Thread: Webley Mk 3 year?

Webley Mk 3 year?

Hi,

Just bought a really nice shooting Mk 3 in .22.
    It has a 3 spot welded scope rail, the loading tap is more squared off than my 1961 example, the number on the underlever is A8593, & the trigger seems straighter, & the stock deeper, than the earlier one. It's also got a beautiful tiger stripe stock, & the general 'feel' is as nice as my early one.. My guess is it is mid/late '60's.

I know some will advise me to buy the Webley rifle book, but I've just bought the Gordon Bruce Webley Pistol one, so will wait a bit for the rifle book. It's on my Xmas list!

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

According to Thrale's book the factory ledger gives two possibles for the A prefix.
    The A was used twice for some reason.

Week ending 3/5/69 A8530-A8609 all .22 some marked 'SB' smooth bore?

Week ending 19/2/72 A8581-A8670 all .22 and assembled by "Jim" mainly.
    The later versions may have spray lacquer finish.
    Last edited by deejayuu; 02-08-2015 at 07:43 AM.

Thanks for that - & the PM's too. The Thales book has been put on my b'day list! Can't wait till Xmas...
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Sorry to ask but did I send you " A rough guide" at any time?

A rough guide?

Don't think so, but I did have some help from agbbs posters some 3(?) years back dating my earlier Mk 3 bought from here.

Bru.

MK III production

I can confirm without doubt your gun A8593 was in fact made W/E 19-02-1972 by ''Jim''. The reason is that the 'Factory Ledger' was actually given to me by Joe the bench foreman, on cessation of production. The superb book that Chris wrote used the info from that book. The 'day- book' was actually written by the bench hands as a correct record of their work as they were on piece work and at one time a W & S 'owning company' was not averse to trying to under pay workers with smaller production numbers than were actually made. Also the 'A' letter was used twice in succession was because I was told to me that W & S were too mean to buy another letter punch at the appropriate time; I can't vouch for that as gospel but that is what was said.
    Hope this is of some help.
    abellringer

I love it when Ray drops a historys lesson.. Really makes a difference knowing the providence of a gun..
    Great post!! 😀
    Donald

Thanks for the kind comment Donald. Perhaps I should have added that as I have only just made actual contact with Chris in the last couple of weeks, by actually offering to date a MKIII he has up for sale !!!!!!!! and one 'conversation' led to another and I then discovered I was actually talking to the 'man' himself. The original day book passed from myself to another W & S 'legend' some years ago and this is from whom Chris got his info, I knew nothing about this as I sadly do not have a copy of Chris's book [yet]. However it is great to know some of my W & S trivia has been appreciated by lots of people thanks to the efforts of Chris.
    abellringer

Well done again Ray. For our info. how did you decide "without doubt" that the rifle is the later A prefix batch?

Many thanks for the info, abellringer & all.
    As mentioned, I'm looking forward to my copy of the Thales book. Because of my ownership of later '70's Webley's, I'd not expected my early '70's one to be in the same league as my nearly mint 1961 example but it is.