is a masterpiece of German engineering that is still more than capable now. Fantastic to own and shoot. I really must get mine down and have a play as she has been dormant for a couple of months. Incidentally, mine likes 4.50 R10s.
    Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    Could not agree more with that sentiment Nige. The 300S is a masterpiece of German engineering that is still more than capable now. Fantastic to own and shoot. I really must get mine down and have a play as she has been dormant for a couple of months. Incidentally, mine likes 4.50 R10s.
    Andy
    Hi Andy,

Given the vintage of the 300S I am guessing you are using the regular pistol weight of RWS 4.50 pellets of the R10 variety? R10 pellets were not around when the 300S was THE rifle to use.

Have you tried the RWS 4.50 Meisterkugeln pellets ? These were the pellets used at the time along with the H&N types but I believe from what I have heard and seen that these have changed somewhat over the ear but the Meisterkugeln remain the same and are well worth a try.

Bob.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

There's a guy in California using his to hunt ground squirrels. Not sure if I'm allowed to put up a link in this part of the forum?