Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: air ranger v rapid

air ranger v rapid

hi i am thinking about getting either a rapid or air ranger in 1.77 just wanted some generall opinions on them
    thanks paul

The Rapid is the only pcp that holds an attraction for me.

I regret not buying one when they were still making them.

I suspect the Rapid would hold its value better than the Air Ranger.

Sorry I can't say more.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

I have a Raw HM1000 beautiful airgun in .20 cal

rapid or air ranger

HI, I have a few mk1 rapids and 1 MFR , all were good guns and some more accurite than others, but the daystate air ranger , is in a diffrent class looks a lot beter and much more acurit, and i do test the all for acuricey,i have just sold my air ranger 22cal to my mate, who presherd me into selling him it, i have just boght a 177 cal daystate wolvereine and these are very simler , but every one is difrent what suits one man might not suit another man, i also have HW 100 F.S.B.carbine in 177 cal and it is as accurit as anythink , i usaly keep a 177cal and a 22cal , i just find it hard to part with a very good gun. hope this helps . ATVB bob.

The idea that a Daystate Air Ranger is is a 'different class' to the Rapid is to my mind 'an exaggeration'. They are both actually fairly similar rifles. Personally I found my Air Ranger fine but the Rapids suited me better. The ease of working on them is one factor I would use to put the Rapid ahead. I also don't like the bolt position on the AR, the Daystate magazine system is too prone to error and the position of the trigger suited me less well than on the Rapid. Against this the standard ambi thumbhole stock on the AR is much superior to the sporter stock fitted as standard on the Rapid. All in all they are both excellent air rifles which should give you a lifetime of good service.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Let's b frank both out dated both great guns but lot more modern stuff on the market these days hw u finding your edgun nick ????

Quote Originally Posted by paul57 View Post
    hi i am thinking about getting either a rapid or air ranger in 1.77 just wanted some generall opinions on them
    thanks paul
    I'd just love to shoot an airgun in 1.77 cal.
    Imagine the trajectory in sub 12fpe!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by dave goodall View Post
    Let's b frank both out dated both great guns but lot more modern stuff on the market these days hw u finding your edgun nick ????
    I like it very much. One problem for me as a lefty is the magazine sticking in my face. Apart from that it is powerful, reasonably economical and accurate.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

I have had both and still have an air ranger FAC in .22.

The honest answer is that both are very capable guns.

They are a similar format in terms of style and use too so I would recommend that you go for the gun that fits you best. Then I would look at the uses you will put them too in terms of what you need the tool to do for you.
    I had an air wolf too and I have an HW100.
    To be honest....my 100 is my reach for gun but it has been tweaked with an alloy cylinder and an adjustable butt and cheekpiece.
    Personally I find the Daystate slicker than the rapid I had but it was a .177 17 sshot rapid.
    The rapids can be worked on which is good but it is a very old design and the triggers were truly crap for most of its production run.
    The new models seem to be popular on the FT circuit so maybe some homework there would be of benefit.
    The air wolf was a nice rifle and quite but it had the big bottle on and was very long. I disliked carrying it in the field but nowadays most of my shooting is vehicle related due to the acreages I have to cover.
    I would certainly argue the one that fits you best would be the key for you.
    There applications are similar and the rapid has a lot of people who can mod it and upgrade it which it will probbly need. The trigger can be a disappointment on earlier rapids so you need to make sure your happy I am a bit fussy about trigger quality having shot FT and HFT but it is an important part of the rifle.
    Both are very capable. If Theoben were running today and it was new I would not have touched a rapid due to their shite customer service and the owners attitude.
    2nd hand and out of warranty I would consider another rapid especially if it was going FAC.
    The company that took over from Theoben....not sure I would feel happy with the customer service still but I would encourage you to do some homework there before making your own decisions.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Rapid for me all day long.shoot three calibres in fac format. Have tried the others and now I have these I'll never change. All have the mk 4 triggers which I think are awesome.for me simplicity every time.now I don't knock the older day states but think the new ones are too much bling.

thanks for the replys guys will see if i can try them both before i buy
    regards paul

What you need is a theoben epr which stands for extreme precision rifle a tiny carbine rapid designed for hunting and target superb trigger and a match honed barrel
    Or
    An airwolf

What about perspectives relating to maintenance and reliability (engineering design)?

I've not worked on either, but from lots of others comments the Rapid MK1 is a simple design, and therefore relatively easy to maintain. What about the Air Ranger?

To me they feel totally different so I'd suggest you at least shoulder both before you decide & if possible shoot both.
    If you're after new, Sportsman stock Daystate's while last time I was in there Heavitree gun & sport had a stunning looking Impact 200 on the wall.

Air Ranger for me although never owned a rapid so that's a biased opinion. What I can say about the ranger is it is a well constructed and reliable gun, with a great shot count. You don't need to worry about electrical problems as it is all mechanical and getting them serviced is probably easier than a rapid.
    Spot on accurate, a pleasure to shoot and looks good too.
    A well versatile rifle that's good for HFT, FT and hunting.
    Weihrauch HW97 .177, Weihrauch HW80 .22, Weihrauch HW77 .22