Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bullet Heads.........arrrgh!

Doesn't anyone ask for ammunition anymore, or "Rounds" in the calibre they want?

Another term that gets on my tits is "recoil shield" aghhhhhhhhhhhhh.....which numpty came up with that one? It a breech face FFS.

Must be the same crowd that calls bullets "heads". I despair.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    I find it surprising that some shooters appear to be suggesting that it is some how wrong to want to use the correct terms - "anal retentive" - "who cares" - "grammar Nazi" (BTW this thread has nothing to do with grammar) etc.

I get it that "bullet heads" is not confusing, but if you ask for "bullets", you don't care whether you get projectiles or cartridges? Most suppliers around the world will supply you with the projectile of the style and calibre of your choice, but Kranks think you want cartridges - and it is a bad thing to point out that this is wrong?
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

xbow is offline "Right a bit, left a bit............"
    I agree that Bullet Heads is an annoying term but we do get a bit anal about ammunition sometimes. 99% of the public call a complete round "Bullets" and that's ok by me, not quite correct but close enough. If I were allowed to have the weapons I wanted I'd probably ask for ammunition by size and make if I had a choice when buying it so is that still wrong for some of you folks?
    We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.
    Rudeness is the weak mans imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer.

If I don’t reply to your comments it’s probably because you’re on my Ignore list.

Quote Originally Posted by xbow View Post
    I agree that Bullet Heads is an annoying term but we do get a bit anal about ammunition sometimes. 99% of the public call a complete round "Bullets" and that's ok by me, not quite correct but close enough. If I were allowed to have the weapons I wanted I'd probably ask for ammunition by size and make if I had a choice when buying it so is that still wrong for some of you folks?
    Well we are supposed to know more about firearms than 99% of the public (not that that's particularly challenging), a large shooting supplier/RFD really should know better.

Ammunition is a perfectly clear and unambiguous term as far as I can see. Are there problems with the term?
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    Well we are supposed to know more about firearms than 99% of the public (not that that's particularly challenging), a large shooting supplier/RFD really should know better.

Ammunition is a perfectly clear and unambiguous term as far as I can see. Are there problems with the term?
    Yep

Sect. 5 bullet (heads) are classed as ammunition in terms of your hold allowance so it is in fact all a mucking fuddle!
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    Yep

Sect. 5 bullet (heads) are classed as ammunition in terms of your hold allowance so it is in fact all a mucking fuddle!
    Classed as ammunition for the purposes of firearms legislation, is not the same as called ammunition.

In a similar vein, WRT permitted explosive holdings, primed cases are classed as primers when assessing total holding.

I agree that is a muddle, it seems that even police forces do not agree on the need (or otherwise) to enter expanding bullet acquisitions on the buyer's FAC. I believe that there have been noises about removing expanding bullets from S5. I never really understood the idea of classing expanding bullets/ammunition as S5 (prohibited) and then allowing to hold them anyway (so not in fact prohibited).
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post

I totally agree. I can quite accept that a newbie to shooting or maybe someone who has crossed from shotguns/airguns to firearms gets it wrong but once the error has been pointed out only a wally will continue to get it wrong. When talking to someone at the range who talks about "heads" I always think they are a little suspect and require a little extra watching.

Someone who doesn't even know the name of a basic component of a cartridge hardly inspires confidence. Are they shooting reloaded ammunition? Have they mistaken grams for grains, have they used the wrong powder, are they using pistol primers in rifle cases, have they put a nice stiff crimp on their 9mm ammunition - does it really matter? Who cares?

I think calling bullets "heads" when you should know better is about on par with those who have a flagpole in their garden and fly the union flag upside down.

Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    I totally agree.

I think calling bullets "heads" when you should know better is about on par with those who have a flagpole in their garden and fly the union flag upside down.
    What an unintentional call for help?
    Thanks for looking

So, to those of us who dislike the term "bullet head" for bullet, (and the consequent "bullet" to mean "cartridge" or "ammunition") - please air your views to the Krank's via their "contact us"

http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?...age=contact_us

No wonder the term is used by so many people - they are "learning" it from Krank's, who really should know better. At least the are describing "cartridges" as "ammunition" (which I am fine with) rather than "bullets".

I have already done so, but no reply so far......
    TANSTAAFL

Bullet heads = the projectile
    Cases = Cases
    Primer = Primer

Assembled together become a 'Round' or Bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by AD_K View Post
    Cases = Cases
    Primer = Primer

Assembled together they become a "Round" or Cartridge. (The bullet is the bit that goes down range.)

Quote Originally Posted by AD_K View Post
    Cases = Cases
    Primer = Primer

Yes, we all know what a bullet head is supposed to be BUT....

<sigh>

...a complete round is NOT a bullet, this is exactly my point.
    TANSTAAFL

xbow is offline "Right a bit, left a bit............"
    I can just see it now, John Cleese in suit and bowler hat:

"Excuse me my good man, may I have one hundred rounds of 9mm ammunition please"

Or Dennis Waterman:

"Box of 9 milly mate".

Which do we prefer!
    We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.
    Rudeness is the weak mans imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer.

If I don’t reply to your comments it’s probably because you’re on my Ignore list.

Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    I totally agree. I can quite accept that a newbie to shooting or maybe someone who has crossed from shotguns/airguns to firearms gets it wrong but once the error has been pointed out only a wally will continue to get it wrong. When talking to someone at the range who talks about "heads" I always think they are a little suspect and require a little extra watching.

Someone who doesn't even know the name of a basic component of a cartridge hardly inspires confidence. Are they shooting reloaded ammunition? Have they mistaken grams for grains, have they used the wrong powder, are they using pistol primers in rifle cases, have they put a nice stiff crimp on their 9mm ammunition - does it really matter? Who cares?

Blimey

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    Blimey
    Indeed!