Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Bullet Heads.........arrrgh!

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Just a logical offering but think on this.

many eons ago when people were loading from powder horns and bullet pouches, there was a singular item not connected to anything else called a bullet.

Fix it to the top of a combi of cartridge with, as has been noted, shoulders and a neck....head is a logical name for it.

you can see why people call it a head, or a bullet, bullet head is perhaps for those that call rounds or cartridges bullets...and lets face it many of us do.

So what the does it matter?
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Quote Originally Posted by waterford103 View Post
    Yet the folks who actually MAKE then call them what they are - BULLETS , Sierra actually call themselves BULLETSMITHS not HEADSMITHS ! I suppose in this lazy casual world it's ok for ignorant folks to call them h_ads , I can't bring myself to utter that word instead of BULLETS .

Yes, yes, yes. But if you've read the thread you'd know that we're past the rant stage.....

Randy Bohannon is offline “Junes1 is a whining bellend”
    Quote Originally Posted by Parabuteo View Post

many eons ago when people were loading from powder horns and bullet pouches, there was a singular item not connected to anything else called a bullet.

Fix it to the top of a combi of cartridge with, as has been noted, shoulders and a neck....head is a logical name for it.

you can see why people call it a head, or a bullet, bullet head is perhaps for those that call rounds or cartridges bullets...and lets face it many of us do.

Except that a cartridge already has something called a head in it, the case head.

As in bullet-hair.

In that case a better, incorrect name, might be Hair, surely?
    "An infinite number of monkeys banging away at type writers for an infinite period of time will eventually reproduce Hamlet" Thanks to discussion forums we now know this to be untrue.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Parabuteo View Post

Yes, it's SO logical that, bearing in mind centrefire cartridges as we know them were perfected about 145 years ago, the term "bullet head" only seems to have appeared in the last decade or so. If it was logical, surely people would have started using the term almost immediately.
    Bullet head is just plain wrong. I know what it means, but that doesn't make it right.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

More and bigger HEADS.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    How is bullet heads simpler, it's two words where as just "bullets" is one?!
    Well Randy my dear, in Johns world I just ask for a box of HEADS and the fellow behind the counter knows what I is asking for,init
    Now that is just one word [Heads].John F.
    PS, this site has gone from being an informative place to be to one of nit picking shite, by self promoting would be word Police, to thick to see that with the event of the internet and its new language that the world has changed forever. Move forward go to the shop and buy your self some HEADS you will feel better for . John F.

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    Bullet head is just plain wrong. I know what it means, but that doesn't make it right.
    Er, it's not wrong, at least not in the real world. In fact, it is less ambiguous than simply 'bullet' - which we've established can mean different things to different people. Big retailers use the term 'bullet head' as it is less confusing, so how can it be 'wrong'?

To call the 'bottom' of a rifle cartridge case the 'head' is just plain silly- on the opposite end of the case from the neck, shoulder and mouth for rifle cartridges....

We should change the term 'head' space to 'foot' space, now that would be an advance......

Quote Originally Posted by himself View Post
    Well Randy my dear, in Johns world I just ask for a box of HEADS and the fellow behind the counter knows what I is asking for,init
    Now that is just one word [Heads].John F.
    PS, this site has gone from being an informative place to be to one of nit picking shite, by self promoting would be word Police, to thick to see that with the event of the internet and its new language that the world has changed forever. Move forward go to the shop and buy your self some HEADS you will feel better for . John F.
    fair point well made sir but bullets is also just one word!

Im rather enjoying this row, which I will point out is the de facto purpose of the Internet, it's got to be better than the "which scope for my HMR" vs "what scope for my HMR" grammar nazi dance-offs, surely?
    "An infinite number of monkeys banging away at type writers for an infinite period of time will eventually reproduce Hamlet" Thanks to discussion forums we now know this to be untrue.

Im rather enjoying this row, which I will point out is the de facto purpose of the Internet, it's got to be better than the "which scope for my HMR" vs "what scope for my HMR" grammar nazi dance-offs, surely?

Best for some time

Quote Originally Posted by BigDuncs View Post
    Er, it's not wrong, at least not in the real world. In fact, it is less ambiguous than simply 'bullet' - which we've established can mean different things to different people. Big retailers use the term 'bullet head' as it is less confusing, so how can it be 'wrong'?

To call the 'bottom' of a rifle cartridge case the 'head' is just plain silly- on the opposite end of the case from the neck, shoulder and mouth for rifle cartridges....

We should change the term 'head' space to 'foot' space, now that would be an advance......

Isee the problem.

youre thinking with your little head, not your big head.

I don't even know what that means, talking about removing ambiguity, look what you've done now!

Isee the problem.

I don't even know what that means, talking about removing ambiguity, look what you've done now!
    What? Put my foot in it???

Quote Originally Posted by BigDuncs View Post
    What? Put my foot in it???

Ffs put your sensible sock on for a moment!

fair point well made sir but bullets is also just one word!

Dear Randy. I must point out that in the world of correctness BULLETS is plural, IE more than one. init. John F.

Isee the problem.

Ah now, what is the term headstamp referring to then ,tis on the part of the case where that little primer tingie goes. John F.

Quote Originally Posted by himself View Post
    Dear Randy. I must point out that in the world of correctness BULLETS is plural, IE more than one. init. John F.

Erm... Yes it means more than one bullet, like "Heads" in fact, but I'm fairly sure that "bullets" is still just one word...

I think we're beginning to get to the root of the matter here Mr 'self...

Erm... Yes it means more than one bullet, like "Heads" in fact, but I'm fairly sure that "bullets" is still just one word...

I think we're beginning to get to the root of the matter here Mr 'self...
    Dats alrite den.Sor.I is wore out now.John F.