Thread: Brass Ram Rod

Brass Ram Rod

Anybody know where I can get a brass ram rod from?

Apparently Kranks used to do one in three parts so you could use it for pistols as well as rifles inc. a muzzle guard but not any more.

Cheers

I don't know of anywhere to get a 2 or 3 pices ramrod from made from brass.

A length of 5/16" (.312") brass bar would do for most calibres. A wooden door knob on the end would stop it blowing the rod through your hand if you had a premature discharge while loading. For a bore guide you can either use a suitable cartridge or get one turned down from brass or aluminium. You could also find a piece tube that will fit into the bore and flare the end of it so it does not drop into the barrel. Plumbers use brass reducing bushes that might be suitable. All you would need to do is file the threads off the outside to tidy it up.

Sure I've got a 3 part Pedersoli brass ramrod/cleaning rod of which I use the first section for pistol loading.

Unfortunately I think i got it from Kranks and they are the importers.

Quote Originally Posted by steve medlock View Post
    Sure I've got a 3 part Pedersoli brass ramrod/cleaning rod of which I use the first section for pistol loading.

Unfortunately I think i got it from Kranks and they are the importers.
    Thank you Gentlemen, I sort of thought that I might have to fall back to a visit to the model shop for some brass rod etc.

Lots & lots available in the US but by the time I've put packaging/post etc. on I may as well make one up.

Cheers again

I make them in stainless steel with brass ends for the actual rammer. I could make you one in brass if you wanted but they do tend to go very black very quickly when exposed to the inside of a fouled BP barrel.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Try B&Q for the brass rod. You might also find a file handle there to go on one end. If not, most tool shops fo them.